Anyone else disappointed in the current Hollywood meet?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
For instance, Sunday's card included four seperate 5-horse fields. Saturday's card included three 5-horse fields, and three 6-horse fields. And these are WEEKEND cards. In handicapping the races, i'm seeing second and third choices on the betting line being listed as low as 2/1 and 5/2. The whole thing is just ridiculous right now. Thank goodness Santa Anita opens in a couple of weeks.

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    For instance, Sunday's card included four seperate 5-horse fields. Saturday's card included three 5-horse fields, and three 6-horse fields. And these are WEEKEND cards. In handicapping the races, i'm seeing second and third choices on the betting line being listed as low as 2/1 and 5/2. The whole thing is just ridiculous right now. Thank goodness Santa Anita opens in a couple of weeks.

Between law finals and the obvious weaknesses of the Hollywood's recent cards I haven't even bothered playing. Thank God the CashCall Futurity is this weekend, at least there's a race I can look forward to.

I'm hoping Conveyance gets the nod to go as I feel he has a legitimate shot to hit the board. I've actually been opting to play Aqueduct over Hollywood for what few races I've been playing the last couple weeks.

Any future thoughts for the CCF this weekend DC? I know Lookin at Lucky is going to be awfully tough and he finally really impressed me with his effort in the BC Juvy.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2009
    The Hollywood Futurity has always been one of my favorite races (i've had a few nice scores there over the years, most notably Matty G), but this year it's looking pretty chalky i think. I liked Lookin at Lucky enough to give him out in the BC Juvenile despite the extreme wide post and the shortish price, and he certainly did nothing to change my opinion of him. The Futurity wil come up softer and of course he should have a better trip as well. Oftentimes BC runners are bet-againsts when running back so soon, but they've generally done pretty well in this race and i wouldn't be expecting anything other than a representative performance here considering the horse and the connections. It also says a lot that Baffert has stuck to his plan of running Lookin at Lucky despite the fact that he could potentially win it with any of a few other contenders (Conveyance being one of them).
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Incidentally, Hollywood is closed on Wednesday (Dec 16). Not sure why; might have something to do with this being closing weekend.