Saturday play from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Gulfstream - Race 2

#2 Afleet Express (3/1 ml)

Jimmy Jerkens colt by Afleet Alex was completely shut off at the start and checked hard in his debut, dropping way back towards the rear early. Remained out of the camera view all the way down the backside, but came circling wide into the lane and ran right past the entire field down the stretch run, even being taken in hand late. Looks to have been training quite well since arriving in Florida, in fcat he comes into the race today off a bullet move @ Palm Meadows that was nearly a full second faster than the next-fastest drill at the distance. Jerkens is also very solid with second-time starters, hitting @ 20% (for a flat-bet profit) with a pretty good sample size. Clearly has more speed than shown, what with the gate incident last time, but gets plenty of speed to run at here regardless. Would expect a good stalking trip here; should run very well. Potential Derby prospect.

HRT record:

66 for 236 (28%)

$564.60 mutuels ($8.55 avg)

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Broke slowly again and ran second.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Broke slowly again and ran second.

Im glad he was hammered down to 6-5. I ended up passing the race.
    I told myself if I got 2-1 I'd be laying down a large wager.
    edited January 2010
    Same here. I gave up hope when he ws sitting @ 1/5 with about 15 minutes to post. I was willing to take as low as 3/2 on him, but he never got there.
    edited February 2010
    Afleet Express is back today, entered in Race 8 @ Gulfstream (3/1 ml).
    edited February 2010
    Looks like he's getting pounded again though. He just opened up @ 1/2. One of the horses I was hoping would draw some money (Mine N Gems) has been scratched, so that isn't helping.
    edited February 2010
    Broke fine this time but found himself racing in traffic all the way up the backstretch, then was caught behind a big wall of horses into the lane. The rider made a sharp right-hand turn to get him into the clear about 7 or 8-wide, but just didn't have it today, and flattened out pretty badly. Not really sure what to make of this race, but it's obvious he regressed today. Think the Derby is pretty much out of the question now.