Rachel Alexandra has some competition for top 3yo filly

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bettingzone:

Stacelita is as short as 6/1 (from 16s) for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe after her stunning French Oaks win at Chantilly on Sunday afternoon.

Settled in second behind the pace-setting Onega Lake, jockey Christophe Lemaire had an armchair ride all the way and his mount's acceleration was stunning when he pressed the button just inside the two pole.

Evoking memories of the great Zarkava, who won this race on the way to victory in the Arc, bookmakers were quick to cut Jean-Claude Rouget's filly for the Longchamp showpiece.

Sky Bet and Paddy Power are as short as 6/1 about the Monsun filly, with Ladbrokes and bet365 amongst a host of bookies offering 8/1.

Matt Doyle of Sky Bet said: "We were very impressed with Stacelita and while she has some way to go match Zarkava, she is a filly out of the very top drawer and is very much in the same mould."

Both Stan James and Coral go 7s, and the former firm's spokesman Charlie McCann said: "Before the race comparisons with the great Zarkava, who won the corresponding race last year, appeared fanciful, but after this afternoon's quite breathtaking victory is it possible that the French have another superstar filly?"

Coral's David Stevens echoed those sentiments, saying: "Zarkava proved to be too good for the colts in last year's Arc, and having won the French Oaks in similar style, Stacelita has to be considered a credible contender to emulate that great filly at Longchamp in October."

Investec Derby winner Sea The Stars remains the general 4-1 favourite for the prestigious Group One contest.

Comments

• randyfrandyf Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    is your web site down?
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    Lol... she has no competition for HOY. If she improves off the rest watch out.
  • bbixlerbbixler Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Draynay wrote: »
    Lol... she has no competition for HOY. If she improves off the rest watch out.

If she get's HOY that's a joke. How do you win HOY and not run in any of the Breeder's Cup races?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2009
    I expect Rachel will indeed run in the Breeders Cup. I also think if she goes in the Classic, it'll have a lot to do with Zenyatta running in the Distaff. I doubt those two will ever face each other, unfortunately.

Regarding Rachel having "no competition for HOY", what does that have to do with this European filly?
    edited June 2009
    Here's a good video of the French Oaks. Stacelita is laying in second, with the jockey wearing reddish-orange silks:

YouTube - "Prix De Diane" 2009 à Chantilly,vainqueur // winner // "Stacelita"
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    I expect Rachel will indeed run in the Breeders Cup. I also think if she goes in the Classic, it'll have a lot to do with Zenyatta running in the Distaff. I doubt those two will ever face each other, unfortunately.

Regarding Rachel having "no competition for HOY", what does that have to do with this European filly?

Jackson came out today stating early that he will not run her due to the surface.
    I believe him after last year's BC with Curlin. He is obviously hostile toward the surface.
    I'm excited to see her possibly challenge the boys in the Haskell/Travers.

No Breeders' Cup For Rachel Alexandra | BloodHorse.com
    edited June 2009
    I hadn't seen that article yet (thanks for the heads-up), but Jackson had already made some statements to that effect. That being said, i'm not sure his ego will allow him to keep his star filly on the sidelines while Zenyatta and company grab all the headlines in the Breeders Cup. I mean, it was pretty obvious that Asmussen didn't want to run Rachel in the Belmont, and Jackson was keeping that option open as long as he could. Besides, if Jackson is looking for a HOY award (rather than just the 3yo filly award) , then i think Rachel would likely have to beat males in the Classic. Even Zenyatta didn't get HOY last year after capping off a perfect season in the Distaff.

Incidentally, i don't think the surface had anything to do with Curlin getting beat last year. He ran a good race, and was beaten on the square by a couple of top-caliber Europeans. Real easy for Asmussen and Jackson to blame the surface afterwards. Besides, if they hate synthetic surfaces so much, why did they constantly train Curlin over the Keeneland polytrack? I think it's just an excuse.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    If she wins the the Jockey Gold its all over ! She never has to step foot in California. No one would deny her HOY if she were to win against older males. I don't know her path but undefeated with a Triple Crown win makes her tough to beat. Zenyatta's Pride being the State Champion...makes her just that.... the state champion.
    edited June 2009
    If she wins the the Jockey Gold its all over ! She never has to step foot in California. No one would deny her HOY if she were to win against older males. I don't know her path but undefeated with a Triple Crown win makes her tough to beat. Zenyatta's Pride being the State Champion...makes her just that.... the state champion.

So you're telling me that if she wins the Jockey Gold Cup at Belmont, which gives her an automatic entry into the Breeder's Cup Classic, and the connections choose to not run in ANY of the Breeder's Cup races she will still win horse of the year?

