Eight Belles

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited May 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
I can give you all a heads up on Eight Belles and tell you one thing her work this week was just plan AWESOME, she worked 59 and change and wasn't even asked in the work by Terry Thompson. Terry rode her last out and this weekend she will be ridden by Ramon D., the only way I lose my futre wager on her in the Oaks is they decide to run her in the Derby. I cannot see that happening as she doesnt have any graded earnings and after Sunday's race would have to win one fo the final derby preps to make it to the starting gate on May 3rd. She is owned by Mr. Porter who owned Hard Spun last year and he wants to win a Derby in the biggest way. I can tell you one thing but it will never happen if she is even money on Sunday bet want you want as she will cruise to one of he easiest victories you will see a filly do. Also don't foget to use her as a single in pick 3's and double's if availabe and turn her into 2-3/1. Just remember here EIGHT BELLES wins the Oaks if she gets to the starting gate and her stable mate Proud Spell might just complete the exacta with her on May 2nd.

FB

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    Hope you all got to watch this filly run today as she won under raps and will be awesome as the year goes on. I have been out of town this past weekend and will be back this week with some solid info.
    edited March 2008
    Eight Belles Has Easy Time in Honeybee
    Email Print RSS by Jason Shandler
    Date Posted: March 16, 2008
    Last Updated: March 16, 2008

Eight Belles and jockey Ramon Dominguez won Oaklawn's Honeybee (gr. III) with deceptive ease.

Two starts ago, Eight Belles won by 15 lengths against allowance competition. Last out, the daughter of Unbridled's Song set the win-margin record in the Martha Washington Stakes during a 13 ½-length romp.
    In the $100,000 Honeybee Stakes (gr. III) (VIDEO) March 16 at Oaklawn Park, the streaking 3-year-old filly proved she could handle graded stakes competition, as she scored by 1 1/4 lengths after coasting to the wire with ease under a confident Ramon Dominguez. She defeated five rivals.

In a match-up that was billed as a battle between budding superstars Eight Belles and Pure Clan, at the end there was little doubt which filly was better. Although the final margin would indicate that it was a relatively close contest, Dominguez never had to ask Eight Belles after opening up a clear lead in the stretch, as he looked over his shoulder several times without ever going to the stick.

Pure Clan entered the Honeybee undefeated in four starts, but was unraced since Nov. 24, when she won the Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) by two lengths at Churchill Downs. The Pure Prize filly rallied willingly down the stretch in her 3-year-old debut, finishing 2 1/4 lengths in front of third-place Kadira.

Eight Belles’ time of 1:43.91 in the 1 1/16-mile event was just .03 seconds off Sierra Sunset’s winning time in the March 15 Rebel.

“She’s a very talented filly and so is Proud Spell,” said trainer Larry Jones, who may have the top two 3-year-old fillies entering the May 2 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I). “We’re very blessed. Both of them ran the same or better times than the boys; Proud Spell was faster than Pyro in Louisiana

Carl Pollard’s Kadira came out sprinting to get the early lead from the inside post. The Kafwain filly was unchallenged through opening fractions of :24.31 and :48.72. Salomea was the pace-stalker, while Cozy Mesa and Eight Belles were content to race alongside in the next group.

As they entered the final turn, Eight Belles used the three-spot to challenge Kadira, and took the lead by 2 1/2 lengths entering the top of the lane. Six furlongs was run in 1:13.32.

Eight Belles had more to give in upper stretch and easily extended her lead. As the leader passed the sixteenth-pole, Pure Clan was charging strongly from the outside, but Dominguez never flinched in bringing his talented filly to the wire.

“Things worked out well today,” said Jones, who added Eight Belles would make her final Oaks prep in the April 6 Fantasy Stakes (gr. II) at Oaklawn. “Ramon just sat patiently on her and tried to slow it down. He didn’t have to ask her. I think he switched to his left hand and just threatened her with (the whip) a bit, but that was it. He checked back to make sure he was OK. He didn’t want to use any more than he had to.”

Eight Belles is out of the Dixieland Band mare Away. The gray/roan filly was bred in Kentucky by Robert Clay and Serengeti Stable. A $375,000 purchase at the 2006 Keeneland September yearling sale, she is owned by Fox Hill Farms.

Going off as the 3-5 favorite, Eight Belles paid $3.20, $2.20 and $2.20. The exacta (6-4) was worth $5.80.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2008
    FB, i respect your opinion/knowledge, but you really need to tone down the outlandish statements. Like "the only way i lose my Oaks future is if they run her in the Derby". I love Eight Belles also, and it looks like she'll take a lot of beating in the Oaks (assuming she gets there), but come on.

