flyin late schoolyard dream going to wood

rayphilrayphil Senior Member
edited March 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Schoolyard Dreams set for Wood
By David Grening
OZONE PARK, N.Y. - The field for Saturday's $750,000 Wood Memorial at Aqueduct underwent a slight revision Monday, with Tampa Bay Derby runner-up Schoolyard Dreams entering the race and Tampa Bay Derby third-place finisher Super Saver exiting the field.

Super Saver, a stablemate of probable Wood favorite Eskendereya, is likely going to make his next start in the $1 million Arkansas Derby on April 10, trainer Todd Pletcher said Monday. Pletcher felt the extra week from the Tampa Bay Derby would help Super Saver, but the trainer also liked the idea of not running two of his best horses against each other.

"I'll always do what's in each individual horse's best interest and each individual owner's best interest, but when it's up to me, I'm not going to run them against each other, especially when there's a million-dollar opportunity somewhere else," Pletcher said.

Led by Fountain of Youth winner Eskendereya and Gotham winner Awesome Act, a field of seven is likely for the Wood when entries are drawn and post positions assigned Wednesday. In addition to Schoolyard Dreams, others likely to enter include Jackson Bend, Turf Melody, Carnivore, and the maiden filly Nicky Boy.

Schoolyard Dreams, who was beaten a nose by Odysseus in the Tampa Bay Derby, was originally scheduled to run in Saturday's Illinois Derby at Hawthorne. One of the major reasons for the change, according to trainer Derek Ryan, was the availability of Ramon Dominguez to ride the horse. Dominguez was expected to ride Super Saver in the Wood and had commitments for the other three Saturday stakes at Aqueduct, including the Ryan-trained Musket Man in the Grade 1 Carter.

"We've been trying to get him on the horse since December," said Ryan, who has used different jockeys in all five of Schoolyard Dreams's starts, including Jeremy Rose last out. "It's not a knock on Jeremy; Dominguez has been the leading rider in the country for the last five years, and we had a chance to get him."

Dominguez is known as a patient rider, and Ryan believes patience is what Schoolyard Dreams needs to excel.

"You can't hit the front too soon," Ryan said. "When you hit the front, he figures the job is done."

In the Tampa Bay Derby, Ryan said Schoolyard Dreams "hit the front nearly around the far turn and when he hit the eighth pole he was like 'What the hell am I doing here?' You got to judge your move at the right time."

Ryan said Schoolyard Dreams and Musket Man left Tampa Bay Downs on Monday and were expected to arrive at Philadelphia Park by early morning Tuesday.

Another potential addition to the Wood field is Nicky Boy, a 3-year-old filly who has been beaten 120 3/4 lengths in her only two starts. Owner Chadda Solange said the filly is expected to ship here Wednesday from Sunland Park in New Mexico, where she was scratched out of a maiden race Sunday

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    rayphil wrote: »
    Schoolyard Dreams set for Wood
    By David Grening
    OZONE PARK, N.Y. - The field for Saturday's $750,000 Wood Memorial at Aqueduct underwent a slight revision Monday, with Tampa Bay Derby runner-up Schoolyard Dreams entering the race and Tampa Bay Derby third-place finisher Super Saver exiting the field.

Super Saver, a stablemate of probable Wood favorite Eskendereya, is likely going to make his next start in the $1 million Arkansas Derby on April 10, trainer Todd Pletcher said Monday. Pletcher felt the extra week from the Tampa Bay Derby would help Super Saver, but the trainer also liked the idea of not running two of his best horses against each other.

"I'll always do what's in each individual horse's best interest and each individual owner's best interest, but when it's up to me, I'm not going to run them against each other, especially when there's a million-dollar opportunity somewhere else," Pletcher said.

Led by Fountain of Youth winner Eskendereya and Gotham winner Awesome Act, a field of seven is likely for the Wood when entries are drawn and post positions assigned Wednesday. In addition to Schoolyard Dreams, others likely to enter include Jackson Bend, Turf Melody, Carnivore, and the maiden filly Nicky Boy.

Schoolyard Dreams, who was beaten a nose by Odysseus in the Tampa Bay Derby, was originally scheduled to run in Saturday's Illinois Derby at Hawthorne. One of the major reasons for the change, according to trainer Derek Ryan, was the availability of Ramon Dominguez to ride the horse. Dominguez was expected to ride Super Saver in the Wood and had commitments for the other three Saturday stakes at Aqueduct, including the Ryan-trained Musket Man in the Grade 1 Carter.

"We've been trying to get him on the horse since December," said Ryan, who has used different jockeys in all five of Schoolyard Dreams's starts, including Jeremy Rose last out. "It's not a knock on Jeremy; Dominguez has been the leading rider in the country for the last five years, and we had a chance to get him."

Dominguez is known as a patient rider, and Ryan believes patience is what Schoolyard Dreams needs to excel.

"You can't hit the front too soon," Ryan said. "When you hit the front, he figures the job is done."

In the Tampa Bay Derby, Ryan said Schoolyard Dreams "hit the front nearly around the far turn and when he hit the eighth pole he was like 'What the hell am I doing here?' You got to judge your move at the right time."

Ryan said Schoolyard Dreams and Musket Man left Tampa Bay Downs on Monday and were expected to arrive at Philadelphia Park by early morning Tuesday.

Another potential addition to the Wood field is Nicky Boy, a 3-year-old filly who has been beaten 120 3/4 lengths in her only two starts. Owner Chadda Solange said the filly is expected to ship here Wednesday from Sunland Park in New Mexico, where she was scratched out of a maiden race Sunday

Wow thanks for update Rayphil.
    This is bad for me in two ways now.
    1 - I don't know who I'll be opting to be on in the Wood (SD or AA)
    2 - There goes my solid play in the IL derby and the field is likely to be pretty sad. I know American Lion is also supposed to be coming but most of the remainder of the feel has alot to prove.

On another note, Turf Melody was originally aimed at IL Derby, I saw a 90% share in him was purchased and I wonder if that is the reason for his likely switch to Wood as well.

It'll be interesting to see the entries come tomorrow.
    edited March 2010
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56195/backtalk-tops-illinois-derby-cast

Entries are up. Yawanna Twist is my likely choice before seeing it on paper, so we'll see.
    Surprisingly there are several west coast shippers.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    its funny how they have backtalk headlining after his lack luster race at delta..I want to see dave in dixie come come back and run a big one..i saw the article last night and thought i should let you know.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Dave in Dixie and Stephen's Got Hope? Really? I guess they've decided to duck the big guys and head out of town. Interesting race here, for sure.
    edited March 2010
    well i think sadler wants 2 derby horses...so shipping dave in dixiemight of been the only way...
    edited March 2010
    Should be an interesting race here. Kind of a last ditch effort for most of the contenders, which is why I'll likely be opting for Yawanna Twist who still has room to improve coming into only his fourth start.
  • Zenyatta31Zenyatta31 Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    Don't overlook American Lion taking the blinkers off and going first time dirt. Whenever Mr Harty was asked about the Derby - he kept saying American Lion was gonna get him there. I haven't been betting him in his preps knowing they were true old fashion preps. The screws will be tight for the race.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Yawanna Twist was coming on nicely in the late stages oif the Gotham, but he never really threatened Awesome Act at any point. I'll need tgo go back and look at that one again before this weekend, because the previous times i saw it i was focusing on Awesome Act.
    edited March 2010
    Well i dont know about the gotham yet cat because nacho friend came back in the sunland derby and ran up the track...close early and faded to fifth.