"Show Me The Money" begins next Sunday (Nov. 15)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited November 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Hollywood Park:

INGLEWOOD, Calif. (Nov. 4, 2009) — The popular Show Me The Money contest — featuring a winner-take-all prize of $2,500 — will return at Hollywood Park’s 27-day Autumn Meet, which begins Friday, Nov. 13, and runs through Sunday, Dec. 20.

Contestants pick one horse each racing day. If the horse runs first, second or third, contestants remain in the contest. If the horse runs out of the money, contestants are eliminated.

Deadline for contestants to make their first selections is ten minutes before the first race on Sunday, Nov. 15 — final day of opening week. Additional information is available by visiting the Hollywood Park web site at Hollywood Park and clicking the Show Me The Money logo.

Hollywood Park - Show Me The Money

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Just wondering, how many of you guys have signed up for this? I was thinking we could post our contest selections in this thread each day, in order to follow each other's progress and discuss strategy...
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    I Will Be Playing...ill Post My Selections
    edited November 2009
    Sunday, Nov. 15

Going with Bootleg Annie in Race 3. Hard to ignore the heavy favorite in a 5-horse field.

Regarding strategy for the contest, at times it might be worth taking a stand against a big favorite (like this one), one that a large percentage of the contest figures to be using. That way, you have the potential to knock a lot of people out. However, i don't think it's worth doing just for the sake of doing. You need to have another horse that you feel very confident in, otherwise you're liable to get knocked out yourself. And that's the while point of the contest; staying alive! Also keep in mind that it's good to stockpile as many WINS as you can, because if you're lucky enough to remain in contention to the end, wins act as a tiebreaker. For instance, let's say that there are only two players left, and both get knocked out on the same day. The player who had more outright-wins (as opposed to seconds or thirds) would be the winner.
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    sunday.....11/15.....race 1.....best of intentions
    edited November 2009
    Interesting choice...good luck today!

Btw, anyone recognize the 2-horse in that race? What a disappointment he turned out to be. Some kind of injury, i guess...
    edited November 2009
    Best of Intentions finished off the board. Sorry Turfman.

I'm still alive (just barely) after Bootleg Annie ran third...in a 4-horse field.

Rayphil, who did you go with today?
    edited November 2009
    There were 2391 entries in the contest. More than a third of them (862) got knocked out on the first day.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    There were 2391 entries in the contest. More than a third of them (862) got knocked out on the first day.

That's crazy. I dont understand how everyone wouldn't have used #2 or #4 in that 4 horse race.
    Betting a random number would even give you a 75% survival shot.

Unfortunately for my dumbass I completely forgot to sign up :idoit:
    So I guess I'm worse than the foolish bettors.
    edited November 2009
    Since it was the first day of the contest (and it started on an NFL Sunday), i'm thinking perhaps a lot of people forgot to get their picks in. I'm with you, i would've expected far more people on that short-field race.
    edited November 2009
    I'm taking High Success in Race 1 today...
    edited November 2009
    Going with Coatcheck Girl in Race 2. Soft little 5-horse field here...
    edited November 2009
    Coatcheck Girl wins as a heavy favorite, still alive. Roughly half of the contest has been eliminated so far...
    edited November 2009
    Tough card tonight, can't find anything i really like. Decided to go with Annihilation in Race 3. She's 7-for-10 in the money lifetime, wih her only off-theboard finishes coming in her career debut, and each her two route starts. She's also unbeaten (2-for-2) sprinting over this course, and should be sitting a good trip hee right behind the two frontrunners Reba Is Tops and Rainbow's Song. Very tough spot here (despite being onlya 5-horse field), but she can be expected to run well.
    edited November 2009
    Still alive with Annihilation running second...two-thirds of the contest has been eliminated.
    edited November 2009
    Went with Kimmyv in Race 4 today.
    edited November 2009
    Still alive, as Kimmyv runs third.
    edited November 2009
    I'm going with Make Music For Me in Race 3 today. I actually bet this horse in the Keeneland Breeder's Futurity, so it's hard not to like him dropping into a maiden event.

PS - Brady Blue Eyes is also entered here, and for some reason he's being listed @ 6/1. The horse continues to get no respect; good exacta possibility.
    edited November 2009
    Well, im out of the contest, as Make Music For Me failed to hit the board (at odds of 2/5).

Your winner? Brady Blue Eyes @ $24.60