Lookin at Lucky set to run in the SA Derby

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Santa Anita:

Following Lookin At Lucky's six-furlong workout at Santa Anita March 28, trainer Bob Baffert said his colt is "90% sure" for the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) on April 3.

Baffert has been weighing both the local race and the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. I) on April 10 for the next start for Lookin at Lucky. The champion juvenile of 2009 and current Kentucky Derby Future Wager individual favorite worked three-quarters of a mile in 1:12 flat over the Pro-Ride main track with jockey Martin Garcia aboard.

“I was waiting to see how he came out of the work, but right now, I’d say he’s 90% sure to run here,” Baffert said before departing for Sunland Park, where he saddles another of his Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) hopefuls, undefeated Conveyance, for the $800,000 Sunland Derby (gr. III) later in the day.

Lookin At Lucky’s drill at 8:10 a.m. on a warm, sunny morning at Santa Anita was the second-fastest of 13 at the distance. He worked in company with the filly Kimmyv, who was ridden by former jockey Joey Steiner and was clocked in 1:13.40.

“He looked good. I liked what I saw,” Baffert said shortly afterward.

“We went to the 6 1/2 (furlong marker), and I was six, seven, eight (lengths) in front, kind of setting a decent pace,” recounted Steiner. “We just let Lookin At Lucky sit back and gallop along. He just picked her up on his own, and (Garcia) asked him to go just a little bit and he went by. It looked like he did it real easy. Martin’s worked him the last three times, and he said he’s doing super.”

Lookin At Lucky made his 3-year-old debut with a game head victory in the Rebel Stakes (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park March 13, his first try on natural dirt. Should the son of Smart Strike --Private Feeling, by Belong to Me , win the Santa Anita Derby, he would be the first juvenile champion to win the track’s marquee race for 3-year-olds since Affirmed in 1978.

A winner of six of seven starts in his career, Lookin at Lucky leads the field of prospective Kentucky Derby starters in graded earnings with $1,390,000.

Elsewhere in Santa Anita Derby news, Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) winner Caracortado worked six furlongs in company under regular rider Paul Atkinson in 1:13.40. “He went five eighths in :59 4/5 and galloped out in 1:13,” trainer Mike Machowsky said. “Everything’s perfect. He broke off behind a maiden filly of mine that hasn’t run yet. I just wanted to give him a target.”

John Sadler moved up by one day the scheduled five-furlong work by San Vicente (gr. II) and San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) winner Sidney's Candy, who instead went seven furlongs in 1:26.20 under Rafael Bejarano. “He went well,” Sadler said. “I moved it up one day. I wanted six days into the Derby. Everything’s perfect so far.”

Skipshot worked five furlongs on the main track in a bullet :58.40 under exercise rider Marco Ramirez. “I got him in :58 4/5 and he galloped out real nice,” trainer Jerry Hollendorfer said. “At least we think he likes the race track after being here for about a week.”

The M Racing duo of Who's Up and Cardiff Giant worked five furlongs in :58.80 and six furlongs in 1:15, respectively, for trainer Mike Puhich. “We’ll see how they are in the morning and go from there,” Puhich said.

Posse Power worked a mile under John Ferzacka on the main track in 1:40.20 for trainer Frank Lucarelli. “He went really good and galloped out strong,” Lucarelli said of the bay colt who was third in the El Camino Real Derby (gr. III).

Craig Dollase said he plans to run Boulder Creek, who was a troubled fifth in the Sham Stakes (gr. III) on March 13. Tyler Baze rides. “The horse is coming into the race the right way,” Dollase said. “I’m real happy with his seven-eighths work the other day (1:26.40 on March 26). He’s sitting on a good race, and you can’t win if you’re not in.”

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    I think this guy will romp saturday....he just impresses me evertime he runs..
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2010
    One thing's for sure, the price on Sidney's Candy and the rest of the field just went way up.
    edited March 2010
    i dont know why but this guy is just one horse i just cant bet against...he always runs his race....its just he doesnt blow fields out like others....
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Unfortunately for me I've bet against him...every start :cursing:

He is going to come in to some steep competition Saturday though...
    Sidney's Candy, Alphie's Bet, Setsuko, Caracortado, to name a few.
    Im really looking forward to this weekend, not only for this race but I'm excited to see Schoolyard Dreams in the IL Derby (I'll be there live for this one) and Awesome Act in Wood.
    edited March 2010
    Should be a fun weekend of racing. I'm most looking forward to the Wood, myself.
    edited March 2010
    agree..the wood should be fun and im glad the inner track is finally done and to finish it off with the sa derby....cant wait for keeneland to get started either...
    edited March 2010
    hey cat did you ever get into the 50k jackpot contest at tvg.com
    edited March 2010
    No, I hadn't looked into it yet. I'll check it out tonight, thanks for reminding me.