Surgery on Dunkirk for Condylar Fracture

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Surgery on Dunkirk for Condylar Fracture
By Lenny Shulman
Updated: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:47 AM
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:39 AM
Email Print RSS ShareThis

Dunkirk, who ran a gutsy, front-running second in the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), came out of the race with a non-displaced condylar fracture of the left hind cannon bone and will undergo surgery June 9 at the new Ruffian Equine Medical Center across the street from Belmont Park. Dr. Patricia Hogan will perform the operation.

“He will have a screw placed in the area that will stabilize the injury while it heals,” said trainer Todd Pletcher in a release. “We anticipate a full recovery and a return to racing later this fall.”

The Belmont was just the fifth start in Dunkirk’s career, which began with a maiden victory Jan. 24 at Gulfstream Park by 5 ¾ lengths. He next won an allowance event by daylight at the same venue, then ran second behind Quality Road in the Florida Derby (gr. I). Dunkirk was a disappointing 11th in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), but came back with a strong effort in the Belmont, carving out honest fractions early before being passed by Mine That Bird in the stretch. But Dunkirk came back on to finish ahead of Mine That Bird, and 2 ¾ lengths behind winner Summer Bird.

Dunkirk (Unbridled’s Song—Secret Status, by A. P. Indy) is owned by Michael Tabor, Sue Magnier, and Derrick Smith. He was bred in Kentucky by W. S. Farish, James Elkins, and W. T. Webber Jr.

He has earned $393,200.

Dunkirk was a $3.7-million Keeneland September yearling sale purchase.

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    Wow.... what a gutsy performance ! Get well soon Dunkirk !
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Just think how many good 3 yo fell off this year, Old Fashioned, The Pamplemouse, Quality Road, Dunkirk, and so on. Then we have sheiks buying up all stallions and any good 2yo or 3yo that win 3-4 in a row and run good speed numbers. They bought Everday's Hero after his victory on Preakness day and he was transferred to Kirian McLaughlin after his Belmont race on Saturday. Just think of all the 3yo from last year and the prior that were retired or go hurt. We have no more handicap horses in this country and the Grade 1 quality is flat out horrible.

We have Andy Beyer and his bunch adjusting speed numbers all the time now, I noticed this week that they bumped CMan Peter Pan number to 100 and when it was first published its was a 98, this is getting flat out noncredible. Just think Mine That Bird runs back to back races 20 points higher and he gave Summer Bird a 100 for the Belmont, I'm sure Dunkird and MTB got a97 so now MTB has ran is 3 highest numbers of lifetime during the TC run. As long as we have all good horses retired or sold to another country we will steadily have a decline in this game. Again this year they are having the BC at Santa Anita and we will have more of a influx of Euros come to town as to what happend last year in Santa Anita. Why did they decide to run back to back BC at Santa Anita I have no idea. I guess the game is just in that type of state of a decline.

Another thing is how so many people make claims to HOY and 3 YO champion when we have just finished up the Triple Crown races. I guess if Rachel comes back and runs against filles and wins out she will get 3you champion as all the colts except MTB or on the shelf and or have been on the shelf. I truly don't ever see us seeing another great champion as this game is all about breeding now and we might even see a former claimer win the BC if they continue to run it on the sticky stuff. Remember Jess Jackson says he won't run Rachel on it and Lady Zen team aren't going to ship her off the west coast, so that is dead in the water unless some track comes up with a great marketing promo worth big bucks for either side.
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Draynay wrote: »

Mine That Bird put the Fear into him and he pulled something.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited June 2009

Funny you say this. Old Fashioned ran a VERY similar race in the Arkansas Derby. Grueling early fractions only to just get beat and injure himself in defeat.

Except when Old Fashioned did it, you criticized him.

Now I have never been an OF supporter myself, but its contradicting posts like this that make people despise you.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    I don't believe Old Fashioned was in a Triple Crown race nor was he in the most demanding race THE BELMONT.

Unlike Old Fashioned when Dunkirk was eyed by the Derby mud winner Dunkirk found another gear and beat him to the wire. Old Fashioned surrendered. Dunkirk earned his guts chasing a record breaking Quality Road and never giving up. He is a tough horse that has had to take two tough second places.

I criticized Old Fashioned because i always felt he was cheap speed. When people were singing the praises fo Old Fashioned and Freisan Fire... I just didn't see it. Where are all the Freisan Fire experts now ?
    edited June 2009
    I don't believe Old Fashioned was in a Triple Crown race nor was he in the most demanding race THE BELMONT.

Unlike Old Fashioned when Dunkirk was eyed by the Derby mud winner Dunkirk found another gear and beat him to the wire. Old Fashioned surrendered. Dunkirk earned his guts chasing a record breaking Quality Road and never giving up. He is a tough horse that has had to take two tough second places.

I criticized Old Fashioned because i always felt he was cheap speed. When people were singing the praises fo Old Fashioned and Freisan Fire... I just didn't see it. Where are all the Freisan Fire experts now ?

