After the Woodward, Rachel Alexandra could be done for the year

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

Majority owner Jess Jackson said on a national teleconference Sept. 1 that plans for Rachel Alexandra following Saturday’s $750,000 Woodward Stakes (gr. I) are up in the air, and he did not dismiss the idea of putting her away for the year.

“We have several options, including the Beldame Stakes (gr. I), if Zenyatta should show up for that,” Jackson said. “But if she should win the Woodward, there would be no necessity to run her again. She’s a tired horse in a way, which is why we’ve been giving her long periods of time between races. We plan on racing her in 2010. It’s going to be her decision whether she’s ready to race after the Woodward. If Zenyatta should come to the Beldame that would certainly direct us to that race.

“As we did with Curlin , history is always on our mind. Every time she passes one of the hurdles we’ve given her we go on to the next. It’s all about defining her greatness.”

Jackson also quashed any ideas of Rachel Alexandra running in next year’s Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) at the new Meydan track, because of the installation of a synthetic surface (Tapeta).

Jackson said he is not taking the Woodward lightly, and realizes it is a tall task to take on older horses.

“We’re not discounting any of the horses in this race,” Jackson said. “These horses are the best of their age group.”

As for the decision to point for the Woodward instead of the Travers (gr. I), Jackson said, “The trainer has the health and condition of his charge primarily on his mind, and I respect that. He has intimate daily contact with the horse. That’s what Steve and Scott (Blasi) communicate to me. I look at the long term picture. I felt Rachel could have handled the Travers. We had already defeated Summer Bird and I felt Quality Road wasn’t quite ready for her yet. But taking on older horses was the next defining factor. Had we known we were going to face Zenyatta and a star quality field in Beldame, I might have made a different decision.”

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    I saw this coming. With the heavy race load already on her from this season and the fact that she is not having anything to do with the BC this was bound to happen.

All I can say is that I hope the Moss' decide to take their skirts off and come play.

Otherwise it's gonna be a long wait for 2010 RA :sleepy:
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited September 2009
    Would love to see Zenyatta and Rachel matchup, but the way things are going now, and say if Rachel does win the Woodward, is it even necessary anymore? Rachel seems to be in a class by herself.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I think it'd be a whale of a matchup, but it would have to occur within a normally-run race, with a few other speed-types besides Rachel. Her pace advantage would (likely) be too much for Zenyatta to overcome in a one-on-one match race, and i think everybody knows it.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited September 2009
    After her last, i don't think Zen's connections are going to take her out of Cali, let alone face colts in the Classic. Yes it was a slow pace, and she came from far back, but she does that in all of her races, and had beaten better than that, by more than that. She won't come to the Beldame, and will go in the Ladies Classic.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    Danip wrote: »
    After her last, i don't think Zen's connections are going to take her out of Cali, let alone face colts in the Classic. Yes it was a slow pace, and she came from far back, but she does that in all of her races, and had beaten better than that, by more than that. She won't come to the Beldame, and will go in the Ladies Classic.

See everyone says this and that about the last but I strongly believe she overcame a HUGE disadvantage to pull that win off.

1-Pace was slooooww
    2-Mike Smith moved too late
    3-Overconfidence

If Zenyatta is gonna have a shot at beating RA, that giant sweeping move is not going to work. Mike Smith is going to have to ride her tactically as she wont be able to afford losing all of that ground.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited September 2009
    FlyinLate,
    My point is that she over comes late moves and slow paces all the time, and against better horses. I don't think she can be ridden tactically and still have the same kick. RA can run on the lead or rate, and that ability makes her dangerous, and what make her even better is that, she always has a burst of speed, even after chasing a hot pace. It's just my opinion, but i think she's a step slower than last year.