You better root for some 50-1 shots all day long on Breeder's Cup Day for her to win with that avoiding path. As I said in my first post, that would be a joke.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    What else do you want ??? She goes undefeated racing at 5 or 6 different tracks beats the fillies by 20 and wins the Preakness without being threatened and then goes on to BEAT older horses..... who would deserve it more ?

List for me all the fillies in history that have beaten the Kentucky Derby winner. Maybe you need to look at what she has accomplished already and compare it to any other filly in history and see that she is already in very rare air.
    edited June 2009
    Zarkava beat older males in the Arc (which is a helluva lot tougher race than the Preakness).

Goldikova beat older males in the Breeders Cup Mile.

That was just last year. So let's not pretend that Rachel Alexandra is the most accomplished filly in recent years. She's not.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    I could care less about a turf filly. Discreet to say Rachel is not already one of the most accomplished 3 year old fillies in history is just plain crazy talk. How many fillies in HISTORY have won the filly championship and taken on the boys 2 weeks later and whipped them in a Triple Crown race ???

Give the horse her due she is doing things no other filly has ever done. EVER. I am still waiting for that list of Fillies that have beaten the Kentucky Derby winner.
    edited June 2009
    How many fillies even face the Derby winner? Rags to Riches didn't face Street Sense when she won the Belmont a couple of years ago. She did beat eventual HOY Curlin however. The filly Eight Belles had a similar resume when she ran second to Big Brown in the Derby, btw. Worth mentioning she was 4 lengths clear of the other eighteen colts, too.

I never suggested that Rachel wasn't one of the most accomplished 3yo fillies ever; certainly she is. But you suggested her current resume is superior to anything that any filly has ever accomplished in their entire career. That's not even close to being true.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    No Discreet I believe you are putting words in my mouth. However, her 3 year old campaign has been flawless and right now she sits on top for HOY honors. Eight Belles didn't win a Triple Crown race and Rags never won another race after Belmont. I doubt we will have such issues with Rachel A.

Should she show up and win the Travers at the track of champions her Oaks win, Preakness win, along with the Travers and undefeated 3 year old season would be more then enough to place her ahead of any horse this year and would cement her place as one of the greatest ever.

Granted.... first things first... but she is 3 wins away from immortality.
    edited June 2009
    A Travers win would be awfully nice. I can't remember a filly ever winning the Travers. I do believe she's probably the best 3yo in the country, but I don't believe she's better than Zenyatta.
    edited June 2009

Granted.... first things first... but she is 3 wins away from immortality.

So which is it? First you say she has no competion for HOY and now you say she is 3 wins away? Do you always talk out both sides of your mouth?
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited June 2009
    Dray i agree with you, RA is at the top of HOTY. Zenyatta with one race all year, only racing against weak fields, which is what the one Sat is, will not get HOTY. There are horses that can knock off RA, for example if QR comes back big in the Travers, or if Einstien wins the grade one triple on all surfaces. In a race zen vs RA , Zen would need a rabit otherwise she aint catching RA, that filly can twelve clip and just keep going, one run isn't gonna catch her.
    edited June 2009
    Once again Draynay, Zenyatta has already won outside of California, beating a Breeders Cup winner in the process. It's also worth mentioning she shipped to Churchill to run on Derby weekend, but was scratched when the track came up sloppy. Your argument that Zenyatta never leaves the state is simply wrong.

Besides, i never heard anything about how Dunkirk had "never won outside of Florida" when you were touting him for the Derby.

Lastly, Zenyatta defeated Life is Sweet last time out, so don't pretend that it was a weak field. Life is Sweet is very possibly better than Rachel Alexandra.

Btw, i'm wondering how you feel about Ventura. She's a top-class filly who has performed very well against males on more than one occasion. You act like RA is the only filly who has ever faced males with any success. What about Ventura?
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited June 2009
    Gee Discreet... I disagree but have a glorious day.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    DC let it go man. No matter what you put on the table, is cold hard facts. RA fans and not Handicappers,like ourselve, will just not get it. Anyway, who do you like inthe race prior to The Mother Goose. I like Big Jerome, if he get in @ 15-1 ML. If so P3 will be Big Jerome with RA with Seperatist.
    edited June 2009
    I gave out Get Stormy the last time he ran. Looked well-positioned most of the way but just didn't fire in the stretch. Might not have liked the soft turf, hard to say.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    DC & Danip, I hope you guys pick up some money on my Pick3. ( $150. ) for each ticket. The EX. 13-5 ( Big Jerome & Get Stormy paid $600.