Biggest overlay in the Classic?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited November 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
One horse who is getting no attention at all (and i think is a major contender) is Gio Ponti. Very talented multiple Grade 1 winner who is proven over the surface, and also at the distance.

No disgrace at all in losing his last race, as 1 1/2 miles may have been slightly beyond his scope, and the race was run during a driving rainstorm over a swamp-like surface.

How he's flying under the radar here is completely beyond me. Might be the biggest overlay in the race.

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    I like Awesome Gem. Fits the profile of Volponi from several years back.
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    That Classic is for the Birds---Across The Board on both of them.:thumbup:
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    One horse who is getting no attention at all (and i think is a major contender) is Gio Ponti. Very talented multiple Grade 1 winner who is proven over the surface, and also at the distance.

No disgrace at all in losing his last race, as 1 1/2 miles may have been slightly beyond his scope, and the race was run during a driving rainstorm over a swamp-like surface.

How he's flying under the radar here is completely beyond me. Might be the biggest overlay in the race.

Great minds think alike. He will be on my pick 4 / 6 tickets.

fb
    edited November 2009
    Best Horse Now Is Summer Bird. See that period behind Summer Bird.:thumbup1:
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    InTheFog wrote: »
    Best Horse Now Is Summer Bird. See that period behind Summer Bird.:thumbup1:

Neither bird will be on any ticket of mine outside of the 4th slot on a 10c super.
    I think Summer Bird is a great horse but don't think he's on the same level as Zenyatta, Gio Ponti, Rip Van Winkle, Einstein, etc.
    edited November 2009
    Another Thing Kent D said Summer Bird is trying to make him say, he is the best horse he ever rode and taking that with a grain of salt and a couple beers, I'm on Summer Bird.:thumbup1::thumbup1:
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    I will be real suprised to see Lady Zen win the race much less hit the board. She is to me a slower horse this year. I think she was much better last year. But I will be using her in my tri,super, and hi 5 tickets. Because she has won 13 in a row against nobody. I wish her the best in BC Classic is they run her. She will be greatly appreciated for bettors that need her in the race to get better prices on others.

fb
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Kent says that all the time. He must have amnesia.

I wouldn't put it past Summer Bird to win the race though, he's an improving sort who can definitely handle the distance. I'm a bit concerned about him, but not overly so.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    InTheFog wrote: »
    Another Thing Kent D said Summer Bird is trying to make him say, he is the best horse he ever rode and taking that with a grain of salt and a couple beers, I'm on Summer Bird.:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Just an fyi...
    Summer Bird was originally trained to run out west on the Southern Cali circuit. His connections shipped him out east because they felt like he wasn't getting over the surface well at all and didn't feel he'd reach his potential there.
    This may have something to do with his being cross entered in the Turf, even though its highly unlikely he'll run in the Turf. Not saying he can't win, but I just think there are other ways to go here.

Best of luck to everyone in the Classic.
    I still don't know who I'll be betting :idoit:
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Nice effort by Gio Ponti @ 12/1. Too bad he was second-best. The exacta with Zenyatta paid $43.70 for a buck.