edited May 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
Carpe Diem

Dortmund

Upstart

Comments

• shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    Hi FB!

Of the three - Dortmund. Well, that's who I have in my futures pool.

I also have Texas Red and am waiting to see how he looks getting back to the track. I'm not giving up on him yet . . .

All the best, Sean
  • n---cn---c Junior Member
    edited March 2015
    Dortmund has a win over the track... Pletcher is 1 for 599 when it comes to Derby, but that 1 had a win over the track...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2015
    n---c wrote: »
    Dortmund has a win over the track... Pletcher is 1 for 599 when it comes to Derby, but that 1 had a win over the track...

That's true, Dortmund does have a win over the track. I had forgotten about that.

Pletcher's Carpe Diem does not have a win over the track, however. He has a win at Keeneland, maybe that's what you're thinking of.
    edited March 2015
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Carpe Diem

Dortmund

Upstart

Don't forget about Firing Line.

Dortmund's big win in the San Felipe really flatters him. Should have a pretty east road to the Derby too, with only a win in the Sunland Derby (and good health) standing in his way.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    Don't forget about Firing Line.

Dortmund's big win in the San Felipe really flatters him. Should have a pretty east road to the Derby too, with only a win in the Sunland Derby (and good health) standing in his way.

I think he's a hanger, he every shot to be Dortmund last out and let him come back up the rail to get him at the wire.
    edited March 2015
    I think he's a hanger, he every shot to be Dortmund last out and let him come back up the rail to get him at the wire.

I tend to disagree. It looked that way in the Bob Lewis, but it sure didn't look that way at all in the Los Al Futurity (when he was caught between horses, no less).

I guess we'll find out soon enough (but probably not @ Sunland, for obvious reasons).
    edited March 2015
    I tend to disagree. It looked that way in the Bob Lewis, but it sure didn't look that way at all in the Los Al Futurity (when he was caught between horses, no less).

I guess we'll find out soon enough (but probably not @ Sunland, for obvious reasons).

When I see a horse with a running line of 4-1-3-0 as of Firing Line, he had a 1 length lead in the stretch and for some reason didn't finish down the lane, as with Mr. Z. 10-1-3-4, IMO they fold up tank when they get in a battle. But this what makes racing great, we all our ways of capping and that's why we get certain prices on each runner each and every day.
    edited March 2015
    That's true, Dortmund does have a win over the track. I had forgotten about that.

Pletcher's Carpe Diem does not have a win over the track, however. He has a win at Keeneland, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

I'm pretty sure he was referencing Super Saver with his win at CD in the Ky Jockey Club Stakes, before the Ky Derby.
  • n---cn---c Junior Member
    edited March 2015
    TP horse had a win over the CD track.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    When I see a horse with a running line of 4-1-3-0 as of Firing Line, he had a 1 length lead in the stretch and for some reason didn't finish down the lane, as with Mr. Z. 10-1-3-4, IMO they fold up tank when they get in a battle. But this what makes racing great, we all our ways of capping and that's why we get certain prices on each runner each and every day.

I agree on horse records. Hate hate hate animals with more in the money efforts than wins. BUT Firing Line lost his first start in tough race, crushed, and then missed two noses to the derby favorite... So he 's legit. Mr. Z would lose by a neck to lord Nelson.
    edited March 2015
    And I still feel like Firing Line might like more distance.
    edited March 2015
    I respect your opinions on Firing Line, but I'm just not a fan of him. I also don't like how the connections are taking the lesser route to get the KY Derby, by going the Sunland Park route. I guess when he beats that so called field, we here the Mine That Bird reference up until the Ky Derby.
    edited March 2015
    Also of note, the question I asked hasn't been answered as of now. I will state yes, that 1 of the 3 I listed above at this present time should win the KY Derby. But we still have to see how AP does this for Bullet Bob at Oaklawn Park.
    edited March 2015
    [QUOTE=fbwinners;84383]When I see a horse with a running line of 4-1-3-0 as of Firing Line, he had a 1 length lead in the stretch and for some reason didn't finish down the lane, as with Mr. Z. 10-1-3-4, IMO they fold up tank when they get in a battle. But this what makes racing great, we all our ways of capping and that's why we get certain prices on each runner each and every day.[/QUOTE]

Firing Line had traffic trouble in his maiden debut; that's why he didn't win that one. Frankly, turn around that fluky Dortmund thing and he should be 3-for-4 lifetime.

