Kentucky Oaks/Derby 2012 Info

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2012
    I thought the Dosage angle had kinda been blown out of the water in recent years?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Jerman wrote: »
    FB: Dullahan's Dosage Index is 4.2. Any concerns about it exceeding 4.

This horse can stay and will be finishing on Derby day. Real Quiet won with a higher dosage. I pay no attention to dosage in this era.
    edited April 2012
    Stated he hated the SA surface and Garcia will be in the irons.
    edited April 2012
    Creative Cause worked 5f 1:00.20 with no blinkers and came home the final 1/4 in 24.6 and finished in 1:14.
    edited April 2012
    Zayat Stables’ Bodemeister, impressive winner of the Arkansas Derby (gr. I), breezed five-eighths of a mile in 1:00 4/5 at Churchill Downs the morning of April 24 in preparation for the May 5 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).

Working in tandem with stablemate Jemima's Pearl for trainer Bob Baffert, Bodemeister was timed in fractional splits of :12 4/5, :25, :36 4/5, and :48 4/5 for the first four furlongs. The son of Empire Maker galloped out six furlongs in 1:13 and seven furlongs in 1:27 3/5.

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69193/bodemeister-drills-5-furlongs-at-churchill#ixzz1syiCAJax
    edited April 2012
    “I liked the way he went this morning,” trainer Bob Baffert said. “He likes this track. He just skipped over it. He is very fluid when he picks it up and just floats over the ground.”
    edited April 2012
    Arnold Zetcher’s Liaison made his first appearance on the track and galloped 1 ½ miles under George Alvarez. Liaison had arrived at Churchill Downs on Monday afternoon from his Southern California base.

“I’m gonna run him (in the Derby),” Baffert said. “He was a different horse out there today. He was never comfortable at Santa Anita and just didn’t like the track.”

Baffert said that Garcia, who was aboard Liaison for his fourth-place finish in the San Felipe (GII), would have the mount in the Derby.
    edited April 2012
    Trying to get back to a little routine since I have been spending about 16 hrs a day at the hospital. I have some info to pass on to all forum members.

Union Rags wore front wraps today for his workout????? Pay attention to this next week if he comes out with them on race day. Was also told looked a little tired after the work and drank a bucket of water!!!!!
    edited April 2012
    Work was better than last and Barry Irwin and Motion says he is much better on the real dirt than most have been saying. Keep an eye on this colt.
    edited April 2012
    All positive signs for this colt, loves the track and his galloping like a beast and have been told is carrying the best flesh of all KY Derby starters at the track. This one will be on my ticket!!!!
    edited April 2012
    Have been told that I'll Have Another physical appreance looked very average back at the stall. Same clocker told me that Creative Cause was on his toes and is bigger than he thought. He is also starting to DAPPLE OUT which is a huge sign coming into a race. Really looking forward for his move over the CH strip. Rousing Sermon is on the smallish size and is carrying good flesh.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Thanks FB, I like hearing this. I was on him at El Camino and Sunland and will be on him this Saturday as well . . .
    edited April 2012
    Still rave reviews on this colt, was told he galloped over the mud with authority today!!! One thing we know he can get the distance. This horse hasnt' had a mishap this year and especailly since arriving to Churchill from Cali. All signs are lining up for this one to be a major threat.
    edited April 2012
    I was told he came out of his work strong and Romans stated this morning that he was going to let him take a lap around the track. That's what I call a POSITIVE sign!!!!! This one will be finishing next Saturday down the lane in a big way.
    edited April 2012
    Bodemeister 5f. 59.48 out 1:12.13 double out 1:25.57 splits 24.73 36.39 extremely impressive from Mike Welsh. Was told by a clocker this one tore a hole through the wind. Looking at the ml favorite.
    edited April 2012
    El Padrino worked a 1/2 mile at Palm Meadows in the slop and this isn't what you are looking for in final breeze before the derby. He was also in company with Windsurfer. El Padrino finished the work in 53.3 slow time for a horse that has a big number over the off going????
    edited April 2012
    Gemologist worked over the muddy surface at PM and was caught going 1/2 in 50.4 and was told he got the last 1/4 in 24.3 and was timer 5f in 1.03.6 with a workmate.
    edited April 2012
    They will skip the Oaks and run her in the Black Eye Susan as of this morning.
    edited April 2012
    She looks to be in as of now and Johnny V will be in the saddle can you say fast pace for the Oaks???
    edited April 2012
    Another big worked reported from this filly, she is killing the CH surface. I have seen this one run many times in person at the FG and she is as honest a filly you would like to have. Don't leave her off you tickets on Oaks day.

