Gallant Gent installed as the 2/1 ml favorite in Friday night's Delta Jackpot

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Let's hope he can bounce back after a disappointing run in the BC Juvenile Turf.

Here's an article on the race from DRF:

The Grade 3, $750,000 Delta Jackpot at Delta Downs on Friday night is one of the richest and most unusual stakes anywhere for 2-year-olds. And the horse who conquers its unconventional variables, such as shipping a long distance to run under the lights on a six-furlong track, is rewarded with the kind of graded earnings that ensure a spot in the gate for the Kentucky Derby.

"The Jackpot's always an interesting race, one of ability and circumstances," said Steve Asmussen, who will start two-time stakes winner Grand Slam Andre.

Rule should go favored for his track-record performance in the local prep, the $175,000 Jean Lafitte. He will face seven others in the 1 1/16-mile Jackpot, which is one of six stakes worth $1.6 million on the richest card of the meet. The race serves as the final leg of a $100,000-guaranteed all-stakes pick four that runs from races 6 to 9.

Gallant Gent invades from Southern California and has the best chance to defeat Rule. He will be moving back to dirt, where he won a stakes on the five-furlong track at Fairplex Park. Following that race he was third to Lookin at Lucky in the Grade 1 Norfolk on Santa Anita's synthetic main track.

"He battled very courageously against a very top horse," said Craig Lewis, who trains Gallant Gent.

The gelding, who in his last start was seventh in the Grade 2 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf, will break from the rail, under Kent Desormeaux.

"He has a lot of speed if we want to use it, and he's also very rateable," said Lewis. "He's a real super horse mentally."

Rule came to town last month from Churchill Downs and won the Jean Lafitte by nine lengths. He covered the mile in 1:37.40, for a career-best Beyer Speed Figure of 97.

"Any time you have a horse run as big as he did in the previous race, you're always concerned that they avoid the bounce factor," said Todd Pletcher, who trains Rule. "But he's indicated in his training that he's every bit as good, or perhaps even improved, since the race."

John Velazquez will be aboard from post 3.

Uh Oh Bango earned the year's best Beyer Figure for a 2-year-old colt in September, when he won the $53,000 Prairie Meadows Freshman with a 102 Beyer. He then shipped to Churchill and was a close second in the Grade 3 Iroquois.

"I do think he was possibly a little short for that race," said his trainer, Kory Owens.

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    The horse on the outside, Oak Motte is an interesting horse who ran out here in IL.
    I'd need to see PP's but if I remember correctly he broke his maiden at first or second asking in a good MSW at arlington on million day. Not sure where he's been since but I'll look into it once I see the PP's.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Here are the PP's for the Delta Jackpot:

http://community.drf.com/files/hg162.pdf
    edited December 2009
    Taking my first law school final in about 2hrs.
    I'm going to need the night off after this for a few races and drinks.

I'll be playing, likely live on the board, if anyone else is interested.
    As for the Jackpot it is an awful tough race to cap (as if the race itself isnt a crapshoot on their bull ring).

Early on I liked Rule quite a bit as he seems to improved stretching out, likes the track, and his fractions weren't anything to be ashamed of in his last before drawing away from half of these.
    The question is, will he get pressured much more on the front? My first instinct says yes.

I'll be back later and go over some of my selections for Jackpot night stakes races.
    Still undecided for the Jackpot but I remember seeing the #7 horse last out at Hawthorne look damn good, but is this too big of a step up?

Needless to say at first glance I'm awful troubled for a firm selection.
    Wish me luck on this final guys! :idoit:
    edited December 2009
    Oh, in case I'm not back in time.

Race 4
    #7 Double Expresso
    3 of 7 lifetime (all 3 on dirt). Won at both CD (one of the few who was competitive in Alw nx1 at a big name track) as well as at Delta (we know he can handle the turns/track). Should have the perfect running style for this first stake with an honest amount of speed drawn inside and out.

Betting to Win.
    If he goes off at 4-1 or higher I'll have small place wager to back it up.
    Even at 9-2 in the morning line, however, I'll be happy to see this one off at 3-1.
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    Good luck on the exam. That Veracruz guy on HRTV selected Oak Motte on his show last nite.
    edited December 2009
    I think Rule's big win over the layout gives him an advantage here. I also think it'll important to be forwardly-placed with the tight turns here. That might put Gallant Gent at a bit of a disadvantage, as he'll likely drop back a little and try to circle the leaders here. Good point about Rule potentially getting pressed on the lead, but it looks like he was last time also, and the horse most likely to do the pressing here is drawn to Rule's inside, so that'll make things easier on him. He's also shown that he's capable of stalking if need be.
    edited December 2009
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Oh, in case I'm not back in time.

Race 4
    #7 Double Expresso
    3 of 7 lifetime (all 3 on dirt). Won at both CD (one of the few who was competitive in Alw nx1 at a big name track) as well as at Delta (we know he can handle the turns/track). Should have the perfect running style for this first stake with an honest amount of speed drawn inside and out.

Betting to Win.
    If he goes off at 4-1 or higher I'll have small place wager to back it up.
    Even at 9-2 in the morning line, however, I'll be happy to see this one off at 3-1.

2nd @ 3-1. Story of my life :laugh:

Move might have been a bit premature. Track is a sloppy mess.
    Its nicer here in Chicago than it is down there.

Race 5 I'm in between 5 and 7.
    Any thoughts?
    edited December 2009
    After watching race replays and going over the PP's I'm having trouble steering away from Rule.
    Going to play Rule to win and play him in exactas with my hometown horses #7/#8
    edited December 2009
    Rule wins @ even money.