Preakness Thread

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited May 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Well lets get back on it as we only have 12 days and these colts will be back in the gate at Old Hilltop. I also spoke with someone I know that has a nice percentage in King Congie and they will be in the starting gate, not sure how well he will do on the Pimlico track, but if runs dull in the Preakness going straight to the Virginia Derby. I can tell you all one thing Sway Away is sitting on a big effort he had a work over the CH strip that was as good or better than Animal Kinigdom. P Val will not be back in the saddle, I was told they were going to go with Martin Garcia in the Derby if Sway Away would of gotten in now. I will be on the phones this week to see what all scuttlebut is happening behind the scenes. Im telling you all now don't let Sway Away not be on your tickets come Preakness Day. Another Cali invader that is coming into a nice race is Mr. Commons. This is one nice colt and he just running behind in the seasoning department and might run a ton better out of Cali.

FB

ANIMAL KINGDOM (KY)--Won the Kentucky Derby on May 7

ASTROLOGY (KY)--Finished second in the Jerome Stakes on April 23

CONCEALED IDENTITY (MD)--Won Tesio Stakes on May 7

DANCE CITY (VA)--Finished third in the Arkansas Derby on April 16
On May 8, Dance City breezed five in 1:01 (4/7) at CD.

DIALED IN (KY)--Finished eighth in the Kentucky Derby May 7

FLASHPOINT (FL)--Finished fourth in the Florida Derby April 3
On April 21, Flashpoint breezed five in :59.60 (5/22) at KEE.
On April 28, Flashpoint breezed five in :59.00 (1/27) at KEE.
On May 6, Flashpoint worked five in :59.00 (1/48) at KEE.

KING CONGIE (KY)--Finished third in the Blue Grass on April 16
On April 28, King Congie breezed four in :51.00 (26/26) at KEE.

MR. COMMONS (KY)--Finished third in the Santa Anita Derby on April 9
On April 21, Mr. Commons worked four in :46.80 (1/21) at HOL.
On April 28, Mr. Commons worked seven in 1:25.20 (1/2) at HOL.
On May 6, Mr. Commons breezed seven in 1:26.20 (1/2) at HOL.

MUCHO MACHO MAN (FL)--Finished third in the Kentucky Derby on May 7

NEHRO (KY)--Finished second in the Kentucky Derby on May 7

NORMAN ASBJORNSON (PA)--Finished fourth in the Wood Memorial on April 9
On May 6, Norman Asbjornson worked a mile in 1:40 (1/2) at PIM.

PRIME CUT (KY)--Finished second in the Coolmore Lexington on April 23
On May 5, Prime Cut breezed four in :50.40 (63/82) at CD.

SHACKLEFORD (KY)--Finished fourth in the Kentucky Derby on May 7

SWAY AWAY (KY)--Finished fourth in the Arkansas Derby on April 16
On April 30, Sway Away breezed six in 1:14.00 (4/9) at CD.
On May 7, Sway Away breezed six in 1:11.60 (1/2) at CD.

THE FACTOR (KY)--Finished seventh in the Arkansas Derby on April 16
On May 5, The Factor breezed four in :49.00 (26/82) at CD.

Comments

• jaanisjaanis Junior Member
    edited May 2011
    Keep us updated, thanks!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2011
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62955/nine-new-shooters-could-join-fray-at-pimlico

I have some mixed feelings about Sway Away. He ran a big bounce-back race in the Ark Derby, and probably does figure to move forward off that, but there's no denying that he tired late in that race, and i'm not sure the extra distance in the Preakness will be to his liking. It'll be interesting to hear the reports on him over the next couple of weeks, and i do expect he'll run well, but i don't consider him a major win contender.

Remember, this is a horse with NO career wins around two turns. Asking him to win the Preakness is probably a bit much.
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    If The Factor runs I wouldn't be surprised if he's the Favorite.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    If that is the field, holy cow are we going to have a battle up front with The Factor, Shackleford and Flashpoint mixing it up.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Don't forget Dance City he took most of the beating in the Ark Derby and was still around at the end.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Yea, I have a hard time not seeing this pace completely collapse based on the entries.
    We'll see how it turns out, but the way it seems right now, it should set up for a horse like Animal Kingdom or Sway Away.
    edited May 2011
    We all better not forget Dialed In with this type of pace signed on for the Preakenss, he had the fastest closing time in the derby almost a 47 falt and than came in on a 1:13 6f that is a slow 6f number. Dialed In will be over 10-1 in the Preakness. If they run a 1:10/1:11 watch out.

