Oaklawn will make major announcement on Thursday

kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
edited February 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Apple blossom is grade 1 $500,000 race and top oaklawn officials flew out to cali a few weeks ago to talk with big shots. Cella will put 500 5 more into purse and hrtv or tvg is willing to throw in another half mil. Number may be off a bit on cella and networks contribution. A high high high official at oaklawn thinks this will happen. I talked top asmussens assistants bro and asmussen said people don't understand how rachel really is. Said he could have her in 20 days tops. She recorded a workout yesterday and if she runs in a race in early march it is a prep for apple blossom. If she wins like she normally has look for showdown with Big Z. I will get 20 seats on wednesday just in case so if u would like one let me know

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    If only I weren't a poor law student I'd be jumping a flight out there :yelling:
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    if this is in fact all accurate and stuff, it still has to be taken up by rachel's party.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Great work, King! I has assumed the Apple Blossom was the logical spot for Zenyatta and Rachel to hook up, but due to Jackson's comments that Rachel "wouldn't be ready in time", i didn't think that would happen.

Btw, i didn't understand how the owner could make a "there's not enough time to prepare" argument more than 2 months before the race.
    edited February 2010
    a little heads up. i have heard 2 different amounts for purse. i heard 3 mil and i heard they are going to try and match breeders cup of 5 mil
    edited February 2010
    just got word that they sent out official invitations to a select few for thursday morning at 11.
    edited February 2010
    Between 2.5 and 4 mil is what it will be. Cella puts 2 mil in. Zen will run regardless. Nbc will likely televise
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Was told this afternoon still a long way off. Let's hope your right King.

fb
    edited February 2010
    yea it is all "If rachel shows up"
    edited February 2010
    Welcome to Facebook | Facebook
    This is a little snipit from that Arkansas Democrat Gazette sports page. says that at 10 a.m. thursday at the post parade restaurant they will make the announcement
    edited February 2010
    from Bloodhorse:

Fueling speculation that it is setting the stage for a first-ever matchup between Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra and champion older mare Zenyatta, Oaklawn Park has scheduled a Feb. 4 announcement of “A Race for the Ages."

The Hot Springs, Ark., track sent notices Feb. 2 for an invitation-only breakfast to be held at 10 a.m. (CST) at the track. Promotions for the event said it would include the announcement “regarding one of the greatest stakes in our 106-year history,” according to the Hot Springs Sentinel-Record.

While no other details of the announcement were made, it fueled speculation that the track would boost the $500,000 purse of the April 3 Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I) as a lure to the connections of Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta, the only two candidates for Horse of the Year honors in 2009.

Rachel Alexandra is owned by Jess Jackson and Harold McCormick and Zenyatta is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Moss.
    edited February 2010
    Heckuva scoop, King............nice work.
    edited February 2010
    i got 20 seats on the finish line today!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Let's all hope Jess Jackson doens't back out of this offer and Rachel and Lady Zen both make it to the starting gate sound. King if I can pull it off I might be heading north for this event. Going to the Super Bowl, Costa Rica in March, and the Derby in May. I hope I can pull this one off also. Might have to take the family on this trip.

fb
    edited February 2010
    well if you need me to run up and grab some tickets let me know. that goes for all here.
    edited February 2010
    Holy smokes. I just got a call. Deal was signed this morning from both parties. Vodka might enter too. Announcing it tomorrow morning!!! Holy freakin smokes
    edited February 2010
    I'm wondering if Moss/Shirreffs would run Life is Sweet in addition to Zenyatta. For that kind of money, i'm sure they'll be tempted.
    edited February 2010
    Holy smokes. I just got a call. Deal was signed this morning from both parties. Vodka might enter too. Announcing it tomorrow morning!!! Holy freakin smokes

For those unfamiliar with Vodka, she was named Horse of the Year in Japan each of the last two years.
    edited February 2010
    my last article before the announcement. both owners were asked the question on wednesday (yesterday)...

looking good!
    Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra Could Meet at Oaklawn - NYTimes.com
    edited February 2010
    5 million 50 percent to winner!!!!! everyone that enters gets a check. only 10 starters.
    edited February 2010
    tenth place get 100 grand
    edited February 2010
    Wow. That's one of the biggest purses i've ever heard of. The winner's share rivals that of the Breeders Cup Classic.
    edited February 2010
    essentially it is a breeders cup. 5 million dollar purse. does 10th place in breeders cup get 100 k though?
    edited February 2010
    Pretty sure they only pay the top 5 horses in the Breeders Cup.
    edited February 2010
    Arkansas Track Aiming for Rachel-Zenyatta Showdown - ABC News
    increased from mile and sixteenth and mile and an eigth
    edited February 2010
    King, any idea why they wouldn't have announced commitments from both sides? Do you still think that they have commitments?
    edited February 2010
    jess jackson said in an article i just read that they will be here if she is fit. "she loves the track and we will be there if deemed fit, we would love to be there"
    zenyatta is planning on coming no matter what