A few weeks ago you said "War Pass will be 3/1 or less on Derby Day". Still feel that way?
    edited March 2008
    If War Pass would of won out T.B. Derby and W.M., he would of been 3/1-4/1 as the next coming of Seattle Slew as Andy Byer stated early one and so forth. I was never on War Pass but all the media pundits was blowing him up and the big word if he would of won out he would of been co-fav with Pyro but now he will probably be 10-1 - 15-1. No disrespect to you but the way I feel about a horse I really like, I lay it out there and if you don't like my statements or tone I'm sorry, it's not like I'm saying after the race and so on, I'm stating it way in advance. I loved Street Sense in the Derby last year and you heard how strong I liked him on the Jon's conference call last year.

The only reason I stated about her running in the Derby was that Rick Porter was pushing that way and L.J., was telling him let's not do that to her. I came to this forum after talking with Edward and I really thought I wouldn't have to deal with this type of post especially from you. I come on here with no monterary value and offer very good info in my opinion. I could of sent you a email when you had a bad run when I was the first customer to sign up as I didn't cash a ticket with my trial run and you have never heard me say anything about that and I was sending you all type of clocker info and other info I get willingly. Again I'm sorry if you feel I make outlandish statements and as I stated to Edward I will contribute to this forum and if he wants me to tone down my threads I will. But again I will write my threads as I feel needed and I hope they don't offend you in any way.

FB
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    FB: Keep the info flowing. Your info is right on. The analysis that you provided in the 10th race on LA Deby day was awesome stuff. Led to a $1,700 triple with the favorite in the mix. Thanks again
    edited March 2008
    I will be here to contribute don't worry. This is the only forum I'm posting at and will be the only one I see in my future.

FB
    edited March 2008
    For the record, i have ZERO problem with FB. I think he's great, i always have. He provides a unique insight that many (most) of us aren't privy to. He's also a very good basic handicapper, and he doesn't miss much.

The one thing i've definitely noticed however is that he tends to go a bit overboard when he likes a horse. Street Sense in the Derby last year makes a fine example. IIf i remember correctly, i think FB said that he would go off @ 5/2 on raceday (this is on the Wednesday evening before the race), and that he would bea great bet at that price. I just think FB is a little (a lot) overconfident sometimes, and in turn, that affects his perception of value. Most notably when it comes to futures.
    edited March 2008
    I have no problem with DCat and will never have a problem with anyone on this forum as I'm not the type of guy that beats my chest or has a ego big as the Empire State Building. I did say last year on the conf. call that Street Sense would be 5/2 fav and I would of played him at that and I was over elated to get 5/1. I have one motto bet horses not odds!!!!! No I don't bet 1/5's but I will play a even money favorite or a 3/5 if I think him/her is the best horse in the race on a rare occasion. When I love a horse I tend to get over zelous and some people take it the wrong way, I can eat crow when I lose but you won't here me gloat when I win. Look at yesterday the only two fillies in the race Eight Belles and Pure Clan and you get 2/1 on the exacta I was foaming at the mouth on the payouts. I would of gotten more if my partner wouldn't of crushed it so big.

FB
    edited March 2008
    I actually gave out Eight Belles on my website, on the off chance that she went off at even-money. Pure Clan had received a lot of hype, and i was hoping she would pull more money than she did. They were real close on the morning line @ 6/5 and 7/5, respectively. I guess Eight Belles was a little too obvious.
    edited March 2008
    My partner killed us on that even money chance as he had 50k on her nose and the pool wasn't as big as we thought it would of been.

FB
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    FB, was Pure Clan coming off an extended layoff coming into the race? I kinda remember that being said by one of the HRTV on air personalities. If that was the case, she certainly could offer good value against Eight Belles if they ran again. She's a tryer, and just looked a bit short.

As far as Eight Belles and the Derby. She does not look near physical enough to me to handle a roughly run race w/ colts. The philly's that have done well in TC races were physically very well put together and as big as the boys. She's really fast, but don't think she's made to compete in a race like that unless she get's a perfect trip.
    edited March 2008
    I agree with you on her running in the Derby, I'm just passing along info from the Jones/Porter connection. I truly think she is the best filly at this time and Pure Clan was coming off a layoff but she might be the play in the Oaks for you as that will be her 3rd race off the layoff and she will offer huge value in that race as she has already won over that track.

FB
    edited March 2008
    Clearly this was more of a prep for Pure Clan, despite her undefeated record. And Pure Clan did make a nice late run to cut the margin, but Eight Belles was already wrapped up at that point, just as she had been the previous time.

