Today's Stakes Plays

FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
edited February 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
OP R10
#9 Conveyance
Hoping the redraw to the outside will give us a bit better of a price. Hoping this is the one for Baffert. Undefeated in Cali, excellent gate speed, proven at a mile.

GG R7
#8 Connemarra
This one should have won last out but looked green coming for home. Horse has tons of talent but seems to still be in the process of maturing and if he gained some experience he should be ultra competitive after the last race and a playable price.

GP R8
#5 Wildcat Frankie
I went against this one in the Spectacular Bid thinking those blowaway wins are too common at Calder. Proved me wrong when he ran a very game second. He came back in an allowance field and won fairly easily on the front end at a mile. This 7f distance should be right up his alley.

GP R10
#2 Buddy's Saint
I firmly believe that if this one filled out and matured even a little bit since his 2yr old season, he will be the one to beat come May. Excellent tactical speed, long stride, focused horse. He should be at a playable price today as Jackson Bend, Aikenite, Eskenderaya, and Pulsion are bound to take some solid cash.

FG R10
#6 Drosselmeyer
After his strong allowance win in January this colt has been the talk of the town. Today is his test. With the injury of Winslow Homer, this is my favorite derby contender and I hope to see him work his way through the trail. Distance should never be a problem for this one and if he manages to win today, the stretchouts should only help.

FG R9 or R11
#2 or #5 Giant Oak
This one is cross entered in a turf and dirt stake, Im hoping for dirt, but is a play on either surface. My father's good friend is very close with Virginia Tarra Trust and according to his buddy they cross entered to get a feel for competition and track conditions. I'd like to see him on dirt as his last two have REALLY impressed me. They finally returned him to the one late run style and its been working. Last timne they launched him a tad early and he got caught extremely wide against a tough Clark field (einstein, misremembered, blame,etc). Fresian Fire will NOT be allowed to run free on the front again like last time which should give Oak the pace he needs to run at and with the small field size he shouldn't have traffic/ground loss issues.

All horses are played to win. If any go off at higher odds than 5/1 they will be backed up with a place bet. Largest win wager will be on Giant Oak and he will also be backed up with an automatic safety place bet just in a front runner shakes free and his early pace deficiency doesnt give him the opportunity to catch him.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    giant oak is in the 11th....they chose the dirt..
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2010
    I've got to tell yopu, i think Connemara is way overrated. He looked great in that Turfway race, but he hasn't looked like much since then. Especially in his prior Golden Gate race. He had no excuse there.

I'm going against you in the Southwest. Passing the FOY and the Risen Star, so good luck there.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    i think stay put is going to run a huge race in the risen star...