odds chance

yahooninoyahoonino Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
have you notice track like laurel,,,beula,,,,and some other track change the odds after the gate is open,,,and the are off,,i guaranty that not public money a 5-2 became 6/5 ,,,9/5 became3/5 ,,i decide not to bet at those track,,,,

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2010
    We've all seen it, and unfortunately it doesn't look like anything can be done about it. I remember once many years ago, they started locking races out @ 2 mtp, but it didn't last long (just about a week, if i remember correctly). Worst personal experience i had with it was a large bet on Boozin Susan @ 7/2, placed right before the race started. She won easy, and i thought i had myself a $9.00 winner. Then they showed her @ 8/5. After the race was over. Pretty freaking bad.

All this being said however, it seems like it hasn't been happening very often the last couple of years. What do the rest of you guys think?
  • rhgrahamrhgraham Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    What I have been told is that a track where simulcast wagering is nation/continent wide, it takes time for final odds to be shown. I have been 100% guaranteed that all wagering is done prior to gates being sprung.

This information was given to me by Woodbine mutuals manager.
  • wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    IT IS A COMMON PRACTICE AT HARNESS TRACKS...NYRA tracks usually show the late money just before post time...I was told OTB money use to be posted as soon as the windows at the track opened...this caused alot of false favorites and the OTB money is now put in right at post time...I could be wrong...jmo...w2w
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    With money coming from all over the place (on track, otb's, adw's) it seems to constantly happen. Similar to DC's story, I had a similar experience at Monmouth last meet where I my horse was 3-1 as they began loading horses. Was 2-1 at the first call and was 7/5 at the end of the race. :thumbdown:

This is an issue that continues growing but due to the size of the industry it is a difficult change to make (how many people will this piss off?). I've simply learned to cope with it as its part of the game.

I think the reason its so noticeable on those tracks is due to the smaller pool sizes. A $500 win wager at one of those tracks can create heavy fluctuation in odds compared to larger tracks like Santa Anita.
    edited May 2010
    I mentioned Boozin Susan in this thread about a month ago, and strangely enough, there was kind ofa similar situation today. There was a 2yo firster in Rcae 3 today named Trick Skate that was shipping in from Turf Paradise for trainer Molly Pearson. That's the same trainer who shipped Boozin Susan into SoCal some years back (like 8?), and that was probably the last time i've seen Pearson ship a 2yo firster in from Turf Paradise before today. She just never does it. So anyway, sure enough this horse was live today, going off @ 9/1 odds and then going straight to the front and leading until t he last 50 yards or so when she finally got passed. Not sure whebn this will happen again, but keep your eyes on this trainer in any kind of similar circumstance.
    edited May 2010
    Ugh I just got creamed on one of these drops.
    Just played the #2 horse in the 8th at Fairmount.
    With 0 MTP and the horses beginning to load he was sitting at 7/2.
    I placed my wager, watched the race, only to see him win @ 2-1 :angry:
    edited May 2010
    Is it conceivable that you were the one who caused the drop? How much money is in the Fairmount pools?

Congrats on the winner, btw.
    edited May 2010
    Is it conceivable that you were the one who caused the drop? How much money is in the Fairmount pools?

Congrats on the winner, btw.

I'm a student. I consider a $20 win wager large to be large (what i placed here) :yes:
    The win pool was 16k, so it is a very small pool, but again my bets are relatively small so I doubt it affected the pool to even a minor degree.

Still cost me $30 :cursing:
    edited May 2010
    I mentioned Boozin Susan in this thread about a month ago, and strangely enough, there was kind of a similar situation today. There was a 2yo firster in Race 3 today named Trick Skate that was shipping in from Turf Paradise for trainer Molly Pearson. That's the same trainer who shipped Boozin Susan into SoCal some years back (like 8?), and that was probably the last time i've seen Pearson ship a 2yo firster in from Turf Paradise before today. She just never does it. So anyway, sure enough this horse was live today, going off @ 9/1 odds and then going straight to the front and leading until t he last 50 yards or so when she finally got passed. Not sure when this will happen again, but keep your eyes on this trainer in any kind of similar circumstance.

The Pearson filly is entered back today.
    edited May 2010
    Trick Skate went wire-to-wire today and paid $12.40
    edited June 2010
    Note the Molly Pearson entrant in Race 11 today. 30/1 on the morning line.