Personally, i think there may be some value on Eight Belles in the Oaks, as many people will likely side with Proud Spell, due to her beating the high-profile Breeders Cup winner Indian Blessing. The Frankel filly Country Star would pull a ton of action as well.
    edited March 2008
    I think Proud Spell will beat Country Star next week in the Ashland if she takes to the poly, as this is Coutry's first race in a long time coming. As DCat knows I had County Star big win she broke her maiden at Keenland last year and that was in a stakes race as a maiden, I posted it in another fourm. Conutry is a very specail filly but hasn't run on the real dirt and won't until the Oaks if she runs back well in the Ashland. I think Proud Spell will be the better betting entry that day as that will be her 3rd off the layoff and expect a peak performance on the poly for the first time. If Proud Spell runs bad on the poly she will be a bigger price in the Oaks if Country runs back huge.

FB
  • tomjohntomjohn Member
    edited March 2008
    fb, sounds to me like you are the chalk in this race. interesting thread, almost as good as.......
    edited March 2008
    Here is the press release it comes out way after my update for you all, but read below on the great Eight Belles!!

FB

Eight Belles nominated to Arkansas Derby

Eight Belles could take on the boys in the Arkansas Derby (Coady Photogprahy)
    EIGHT BELLES (Unbridled's Song), impressive winner of the Honeybee S. (G3) at Oaklawn Park last week, was nominated Friday to the April 12 Arkansas Derby (G2), leaving the door open to a possible start in the May 3 Kentucky Derby (G1) at Churchill Downs.

The gray filly may still yet run in the April 6 Fantasy S. (G2) against fillies at Oaklawn, but trainer Larry Jones said the "Arkansas Derby gives us another option." Rick Porter, the owner of Eight Belles, feels there would be potential benefits to facing the boys in the Arkansas Derby.

"The added distance of the Derby is one reason why we would prefer to run the filly in the Arkansas Derby if we do decide to go to the Kentucky Derby," said Porter, who campaigned 2007 Kentucky Derby runner-up Hard Spun. "Also, the residual value of beating the boys would be important.

"The only negative about running in the Arkansas Derby would be that it would give (Eight Belles) three weeks, instead of four, into the Kentucky Oaks (G1) or Kentucky Derby," Porter added. "But we certainly will give the Arkansas Derby serious consideration."

If Eight Belles opts for the Fantasy, she would likely face PURE CLAN (Pure Prize), who finished second in the Honeybee in her first start since November.

"Eight Belles is a great filly and she deserves the chance to beat the boys in the Arkansas Derby," said Bonnie Holthus, wife of Pure Clan's trainer, Bob Holthus. "As for Pure Clan, she'll be sticking with the girls. Our goals are to win the Fantasy and the (May 2) Kentucky Oaks."
    edited April 2008
    Our plans right now are to go the (May 2) Kentucky Oaks (G1), but the (Kentucky) Derby (G1) is not out of the question," owner Rick Porter said. "If we feel she has a good chance in the Derby, we'll go to the Derby.

"We have four weeks. A lot can happen in four weeks."
    edited April 2008
    Eight Belles Could Run in Derby

Eight Belles could be entered in both the Kentucky Oaks and Derby.

Owner Rick Porter has always known Eight Belles is a solid contender – but he’s thinking about putting the 3-year-old filly’s class and stamina to the ultimate test May 3. Porter said April 13, if all goes well, the daughter of Unbridled’s Song will be entered in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).

Plans in Thoroughbred racing can change at a moment’s notice, but three weeks before the Derby, Porter and trainer Larry Jones remained cautiously optimistic about the filly’s chances at making the gate on the first Saturday in May. Racing under the red and white colors of Porter’s Fox Hill Farms, Eight Belles is nominated to both the Derby and the May 2 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), and the owner plans to enter both races if circumstances allow.

“Obviously, the (April 12 prep races) were a part of the decision-making process,” Porter said. “I’m going to get the (Ragozin) numbers on the top 20 horses, along with the past performances, and sit down and analyze them with Larry. But more importantly, Larry will be in

Lexington April 15 and he’ll start getting on her to see how aggressively she’s training and whether he thinks she’s sitting on an improvement.”

Eight Belles, bred in Kentucky by Robert Clay and Serengeti Stable, is out of the Dixieland Band mare Away. She has won her past four starts by a combined margin of 30 ½ lengths, including her most recent score April 6 in the Fantasy Stakes (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park.

“Larry will know best of all, and if she’s doing well and Larry tells me that he thinks she’s still on the improve and sitting on big race, there’s only one thing that has both of us concerned,” Porter said. “She doesn’t get out of the gate real fast and in a 20-horse field., if she happens to draw the outside post position, she’ll be at a great disadvantage going into the first turn.”

Porter said he still has to review the competition for the Derby as it stands after April 12, but that a long-term plan would have Eight Belles at least entering the Derby, should everything fall into place.

“We know she’ll get the distance, number one, and we know she has a lot of heart,” he said. “She can run on the front, she can stalk and come from off the pace… she’s a very talented filly and with the competition out there, with the colts this year, she fits right in with the top three or four 3-year-olds in America. Based on her talent, her ability, and her versatility, we think she belongs and can compete with colts at the very top end. We wouldn’t run her if didn’t think we could win (the Derby).”
    Eight Belles currently has graded stakes earnings of $308,650, which places her among the top 20 horses on the Kentucky Derby graded earnings list.
    edited April 2008
    I will try to explain exactly where we are with Eight Belles. I am sure you have read many articles written by various press people. I would love to run her in the Derby if certain conditions are right. First of all, Larry and I agree that she has the talent and proven past performances to compete in the Derby. There are a couple question marks. Number one issue concerns her initial break from the gate. She does not break well and if she got an outside post position, our chance of doing well would be severely compromised.

The second issue is her current training. I will rely on Larry to decide how well she is training. He will start galloping her himself today. He will know by getting on her. She has to be training like she is sitting on a huge performance. She has to have a good breeze or two. Larry will take her to Churchill soon and see how well she handles the track. If Larry tells me she likes the track surface and is training forwardly, I have decided I will enter the Oaks on Tuesday and the Derby on Wednesday. I will then have the option, after seeing our post position in the Derby, to run in either race. If we draw a decent post in the Derby, she will race there. If we draw a bad post in our opinion, she will run in the Oaks.

This is within the rules and it is not poor sportsmanship. It would be prohibited by the racing officials if they didn't want it to happen. Only a filly can do this. I feel very fair about doing this. Time will tell. Larry has to be behind me 110%. I will not enter her in the Derby unless Larry thinks we have a good chance of winning. That is the whole story on Eight Belles. Anything else that you read contradicting that is not true. It is a terrific position to be in. She is a very talented and beautiful filly.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I will try to explain exactly where we are with Eight Belles. I am sure you have read many articles written by various press people. I would love to run her in the Derby if certain conditions are right. First of all, Larry and I agree that she has the talent and proven past performances to compete in the Derby. There are a couple question marks. Number one issue concerns her initial break from the gate. She does not break well and if she got an outside post position, our chance of doing well would be severely compromised.

The second issue is her current training. I will rely on Larry to decide how well she is training. He will start galloping her himself today. He will know by getting on her. She has to be training like she is sitting on a huge performance. She has to have a good breeze or two. Larry will take her to Churchill soon and see how well she handles the track. If Larry tells me she likes the track surface and is training forwardly, I have decided I will enter the Oaks on Tuesday and the Derby on Wednesday. I will then have the option, after seeing our post position in the Derby, to run in either race. If we draw a decent post in the Derby, she will race there. If we draw a bad post in our opinion, she will run in the Oaks.

This is within the rules and it is not poor sportsmanship. It would be prohibited by the racing officials if they didn't want it to happen. Only a filly can do this. I feel very fair about doing this. Time will tell. Larry has to be behind me 110%. I will not enter her in the Derby unless Larry thinks we have a good chance of winning. That is the whole story on Eight Belles. Anything else that you read contradicting that is not true. It is a terrific position to be in. She is a very talented and beautiful filly.

What are your personal thoughts on her chances in the Derby if she does decide to run in it?
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    i just wish that the jockey would have at least given her a couple of taps with the whip,
    i have seen too many good horses, get beat when someone runs up on them in a big
    race....don't get me wrong she is the horse to beat in the oaks, but i think with the boys
    she would get ran over at the top of the lane. i hope they don't ruin another good filly....
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    I say there is nothing wrong with running in the Oaks, which is shaping up itself to be a great race, and even though she will be the Fav, it will not be an easy spot like last years contest. As we seen last year, there is always the Preakness and The Belmont which each race will have less entries that might set up better for her if the owners are worried about a bad break plus post position, but that is the derby, a big field and if you get a bad break, well your horse better relax and be ready for a big late kick.... I also think a lot of people would be negative on the horse if she ran in the derby and didnt finish respectable (Top 5) They would all say she should have run in the oaks..... Me personally i would say nice job as long as she didnt get blown away!

As much as i would like to see that story play out, i would prefer to see her run in the oaks and then follow rags to riches and run in the belmont.
    edited April 2008
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    What are your personal thoughts on her chances in the Derby if she does decide to run in it?