Have you not realized that day at Gulfstream was nothing other than a conveyor belt? Hey how did record breaking This One's for Phil do last weekend?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    No disrespect, but this thread is now the same as most here, same old redundant he said she said. This shit is getting old and as I left LVA Sports I'm about to do the same at this forum. This is the only fourm I post on a regular basis. That is because of Edward is a class act and this fourm used to be above par with the regular posters, but now it's a big elementary school CIRCLE JERK!!!!!!!!!!

fb
  • edited June 2009
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Just think how many good 3 yo fell off this year, Old Fashioned, The Pamplemouse, Quality Road, Dunkirk, and so on. Then we have sheiks buying up all stallions and any good 2yo or 3yo that win 3-4 in a row and run good speed numbers. They bought Everday's Hero after his victory on Preakness day and he was transferred to Kirian McLaughlin after his Belmont race on Saturday. Just think of all the 3yo from last year and the prior that were retired or go hurt. We have no more handicap horses in this country and the Grade 1 quality is flat out horrible.

We have Andy Beyer and his bunch adjusting speed numbers all the time now, I noticed this week that they bumped CMan Peter Pan number to 100 and when it was first published its was a 98, this is getting flat out noncredible. Just think Mine That Bird runs back to back races 20 points higher and he gave Summer Bird a 100 for the Belmont, I'm sure Dunkird and MTB got a97 so now MTB has ran is 3 highest numbers of lifetime during the TC run. As long as we have all good horses retired or sold to another country we will steadily have a decline in this game. Again this year they are having the BC at Santa Anita and we will have more of a influx of Euros come to town as to what happend last year in Santa Anita. Why did they decide to run back to back BC at Santa Anita I have no idea. I guess the game is just in that type of state of a decline.

Another thing is how so many people make claims to HOY and 3 YO champion when we have just finished up the Triple Crown races. I guess if Rachel comes back and runs against filles and wins out she will get 3you champion as all the colts except MTB or on the shelf and or have been on the shelf. I truly don't ever see us seeing another great champion as this game is all about breeding now and we might even see a former claimer win the BC if they continue to run it on the sticky stuff. Remember Jess Jackson says he won't run Rachel on it and Lady Zen team aren't going to ship her off the west coast, so that is dead in the water unless some track comes up with a great marketing promo worth big bucks for either side.

FB......I HATE TO SAY IT BUT THE DECLINE HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR THE PAST 25 YEARS AS YOU STATED...THE ARAB OIL-MEN AND THE JAPANESE HAVE BOUGHT UP ALL THE A-1 STALLIONS AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.....NUMEROUS LARGE BREEDING FARMS IN KENTUCKY HAVE SHUT DOWN IN THE PAST 20 YEARS AS THE ECONIMICS ARE DEAD IN THIS GAME......THE REASON FOR BACK TO BACK SANTA ANITA BREEDERS CUP IS RELATIVELY SIMPLE IN MY MIND....MORE EUROS FILL THE FIELDS EQUALS BIGGER BREEDER BONUSES AND THE EUROS WONT COME FOR DIRT AT CHURCHILL OR BELMONT.........AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST THIS THREAD IS FULL OF MORONS WHO WOULDNT NO ONE END OF A HORSE FROM ITS HEAD TO ITS ASS...........OFF TO SARATOGA FOR THE MEET JULY 29TH..M.O.A.
  • jtc1984jtc1984 Banned
    edited June 2009
    FB....I value your opinions very much....lets not let this place fall apart....we all know its really that one antagonizing jerk that is taking it down...the humor and comraderie here has been fun in my little time participating....Edward needs to push the off button on this guy....I go on a few other sports forums and they are class acts due to the moderators weeding out the crap....its very obvious who that problem is here....I think its time for Edward to act....
    edited June 2009
    jtc1984 wrote: »
    FB....I value your opinions very much....lets not let this place fall apart....we all know its really that one antagonizing jerk that is taking it down...the humor and comraderie here has been fun in my little time participating....Edward needs to push the off button on this guy....I go on a few other sports forums and they are class acts due to the moderators weeding out the crap....its very obvious who that problem is here....I think its time for Edward to act....

On the other horseracing forum I post on Draynay got the ban hammer in about 5 days lol

I've noticed his shenanigans bringing down the maturity level of my own posts :surrender:
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    jtc1984 wrote: »

PERSPECTIVE ! This is a horse racing blog ! You are here to talk about horses. Calling me a jerk and calling on Edward to be a class act and kick me off is a bit insane. I do not call people names I simply state my opinions. It seems like there are a few of you on here that cannot defend yourself and need a mob mentality to help you.

If you have a problem with me state the problem and I am sure it can be resolved. I really could care less if you like me so don't waste our time and go there. But if I have said something about or to you that offends you let me know.

I am sure we would all like to get back to horse racing and less whining and complaining. :cry: