Bob Baffert picking Zenyatta in the Classic?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited November 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Ran across this quote from Baffert on the Sporting Life site this morning:

"As far as the Classic, it's all about Zenyatta. Richard's Kid is coming into the race as good as he was at Del Mar (prior to his 24-1 upset in the Pacific Classic). He's as ready as I can get him, and I'm hoping for the best. We need luck," he said.

Comments

• randyfrandyf Senior Member
    edited October 2009
    can i buy friday and saturday for breeders cup? how much and how/ your site has a weekend package but it is for saturday and sunday
    thanks
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited October 2009
    DC, mind if I ask which direction you're leaning in the Juvenile?
    Always my 2nd favorite race of the BC and your opinion always helps.

Im really gearing toward Aikenite after his last run. Really closed like the wind in the stretch and should be in tip-top shape for this race. Lookin at Lucky seems to burn me everytime but as usual I'll be playing against.

On another note, I've been hearing alot about Zensational being the big "bet against". Other than not having to work extremely hard for the lead I'm not seeing too many other negatives to the lightly raced colt. He's one of the few favorites who is likely to see my money. Why do you think this is?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Zensational a "big bet against"? Where in the hell did you hear that??? The only reservation I was having was that the surface was definitely anti-speed during the first part of the meet, but that looks to have passed now. Probably can't take a short price on him (considering the competition), but he's about the strongest favorite you'll find on the card. Just my opinion, of course.
    edited October 2009
    Regarding the Juvenile, I haven't gone over it too closely yet, but Lookin at Lucky will be tough to beat. Can't really find any fault with him, but I don't think you can play him at the projected price. Aikenite does interest me. So does Dave in Dixie, who was closing pretty well in the Norfolk but way too far off the pace in my opinion. Could improve dramatically in his second two-turn start if he gets the right trip, and may be overlooked at the windows. Gallant Gent has a right to improve as well, and I think everyone knows how much I like him. That's just off the top of my head though; like I said I haven't really looked at the race yet. McPeek's horse (the one who beat Aikenite) deserves a look as well. Nobles's Promise, I think his name is.
    edited October 2009
    Zensational a "big bet against"? Where in the hell did you hear that??? The only reservation I was having was that the surface was definitely anti-speed during the first part of the meet, but that looks to have passed now. Probably can't take a short price on him (considering the competition), but he's about the strongest favorite you'll find on the card. Just my opinion, of course.

I figured w/ Zenyatta going to Classic he'd be the shortest price of the entire BC next to possibly Goldikova. A couple other forums I frequent have discussed Sprint and all of them mention Zensational as the bet against of the BC lol.

Anyways, you happen to have any Juvenile thoughts or are not diclosing them? :shrr:
    edited October 2009
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Anyways, you happen to have any Juvenile thoughts or are not diclosing them? :shrr:

Disregard, you posted part on Juvenile while I was posting this lol
    edited October 2009
    randyf wrote: »
    can i buy friday and saturday for breeders cup? how much and how/ your site has a weekend package but it is for saturday and sunday
    thanks

We're offering a special 3-day Breeders Cup Weekend package for $30. It will cover Fri/Sat/Sun, obviously. Details are on the website, located on the "Subscribe Now" page.
  • randyfrandyf Senior Member
    edited October 2009
    thanks
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    Regarding the Juvenile, I haven't gone over it too closely yet, but Lookin at Lucky will be tough to beat. Can't really find any fault with him, but I don't think you can play him at the projected price. Aikenite does interest me. So does Dave in Dixie, who was closing pretty well in the Norfolk but way too far off the pace in my opinion. Could improve dramatically in his second two-turn start if he gets the right trip, and may be overlooked at the windows. Gallant Gent has a right to improve as well, and I think everyone knows how much I like him. That's just off the top of my head though; like I said I haven't really looked at the race yet. McPeek's horse (the one who beat Aikenite) deserves a look as well. Nobles's Promise, I think his name is.

McPeek cleared a big hurdle on Sunday when Noble’s Promise
    breezed five furlongs in :59.20 at Santa Anita Park, which was his first
    workout since winning the Dixiana Breeders’ Futurity (G1) on October
    10. An ankle infection forced him to miss a scheduled workout last
    weekend.
    “He didn’t miss any training, just a workout,” McPeek said. “I decided
    not to breeze him last weekend because it just wasn’t 100%. We
    brought five out here, so out of the five, you have to expect something
    to go wrong with one of them.
    “We had to put him on some light antibiotics, and he had filling in
    it. It was one of those deals where it just needed to work itself out.
    My preference would have been to work him a half-mile last weekend
    and come back five [furlongs] this weekend, but today we just
    gave him a strong five-eighths. He galloped out strong. I think he
    went three-quarters in 1:13.”
    edited November 2009
    Great info FB, thanks.
    edited November 2009

Just read that Dave in Dixie has been withdrawn from the Juvenile. Other defections include Kodiak Kowboy from the Sprint and Allicansayis Wow from the F&M Sprint.