I do agree with your premise, however, i think it applies mainly to horses that lack "heart", or have competitiveness issues. Based on what i saw from Firing Line in the Los Al Futurity (admittely just one race), i seriously doubt that's the case. He's also the only horse i've seen that's been able to pretty much just breeze right by Dortmund (which is what i saw in the Bob Lewis, jmo). I think he's a highly impressive colt.

All that being said, i must admit that there does seem to be a very bad trend forming in Firing Line's career (results-wise). The really good ones seem to find a way to win (like Dortmund), rather than constantly being "unluckly".

Speaking of which, the unluckiest horse in the world (Dreaming of Gold) has been entered back @ Gulfstream on Saturday.

Let's shift gears here. What do we think about Prospect Park? I'm a pretty big fan...
    edited March 2015
    Firing Line had traffic trouble in his maiden debut; that's why he didn't win that one. Frankly, turn around that fluky Dortmund thing and he should be 3-for-4 lifetime.

I do agree with your premise, however, i think it applies mainly to horses that lack "heart", or have competitiveness issues. Based on what i saw from Firing Line in the Los Al Futurity (admittely just one race), i seriously doubt that's the case. He's also the only horse i've seen that's been able to pretty much just breeze right by Dortmund (which is what i saw in the Bob Lewis, jmo). I think he's a highly impressive colt.

All that being said, i must admit that there does seem to be a very bad trend forming in Firing Line's career (results-wise). The really good ones seem to find a way to win (like Dortmund), rather than constantly being "unluckly".

Speaking of which, the unluckiest horse in the world (Dreaming of Gold) has been entered back @ Gulfstream on Saturday.

Let's shift gears here. What do we think about Prospect Park? I'm a pretty big fan...

I'm real high on Prospect Park, he was my selection over Dortmund last weekend. I think his career race and form cycle will be on Ky Derby Day. He as the look of a Real Quiet type. I prefer him over Firing Line on my end.
    edited March 2015
    I'm real high on Prospect Park, he was my selection over Dortmund last weekend. I think his career race and form cycle will be on Ky Derby Day. He as the look of a Real Quiet type. I prefer him over Firing Line on my end.

Actually have a small PP future..
  • duffmiver3duffmiver3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Carpe Diem

Dortmund

Upstart

in short ....................no
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    If El Kabeir shows me he can handle the 1 1/8 I'm playing him in the derby!
    edited March 2015

Quote from Firing Line Trainer! I thought this was interesting!

But he still demands special care. Twice in the past month – on Feb. 27 and March 9 – Firing Line has undergone shock-wave therapy, which can be used to treat soft-tissue and bone ailments. Callaghan said it was done on Firing Line “to cover all the bases.”
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    FB,

That is interesting to say the least. Not a fan of his, to begin with, this certainly doesn't do the colt any favors...
    edited March 2015
    Polamalu43 wrote: »
    FB,

That is interesting to say the least. Not a fan of his, to begin with, this certainly doesn't do the colt any favors...

It seems a little ODD to me, that's why I posted it for the forum.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    Just a couple of observations from Saturday at Oaklawn Park.

1. Team Baffert walked American Pharaoh over to the paddock with four (4) handlers around him.

2. While being saddled, American Pharaoh was hard to handle, and it took all four (4) handlers to get him settled so he could be saddled.

3. All the time, his ears were pricked and he glared at every horse in the paddock and would have taken a bite out of anyone that got close enough to reach.

4. AP has muscle on top of muscle.

5. I watched the race with several trainers, and afterward, when showing the replay, all were just in awe of his stride. That's all I heard!

