Update on Quality Road

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Belmont website:

Quality Road, the Florida Derby winner, galloped once around Belmont Park's spacious oval on Monday morning, completing what is his first hiccup-free week of training in more than a month.

Forced to miss the Triple Crown series because of a quarter crack on his right front hoof, Quality Road received a new patch last week and was equipped with a Z bar shoe, according to trainer Jimmy Jerkens. Until Sunday, Quality Road had trained on the Belmont training track and one morning in the barn of Allen Jerkens - Jimmy's father - which is used as a galloping barn in the winter.

Jerkens said while Quality Road has the Z bar shoe, the area where the quarter is healing is not covered by a shoe.

"He's not quite as smooth as he would be if he had a regular shoe, but he's getting used to it," Jerkens said. "He's getting better every day."

Quality Road could return to the work tab this weekend, but Jerkens wouldn't speculate on when the horse could return to the races.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Thats Great News Cat Im Glad To Hear He Is Coming Along.........but Any Post Concerning This Horse Is Bound To Bring Out The One And Only.................................fill In That Blank..lol..lol..
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2009
    A month after the Derby, and the quarter-crack still hasn't healed yet?

Refresh my memory. What was it that blacksmith (Ian McKinley) said a couple of weeks before the Derby? That this crack was no big deal, and it would be "a walk in the park" or some such nonsense?
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    No hoof no horse. I went through it last year all the way with BB. Seems this horses feet will never be sound. What a shame. My fingers are crossed and hope to see him in the Travers.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Draynay wrote: »
    No hoof no horse. I went through it last year all the way with BB. Seems this horses feet will never be sound. What a shame. My fingers are crossed and hope to see him in the Travers.

Who will you be on in the Traves if they both reach the gate, Rachel or QR?
  • edited June 2009
    Fbwinners....................you Stumped Her/him ...why Such Tough Questions..lol..lol...
    edited June 2009
    Just a reminder, Quality Road reportedly had ZERO foot problems before running on that souped-up surface on Florida Derby Day. And also reportedly, that's where the crack was first noticed, in the winner's circle after the Florida Derby.

It's also a rather well-known fact that horses who ran that day have not been running very well since then. Might not be a coincidence.
  • edited June 2009
    Cat...............i Agree Santana Six Ran Saturday At Monmouth And Didnt Run Well At All.........friday At Belmont In Race 9 The Hilltop Stakes One Mile Turf "affirmatiff" In....terrible Pre Belmont Card..i Just Looked 3 Stakes Toal Combined Purses $365,000 ..im Going Across The Pond...epsom Bound For Me ....
    edited June 2009
    How are you betting the English Derby? Do you have an account with Ladbrokes or something? Or do the normal US-based tote companies offer it? I haven't been able to bet any European race other than the Arc, ever. I thought about opening an account with an English firm at one time, but decided against it because i didn't think i would use it that often.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Just a reminder, Quality Road reportedly had ZERO foot problems before running on that souped-up surface on Florida Derby Day. And also reportedly, that's where the crack was first noticed, in the winner's circle after the Florida Derby.

It's also a rather well-known fact that horses who ran that day have not been running very well since then. Might not be a coincidence.

That day was just a simple disaster for all horses involved. Just off the top of my head.
    Quality Road-Quarter Crack
    Dunkirk-Flopped in Derby
    Theregoesjojo-Ran awful in the Blue Grass
    Big Drama-Poor performance in the Preakness (granted she lock horns w/ RA)
    Thisonesforphil-Lost in a minor graded stakes by a fair margin.

I'd like to actually research some others that day...
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited June 2009

I should think gulfstream better not do that again next time if more than one horse comes out of there with a quarter crack or another injury there will be a lawsuit bigtime.
  • bbixlerbbixler Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    tD-Cat -

twinspires.com allows you to bet this.....
  • edited June 2009
    Cat...........as Bbbixler Stated Earlier Twin Spires Takes These Wagers..........philadelphia Park Which Operates Phonebet.com Offers English / Irish Racing Year Round....i Called The Player Services To See If They Would Be Accepting Wagers For Epsom They Said No.....im Giving A Buddy Of Mine Some Cash And Using His Twin Spires Account For Friday / Saturday Epsom....