FB
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    All due respect, fb, but if the entries stay as they are, I suspect Dialed In will be no worse than second choice in the wagering. The bettors are always willing to forgive Derby flops due to the unique nature of that race and Dialed In had an obvious excuse with the surprisingly moderate Derby pace.
    edited May 2011
    He could be second choice on the ML, but I don't see him getting played at the windows. Then again you could be correct most people might come back and play him right back.
    edited May 2011
    I was told that MMM is going to make it in the gate at this time. I cannot find it on any site that states his name in the probably entires. But this comes from someone real close to the connections.

fb
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    the factor is out of te freakness...
  • bbixlerbbixler Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    The Factor went in a minute flat and will make his next start in the Woody Stephens on the June 11 Belmont Stakes undercard, according to co-owner George Bolton, while Prime Cut went in 1:01.20 and will run Saturday in the Peter Pan at Belmont, trainer Neil Howard said.
    edited May 2011
    Prime Cut is now headed to the Peter Pan and not Old Hilltop.
    edited May 2011
    Caspers Touch who finished 3rd in the Lexington is now beinig consiered for The Preakness from the McPeek camp. Just worked 5F 59.60 over the CH Strip and it was the fastest of the day.
    edited May 2011
    Robby A will take the mount on King Congie, what a difference two weeks make. He was mounted for Animal Kingdom and gets kicked in the face on Thursday and loses his mount on the Derby winner. At least JR and Irwin were classy enough to give him half of the winnings from the Derby.

fb
    edited May 2011
    Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom visited the track at Maryland's Fair Hill Training Center for the first time today.

Trainer Graham Motion sent the son of turf champion Leroidesanimaux out to the track at 8:30 a.m. Animal Kingdom walked Sunday and Monday and spent much of Tuesday in a van. “He went out and jogged one mile with the pony with my assistant Dave Rock,” Motion said. “He’s super. Really good.”

Motion said the Team Valor homebred will go to the track at 8:30 a.m. ET tomorrow and will start visiting the track at 9:00 a.m. beginning Friday.
    edited May 2011
    He looks fantastic and is doing great,” Ward said. “He hasn’t taken a bad step. He hasn’t missed an oat. He’s done everything I’ve asked of him, if not more, in the mornings. I’m looking forward to the race and am excited about it.”

Ward said that the colt’s regular rider, Cornelio Velasquez, has the mount for the Preakness.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    FB

As you know, Chris Grove trains one of mine and I am getting good info on longshot NORMAN ABSOJORNSON.

Chris is not known for beating his own drums but he thinks this one is capable of firing a big one in the Preakness. Worked long this morning and showed speed at different times during his work. Grove says he is ready to jump up and be heard from, although he will have to really jump way up to run with these. I will keep the HRT forum advised.
    edited May 2011
    In other Preakness news, trainer John Shirreffs confirmed that Mr. Commons is an intended starter, and said that Victor Espinoza would have the mount.

Espinoza rode Midnight Interlude in the Derby, but trainer Bob Baffert said on Wednesday that Martin Garcia would replace Espinoza for the Preakness.

Mike Smith rode Mr. Commons to a third-place finish in the Santa Anita Derby, the last start for Mr. Commons, but Smith will ride Jerome runner-up Astrology in the Preakness.

Mr. Commons was scheduled to work at Hollywood Park on Friday morning before traveling to Maryland next week.

As of Thursday, a field of 13 was expected for the Preakness, which is limited to 14 runners. Entries for the Preakness will be taken, and post positions drawn, on Wednesday.
    edited May 2011
    MIDNIGHT INTERLUDE/THE FACTOR – Arnold Zetcher’s Midnight Interlude, 16th-place finisher in the Kentucky Derby, galloped a mile and a half after the renovation break at Churchill Downs under Peter Hutton, assistant to trainer Bob Baffert.

Going out before the break was The Factor, who jogged a mile on his first day back to the track after working five furlongs in 1:00 on Tuesday. “He was pulling my guts out,” Hutton said of The Factor. “He came out of that work great. He will work again Monday and Bob will be here Sunday night.”

Baffert said earlier this week that The Factor was a long shot for the Preakness.
    edited May 2011
    Sway Away is to work 6f tomorrow at CH. Look for someting in between 1:13 / 1:14, I will be suprised if anythiing faster than that coming off at 6F 1:11 last week.

fb
    edited May 2011
    been beautiful here this last week but they are calling for a wash out weekend...rain until like tuesday....once this turf gets a little water it stays so the turf will prolly be soft on preakness day..
    edited May 2011
    also fb...didnt know if you noted this but c..groves horse came down from bowie today to get a work over the track and then went back to bowie...looked pretty good in the lane..
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Norman Abj? worken an easy 5f . Grove is not known for bringing a horse up to a race with fast work, only a maintenance breeze. Word is this son of Real Quiet has had some gate issues and Chris Grove wanted to get him a light work over the track and do a little gate schooling.

I still have my doubts whether Norman can keep up with the others, but if Chris says yes later next week then I will have him in my exotics.
    edited May 2011
    he looked good john...they interviewed him at pimlico and he said he is coming and he likes that he is low key and others will get more of the media....sounded confident....
    edited May 2011
    Santiva is not heading to the Preakness.
    edited May 2011
    This one had another nice work over the Keeneland poly and is coming into this race on POINT. I wouldn't leave this one off your tickets on Preakness day. I have been hearing nothing but great things about this colt.