6. Until he has a hiccup, this is the horse to beat! I know the experts talk about his dam side being sprint heavy and his not being able to get the distance, but when you see a horse like American Pharaoh, all that dosage factor shit becomes meaningless! This is one serious racehorse!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    Also, do not let the slow times of the Rebel fool you, if AP had been using that long stride over a track that was anything other than awful, the time would have been very good. Plus, do not forget that CD has a deeper surface like Oaklawn, and history shows that Oaklawn runners fare pretty good running in the Derby?
    edited March 2015
    JG:

Thanks for the insight. I believe, as well, this horse is simply a freak.
    edited March 2015
    Just a couple of observations from Saturday at Oaklawn Park.

1. Team Baffert walked American Pharaoh over to the paddock with four (4) handlers around him.

2. While being saddled, American Pharaoh was hard to handle, and it took all four (4) handlers to get him settled so he could be saddled.

3. All the time, his ears were pricked and he glared at every horse in the paddock and would have taken a bite out of anyone that got close enough to reach.

4. AP has muscle on top of muscle.

5. I watched the race with several trainers, and afterward, when showing the replay, all were just in awe of his stride. That's all I heard!

6. Until he has a hiccup, this is the horse to beat! I know the experts talk about his dam side being sprint heavy and his not being able to get the distance, but when you see a horse like American Pharaoh, all that dosage factor shit becomes meaningless! This is one serious racehorse!

You mean like not making his 3yo debut until mid-March?

Nice horse and everything, but i've gotta think winning the Derby will be an extremely tall order, considering his lack of foundation. I also think he has a very unfavorable running style, as one-dimensional frontrunners almost never win the Derby.

I know, who's to say he's one-dimensoional? He may even try to purposely take back a bit in his final Derby prep. The fact remains though, his only wins to date have been wire jobs.
    edited March 2015
    I'm looking forward to seeing Firing Line this weekend, although his expected win @ Sunland will mean about as much as AP's win in the Rebel. He is in need of a confidence-booster though, so that may be his benefit (along with the Derby Points, of course).

Looks like he drew the rail, btw.
    edited March 2015
    I'm looking forward to seeing Firing Line this weekend, although his expected win @ Sunland will mean about as much as AP's win in the Rebel. He is in need of a confidence-booster though, so that may be his benefit (along with the Derby Points, of course).

Looks like he drew the rail, btw.

I'm pretty sure he could load backwards and win.
    edited March 2015
    I'm liking the Firing Line/Why Two exacta.
    edited March 2015
    This is another PISS POOR field for a Ky Derby Prep. We really won't know anything more than we know now, as this day and age everybody ducks everybody. We don't have those budding races like the days of Freehouse and Silver Charm!!! Nobody wants to face each other no longer. It's BORING!!!! The Fl Derby will be the top two from the FOY and the SA Derby will be competitive as the filed is shaping up to be the best!!! The La Derby will be deep as well, but still don't know about the quality of that group!!! The WOOD will be COMICAL if Frosted ships in and dust them down the lane. He likes that surface and he TRAINS like a F'Ing BEAST!! But his afternoon work has been HORRIBLE in his last two!! My favorite runner at this time, not my pick for the KY Derby is Upstart, he's a true WINNER and loves to get physical down the lane as well. He's just a running SOB!!! His connections keep him under the RADAR, if he was with TAP or BB you would be tired of hearing about him. This colt can run with the best of them and hates being in the STALL, his work yesterday was flat out UNREAL!!! They better have their running shoes on in the Fl Derby next week!!!
    edited March 2015
    FB:

I concur. The FL Derby is coming up weak in terms of entrants. I can't come up with more than 5 runners. Upstart should roll, but long term, how does a short field "harden" the colt? We shall see.

The LA Derby appears to warrant more entrants. I don't know the how the overall depth of the field will be, but perhaps with a bigger field, there will be some adversity those entered may have to overcome. As we all know, overcoming adversity is certainly a plus come the first Saturday in May.

The West Coast preps appear to be the deepest as far as talent. The San Felipe was a great prep and I expect the SA Derby to be the same. It appears the bench is much deeper out West. This group of colts should be battle tested, relative to the deep crop.

There is a long way to go yet, but at this point, the West controls things in my eyes.