Rachel Alexandra voted HOTY

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Just shown live on TVG and simulcast on ESPNews.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Disappointing announcement to me, as i was rooting strongly for Zenyatta to win it. I think she deserved it for showing up in the championship race and then winning it. Hard to argue with Rachel being a deserving recipient though, she had a great year. Congrats to her and all her fans.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    dang it , she got jerked for HOY 2 years in a row.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    cinfront wrote: »
    dang it , she got jerked for HOY 2 years in a row.

While this year I'm sure many will agree with you, last year I feel she wouldn't have been deserving. She did not branch out like she did this year with the BC. I feel bad for her and her connections, I couldn't help but notice Mr. Moss boiling over with anger but trying his best not to show it and take it with grace.

The shocking thing to me was the vote tally, 31 points? My guess would have been in the single digits.

Unlike most of this forum I did feel Rachel deserved it. Zenyatta's BC race trounces any of RA's great races of the year, but I think people felt like Rachel's continual accomplishments (Oaks by 20 lengths, Preakness win, Haskell, then beating older males).

I hope this puts more steam under Moss to make sure they meet this year now. Even though Rachel was HOTY, I will find it hard for her to go off favored had they met today and the pace scenario wasn't completely RA biased.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I don't think i've bet Zenyatta since she beat Ginger Punch in that Oaklawn race (on dirt, of course). Had my chance in the Breeders Cup, but i thought the price was too short once again. I did have the Zenyatta/Gio Ponti exacta, and a matchup on Zenyatta over Summer Bird. Looking forward to betting her against Rachel, as long as it isn't a match race (which i don't think Shirreffs/Moss would agree to anyway). Gary West wrote something about the two of them potentially hooking up in the Apple Blossom (1 1/8 mile Grade 1 @ Oaklawn in April), which would suit me just fine.

Regarding Rachel being voted HOTY, and the large spread in the voting, keep in mind that the bulk of HOTY voters are on the East Coast. That had a lot to do with it, i think.