Zensational retired

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited November 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from NTRA:

LEXINGTON, Ky. - Zayat Stables' multiple Grade 1 winner Zensational has been retired after his fifth-place finish in the Breeders' Cup Sprint and will enter stud at Hill 'n' Dale Farm in Lexington. The 3-year-old Unbridled's Song ridgling will stand for $25,000 stands and nurses.

The farm said that breeders paying the stud fee on or before Nov. 15, 2010, will receive a 10-percent discount.

Zensational won three Grade 1 races in a row against older rivals: the Triple Bend Handicap, Bing Crosby Stakes, and Pat O'Brien Handicap. Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert conditioned Zensational, who won 5 of his 8 starts, finished second once, and earned $669,300.

"Having already won three Grade 1 races, we feel that he will be more valuable at stud," Zayat Stables owner Ahmed Zayat said of the retirement. "We are committing a majority of our best mares to Zensational, including the dam of multiple Grade 1 winner and Kentucky Derby runner-up Pioneerof the Nile, and we look forward to his chances as a stallion."

According to the farm's announcement, Zensational's first-season book also will include two-time champion Indian Blessing and Grade 1 winner Behaving Badly.

Bred in Kentucky by Claiborne Farm, Zensational is out of the Phone Trick mare Joke, a stakes winner. Zensational is the 11-year-old mare's first winner and first stakes winner.

Zayat paid $700,000 for Zensational the 2007 Fasig-Tipton Calder select auction in Miami.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Anyone have any thoughts on this? I think it's ridiculous. I can maybe understand retiring the Derby winner after his 3yo season, because of the risk involved to continue racing him, but now a 3yo sprinter is being retired because he won a few stakes races? This is really sad...
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    It's actually pathetic.
    I find myself glad he didn't win BC Sprint and that the economy for buying horses is down so the bozos who retired this horse don't make half as much money.

As I posted on another forum about this, its getting really sad that I become thrilled when a horse decides to run @ age 4....
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    what a joke....i like the horse but Zayat is the biggest loser i ever seen...remember this is one of the guys who were going to enter horses into a race just so RA couldnt run.....let the horse run he will breed when he is ready