My personal opinion is I hope they run her in the Oaks as I have a nice future ticket on her and can wipe my ass with it if she goes to the Derby. This is the most confusing Derby I have seen in many years and that comes from the polytracks. I truly think the Cali contingent is way better than most are saying. There speed numbers aren't big but when they have run on the real dirt in Oaklawn there speed numbers jump up huge. Eight Belles is a very special filly and I truly don't think she has a chance to win the Derby not saying she can't run in the money (highly unlikely), it will be a 20 horse field if she's entered and I really feel if she continues to work well they will run her in the Derby if her post is good. Just think she ran a 99 at Oaklawn for her best Beyer number and Gayego and Z Fortune ran 103 and 102 last weekend and that was Gayego first race on dirt and he ran his career best number as did Z Fortune. I will be back with a detailed analysis on all Derby probables this weekend after the Lexington as I will be leaving on May 1st for Louisville to attend The Oaks and Derby and will be out of pocket for updates. I'm going to try and update a thread on Friday night before the Derby real late with any info I can come across. I will be having dinner with a Speed Figure Guru on Thusday in Louisville and will pass along any info he gives as this is my first meeting with him. Below are the colts I think can win the Derby.

Big Brown - Just looks to be the real deal, if the foot issues are behind him he will be tough. Broke his maiden at a route of ground on the weeds and that is so highly abnormal and they way he did it was awesome as he rebroked at the top of the stretch and just ran off like a scared cat running from a dog. Then comes back at a flat mile and wins for fun in a fast time. Then breaks from post 12 and runs unheard of fractions on the front end at a 1 1/8 and wins that race for fun also. This colt is a very good colt and not a Bellamy Road thats not saying he will win the Derby but watch out for him and don't use him because he is the now horse and everbody is saying this and that.

Colonel John - This colt seems to me as good as they come has good size and a very good style of running and probably will be the wise guy horse come Derby day and that sucks for me as as at this time I have him on top as my key horse for Win and Place wager and exoctics. Watch what happens when he comes to Churchill and works like a freight train over the surface everybody will be saying it's his race to lose and so on. I wish Eoin Harty would of keep him in Cali and let him hit real dirt for the first time on Derby Day and just cruise on by them in the stretch to the winners cirlce. But he will be the now horse especially since Big Brown will stay in Florida for his works and the only other thing that can help the Colonel's price is Pyro works a strong 58/59 5f breeze and they all like to play the Ass man in Ky.

To be continued with remaining contenders.

FB
    edited April 2008
    Larry was all smiles coming off the Keeneland track this morning. He was very happy with the way she felt. He will work her a very easy 1/2 mile on Sunday at Keeneland. This is just to stretch her legs. He will breeze her the following Sunday at Churchill, weather permitting. If the forecast looks like it would produce an off track, he will schedule her Churchill work for a different date. This will be a good work and help determine where she will race.
    edited April 2008
    Eight Belles had a great work this morning. She stretched her legs but did it quickly. She did it very easily and looked like she was just galloping over the poly track. 46 3/5ths and galloped out the extra eighth at 59 3/5ths. She came back great. She wasn't blowing very much and drank less that a bucket of water. Gabriel Saez was aboard and was very surprised at the time as was Larry. She looked like she was going so easy.

She will work next Sunday at Churchill if the track is good. We always have the option of moving it to Saturday or Monday if the weather interferes.

She is looking great and training better. All systems are go for the first weekend in May.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    To be honest never paid much attention to the horse until after reading all your posts about the hrose a few days ago. They showed her on TV last night during the telecast of the Lexington. Holy shit is that horse that big or was she standing on something? After looking at her past performances and seeing her yesterday would be interesting to see her take on the boys come derby day.
    edited April 2008
    Larry and I have decided to have Gabriel Saez ride Eight Belles in The Kentucky Derby. Larry has so much confidence in Gabriel that I didn't even bring up any alternative possibillities with him. I am behind the choice 100%.

Rick
    edited April 2008
    At 5 p.m. yesterday (Thursday), trainer Jones called Saez' agent and told him that Eight Belles will run in the Derby (barring getting post 18 or out), and he wants Saez to ride her
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    At 5 p.m. yesterday (Thursday), trainer Jones called Saez' agent and told him that Eight Belles will run in the Derby (barring getting post 18 or out), and he wants Saez to ride her

Time to make an early wager on Pure Clan while I can get 8-1 on her :drinking:
    edited April 2008

I received a tex this morning and also the 9/19 as they are the last to load.

FB