5/8's :57.90 out 1:12.30 for Oaks was drifting just a touch coming to the wire from Mike Welsch.
    edited April 2012
    He was smooth as you would like to see over the CH strip. He galloped an easy 1 1/4 mile and cannot wait till he works on Tueday. This is one serious race horse and will make Cali proud this year with his run next Saturday.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I sure hate to hear that In Lingerie will skip Oaks. I know Aaron Wellman with Eclipse Thoro has a big party planned Thursday night in Downtown Louisville at the Kentucky 3 roses brewery bldg. She had been training ok and the connections were high on her chances. She worked in the slop yesterday and must have come back with something wrong? BTW, can you believe the work posted yesterday by Nate's Mineshaft!!!
    I thought it was a typo when I saw it.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Work was better than last and Barry Irwin and Motion says he is much better on the real dirt than most have been saying. Keep an eye on this colt.

If you look back at the Past Performances of Went The Day Well in his first 2 races carried weight of 129 and 126 lbs at a mile or more. I think Bodemeister will be putting on 8 lbs for the derby and has never carried the weight beyond mile. Just something interesting to look at.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    As usual,, Fb on top of the news before it is made public.
    In Lingerine will not run in the Oaks. Damn, there goes my party Thursday night.

By this time tomorrow you will be reading all kinds of stuff about TAP's blunder in working all his horses over the PMM muck yesterday. El Padrino, Gemologist, & In Lingere all came back looking the worst for wear. This has to be music to Wayne's ears as it is not out of the question that one of the TAP runners may not make it into the starting gate! Ever if both make it, this is not the kind of work that will move them up next Saturday.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Bodemeister 5f. 59.48 out 1:12.13 double out 1:25.57 splits 24.73 36.39 extremely impressive from Mike Welsh. Was told by a clocker this one tore a hole through the wind. Looking at the ml favorite.

Was checking out the Welsh videos this morning, and it seems that both Bodemeister and Union Rags have looked sharp. He also mentioned that Went The Day Well worked well in blinkers, and that Motion was very happy about it. That kind of caught my attention.
    edited April 2012
    WENT THE DAY WELL – Team Valor International and Mark Ford’s Went The Day Well jogged once around the Churchill Downs track Monday morning under the supervision of David Rock, assistant to trainer Graham Motion. The Vinery Racing Spiral Stakes (GIII) winner had walked the shedrow on Sunday after working five furlongs in 1:01 under jockey John Velazquez on Saturday.

“I was very pleased with the work. I’ve watched it a couple of times since and have become even more pleased. I don’t know what more he could have done,” Motion said from his Fair Hill, Md. headquarters.

Went The Day Well wore blinkers during the workout and will be equipped with them for the first time in a race in the Kentucky Derby, which his owner, trainer and jockey won last year with Animal Kingdom.

“He wore blinkers with a very small cup, which I intend to run him in for the Derby,” said Motion, who is scheduled to return to Churchill Downs on Tuesday. “It’s been very much on my mind for a while, even in that Gulfstream race (a maiden victory on March 3), when he ran a little green, and certainly in the Spiral, when he was a little awkward when he made the lead.

“When Johnny worked him last week at Keeneland, he really didn’t want to go away from the other horse. Johnny and I talked about it and he gave me confidence to try it. I really think it’s the right move.”
    edited April 2012
    Mark Cassee is raving about this colt, he has trained so well over the CH strip from several clockers. He is great moving colt and has a gread gallop over the strip. I wouldn't leave this one off your exotics tickets at a huge price.
    edited April 2012
    Hearing negative reports on this colt and will be very suprised if Cowboy Larry enters this on for Saturday. Came home slow and was looking the worst the wear of his campaign at this time. Came home the last 1/4 in 25 and change and was dead tired heading back to the barn.
    edited April 2012
    I’LL HAVE ANOTHER – Santa Anita Derby (GI) winner I’ll Have Another put in his usual brisk gallop Monday morning as he moves one step closer to Saturday’s $2-million guaranteed Kentucky Derby (GI).

“He likes the racetrack and is really training well here,” said trainer Doug O’Neill, who is oozing confidence over his Derby prospect. So much so that his brother, Dennis, said, “It scares me a little bit.” But he acknowledged the colt seems to deserve that kind of confidence.
    O’Neill sees I’ll Have Another stalking the pace and expects the colt’s natural speed to help him find a good place in the field and stay out of trouble. Of that kind of strategy, O’Neill said, “It’s working for him so far.”
    edited April 2012
    This is not typical Asmussen, he must be feeling good about this colt!!!!!!

“Daddy Nose Best has been in a very good rhythm,” Asmussen said. “He’s put in some very good works over the racetrack and just want to keep that rhythm with him and keep him happy.”

Asmussen emphasized once again his belief that both colts are prepared to put forth races displaying the entirety of their ability, whatever that may be.

“I’m extremely happy with the condition that both of these horses are making the Derby gate in,” he said. “We’re trying to stay in a rhythm with them, monitoring where we think they are.
    Obviously very pleased with training them here at Churchill, they’re familiar with it. Love the position we’re in with both horses as far as their health and the way they’re getting over the racetrack.”