Big Downer from Pletcher and Dutrow on the Holy Bull

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited January 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Todd Pletcher, the trainer of the Grade 1-stakes placed Aikenite, tells DRF:

"I don't want Aikenite to be revved up coming off the bench. I don't want this to be the best race of the year for him. We've put him in a position to run well, and in a position to move forward off the race."

In other words, what's a $150,000 purse among friends?

Tony Dutrow, the trainer of Winslow Homer, goes even further.

"A one-turn mile is not what my horse wants," he tells DRF, "and I'm not excited about the Holy Bull even a little bit. The Fountain of Youth (Feb. 20) is the race I'm looking forward to."

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Not reallly what i like to hear about Winslow Homer, but he looked okay to me in that one-turn 7 furlong race @ Saratoga last year. He's also sitting on zero graded earning right now, so you'd think that Dutrow would at least be interested in that.

Aikenite on the other hand already has some graded aernings, so he needs the race less from a fiscal standpoint. But as i mentioned in the Kentucky Derby thread yesterday, he's also coming out of a heads-up drill with Colizeo, who ran off to win by open lengths yesterday.

Personally i think these guys are blowing smoke. Maybe the horses aren't totally cranked, but i'm sure they're ready to run.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    I agree, but won't be making the big wager like I was before I read this articel. I will only have a nickle to win and place instead of 2k w/p. I had a big day planned for this. Have a suite at the FG and a bunch of us are staying the night in NO and heading to the NFC Championship game tomorrow.

fb
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I agree, but won't be making the big wager like I was before I read this articel. I will only have a nickle to win and place instead of 2k w/p. I had a big day planned for this. Have a suite at the FG and a bunch of us are staying the night in NO and heading to the NFC Championship game tomorrow.

fb

Enjoy yourself and good luck to the Saints tomorrow.