utterly confused

PokerDud-EPokerDud-E Junior Member
edited March 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Okay..... I've gotten some starters from some people here, and now I need to know if I'm on the right track. I know to little about the sport to do much handicapping on my own. I'm using e-ponies as my reference, and place my wagers strictly by the numbers; I'm still trying to be selective of what the #'s are telling me, and not going too crazy on my wagers....I think. A couple of people mentioned that I start with one track or one class, which I have not been able to stick to. It's difficult to learn everything if you're not actually wagering on it; otherwise it's just boring. I haven't been able to post my picks here because it's difficult enough to get my picks in to the book before post time.....I'm on the west coast; don't know where everyone else is. Rambling on.....While I am using eponies fundamentally I am creating a rudimentary database and score of the Jockeys and Horses for Aqueduct. I am going to do my best to start posting my picks so that I can get some feedback. I really appreciated the time that everyone spent responding to my original post. I'm working on tomorrows picks and will do my best to post all of them.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I've never really been a believer in using computer programs to select horses, despite being introduced to it almost immediately by the older guys that I used to hang with at the track. I just thing there are too many intangible aspects in play. If I were to lean towards any kind of program though, it would be heavily weighted towards pace. Good luck with your picks; look forward to seeing them!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    my advice for you is to watch the races and watch your selections and see what works for you..you will learn everything about the form over time..I can guarantee you that 90% of us have different ways we handicap. So you just have to find something that works for you..
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Don't play numbers. Learn to use a program and replays. They'll soon be your backbone.
    Being from California, maybe try and stick to Cali circuit.

Play along if your around.
    Race 3 Santa Anita
    2/3/6 Exacta Box.
    edited March 2010
    Mess of a race. Bandeira Union decided to overexert on the pace, Tiger Blitz checked up badly at the rail, and Major General went wide and flattened out. No Hit.

Taking Win/Place on longshot next race.
    #6 Gilligan
    Second start on turf. Last was not a bad effort and should improve here. Been facing ridiculous company including Sidney's Candy, Thomas Baines, Indian Firewater, Bulldogger, etc. Returns to a distant that may better suit him. Look for a solid effort.
    Betting Win/Place.
    edited March 2010
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Taking Win/Place on longshot next race.
    #6 Gilligan
    Second start on turf. Last was not a bad effort and should improve here. Been facing ridiculous company including Sidney's Candy, Thomas Baines, Indian Firewater, Bulldogger, etc. Returns to a distant that may better suit him. Look for a solid effort.
    Betting Win/Place.

3rd @ 23-1 :sad: