Kentucky Derby Future Wager (Pool One)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Opens this Friday and runs thru Sunday (6:00 pm Eastern Time). Here are the betting numbers and morning lines:

1. Capo Bastone, 30-1
2. Code West, 50-1
3. Delhomme, 30-1
4. Den’s Legacy, 30-1
5. Dynamic Sky, 30-1
6. Falling Sky, 30-1
7. Flashback, 15-1
8. Frac Daddy, 50-1
9. Goldencents, 20-1
10. He’s Had Enough, 50-1
11. Itsmyluckyday, 15-1
12. Mylute, 30-1
13. Normandy Invasion, 20-1
14. Overanalyze, 15-1
15. Oxbow, 20-1
16. Revolutionary, 20-1
17. Shanghai Bobby, 12-1
18. Super Ninety Nine, 20-1
19. Uncaptured, 20-1
20. Verrazano, 15-1
21. Violence, 12-1
22. Vyjack, 20-1
23. Will Take Charge, 30-1
24. Field (all others), 9-5

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    All others, Violence, and Delhomme for me.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2013
    No Palice Malice?
    edited February 2013
    I would definitely bet the Field at around 3/1. It hasn't gone off that high in a few years though...
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    I would definitely bet the Field at around 3/1. It hasn't gone off that high in a few years though...

Very much agree with the field.
  • thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    I'll take capo bastone. normandy invasion ( at a higher price that is) and revolutionary
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    thebox138 wrote: »
    I'll take capo bastone. normandy invasion ( at a higher price that is) and revolutionary

Capo, Verazzano, and Normandy Invasion are all on my radar, but I will need them to drift up quite a good deal to garner a wager. Its odd that the first pool moves to a weekend with little derby prep outcome, so we likely will know by Saturday morning where the lines will be. There won't be any massive late shift like usual depending on an all star performance.
    edited February 2013
    I think with the new points system, the FIELD has value down to even money this year. None of the real points for entry spots have even been won, so nobody can pull the 2 prep bullshit, unless they luck up big time, and the horses coming up (i.e. Palace Malice) are already outshining horses who would have already earned a spot in years past.

It's the cost of tying up that money that you have to evaluate too, IMO. But this year, with the new points system, and 2yo races counting for much less, FIELD will be the only playable bet in this (parimutual - don't act like you're playing against the house) wager.

Thoughts?
  • CigarShopCigarShop Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    I'll take as much as I can get on UNCAPTURED , hopefully he'll drift to 25 or 30/1

He should be 10/1 or lower IMO.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    CigarShop wrote: »
    I'll take as much as I can get on UNCAPTURED , hopefully he'll drift to 25 or 30/1

He should be 10/1 or lower IMO.

Nobody should ever be under 10/1 in the beginning of Feb.
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Itsmyluckyday.....15-1
    edited February 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I think with the new points system, the FIELD has value down to even money this year.

That's an exceptional point. Not at all sure about even-money, but @ 3/2 or so i think you may be onto something. We're definitely into some new territory here....will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    edited February 2013
    That's an exceptional point. Not at all sure about even-money, but @ 3/2 or so i think you may be onto something. We're definitely into some new territory here....will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'm scared of like, maybe, 2 horses on that original list. With the points system, maybe 4 horses from the original 23 will even be in the gate. 2/5 might be value (kidding), but do you want to tie up the cash?
    edited February 2013

DC - It's even more of a disparity than I thought, and Pletcher has 7 of the 23 entries anyways.

Look at this progression:

Southwest Stakes: 17 points - $300k
    Rebel Stakes: 85 points - $600k
    Arkansas Derby - 170 point - $1,000k

So essentially: the Southwest used to be worth 1/2 as much as the Southwest, and 1/3 of the Arkansas Derby. Now the Southwest is worth 1/5 of the Rebel and 1/10 of the Derby.

IMO the field is gonna have TONS of late bloomers, including those who pick up the pieces of the major events. It's structured the same in CA, NY, and FLA with regards to the preps.

This could be a very lucrative wager. Possibly one you could turn into a guaranteed profit before the race with a couple hedges.
    edited February 2013
    DC - It's even more of a disparity than I thought, and Pletcher has 7 of the 23 entries anyways.

Look at this progression:

Southwest Stakes: 17 points - $300k
    Rebel Stakes: 85 points - $600k
    Arkansas Derby - 170 point - $1,000k

So essentially: the Southwest used to be worth 1/2 as much as the Southwest, and 1/3 of the Arkansas Derby. Now the Southwest is worth 1/5 of the Rebel and 1/10 of the Derby.

IMO the field is gonna have TONS of late bloomers, including those who pick up the pieces of the major events. It's structured the same in CA, NY, and FLA with regards to the preps.

This could be a very lucrative wager. Possibly one you could turn into a guaranteed profit before the race with a couple hedges.

Field is 6/5. But again, to put this in persective - Shanghai Bobby (2yo champ) only has 24 points (he's the leader). That means with 1,200 more points up for grabs, this list of 23 is shit.

I'm gonna bet 5k FIELD @EVEN money or better on Sunday, and sort it out later.
    edited February 2013
    Field is 6/5. But again, to put this in persective - Shanghai Bobby (2yo champ) only has 24 points (he's the leader). That means with 1,200 more points up for grabs, this list of 23 is shit.

I'm gonna bet 5k FIELD @EVEN money or better on Sunday, and sort it out later.

And furthermore, Shanghai Bobby is currently 8-1. SMFH.
    edited February 2013

Not sure where your other thread is, but the news on the side of the links says Coolmore bought a piece of Verrazano.
  • CigarShopCigarShop Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    I have a 100 on Frac Daddy and. 200 on Uncapturec
    edited February 2013
    I got trigger happy @ 7/5. Plus, I always seem to miss the fucking deadline. Here's $1,000 worth.

KY Derby Futures 1 $250.00 WN 24 $250.00 Pending
    edited February 2013
    I'll check the price again tomorrow, if it drifts up, I'm betting it again. I'm unsure what direction it will go this year....
    edited February 2013
    Damn dude, save some for the rest of us...
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Yeah same here just unburied myself from this 2 ft+ blizzard of snow we had to get out and play #24 others. Also threw a few on Oxbow. Can't believe some of these Pletcher horses are at single digits wow
    edited February 2013
    Go #24!!!
    edited February 2013
    I got trigger happy @ 7/5. Plus, I always seem to miss the fucking deadline. Here's $1,000 worth.

Go figure, I was on the golf course and missed the deadline again. I guess that makes it $1,000 @ 8/5. Let's go Palace Malice. Or any of the 15 Baffert horses that still have a shot. Or Always In A Tiz. Or Eddie K's REAL horse, not the piece of shit he sold Dennis (LOL, and even Mudflaps would make this bet a winner).

Let's go 24. You're the color-bearer for the whole HRT team.
    edited February 2013
    Great day for team 24. Two unlisted horses get a bulk of the points. Violence gets exposed - if you took 12-1 you're fucked. Palice Malice moves to front of Pletcher's class with Verrazano. Code West galloped out well too.
    edited February 2013
    Somebody tell me the Orb story. Did Joel take off that horse to ride Plesa's horse? Was he tossed after winning two straight? Interesting regardless, and congrats to Nate, he was all over it.

Well now, Orb and I've Struck a Nerve have twice the points of Shanghai Bobby and He's Had Enough (Who has had enough).
    edited February 2013
    Great day for team 24. Two unlisted horses get a bulk of the points. Violence gets exposed - if you took 12-1 you're fucked. Palice Malice moves to front of Pletcher's class with Verrazano. Code West galloped out well too.

Still think this is true, but actually they went pretty fucking fast up front. 12-1 was, and is, still idiotic.
    edited February 2013
    Not a bad day for #24, i guess.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Wonder what Palace Malice will be listed at in Pool 2? MIght offer a bit of value
    edited February 2013
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Wonder what Palace Malice will be listed at in Pool 2? MIght offer a bit of value

Mike, I'm not sure, but I would get some @ 50-1 or better. I would also grab a little Shakin' It Up for Baffert.

My sincere hope is that the points system still hasn't sunk in with these morons (if you're out there everyday - you know), and field goes off at 4 or 5-1. I'll reinvest, as more than half of the points will be up for grabs, and furthermore, the list of 23 entries will be vastly different. (So - in theory you could WIN the #24 bet in the second pool, but lose the first, if one of the original listed horses wins).