Eight Belles

2»

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    I just spoke with Larry as they were loading Proud Spell, Eight Belles and the pony on Larry's trailer van for the ride to Churchill. I am not sure of the correct term for the vehicle that the horses are riding in behind Larry's truck. She galloped great this morning and will gallop at Churchill in the morning and breeze after the break on Sunday. We will enter Tuesday for the Oaks and we will know Wednesday morning whether we will have an acceptable post. They draw names for the order of selection Wednesday morning. The selection process in downtown Louisville is late Wednesday afternoon. It is televised. Here's hoping that we hear Eight Belles name annouced early. Hard Spun was the third name announced. Larry and I really want to run in the Derby. It will take a very bad post choice to keep us out.

Rick
    edited April 2008
    Scott and I are back from a whirlwind trip to Louisville. Kodiak Kowboy almost stayed up but finished a good second, if there is such a thing. Eight Belles looks better than terrific and she worked great this morning. All of you have had a chance to see her time of 58 1/5. I couldn't believe it when Steve Haskin, who was with me, looked at his watch and gave me the time. By the way, it was deja vu this morning as Steve and Scott and I were together a year ago when I turned to Steve and said he (Hard Spun) didn't look like he was going that fast. Steve looked at his stop watch, which I didn't even know he had, and told me 58 3/5. I just hope that irony results in Eight Belles running as well as Hard Spun did a year ago. Without any bad luck, we would have been in the winner's circle.
    Scott and I are going back to Louisville Tuesday and I will try to give you daily reports. Let's hope FHF gets an early call at the selection draw Wednesday morning. A good post for the Oaks, as a backup, would be super. I guess I am hoping for too much but it is always good to dream big!

Rick
    edited April 2008
    FB, i respect your opinion/knowledge, but you really need to tone down the outlandish statements. Like "the only way i lose my Oaks future is if they run her in the Derby". I love Eight Belles also, and it looks like she'll take a lot of beating in the Oaks (assuming she gets there), but come on.

A few weeks ago you said "War Pass will be 3/1 or less on Derby Day". Still feel that way?

Well DCat I wish I would of been wrong and the only way I could of lost my Oaks future wager came true and I have to eat 3 dimes now and move on. Well good luck to you this coming weekend and may the horses be with you.

FB
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    it's been a fun journey.....she made it to the big dance....

good luck and good racing......you gave her to us months ago......
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Well DCat I wish I would of been wrong and the only way I could of lost my Oaks future wager came true and I have to eat 3 dimes now and move on. Well good luck to you this coming weekend and may the horses be with you.

FB

Well, this will start some controversy. She would have been my 4th choice in the Oaks. After watching the last race, their is no chance anyone will convince me that Pure Clan wasn't going to beat her at 1 1/8. She should have won the last race except for a terrible ride, and the reason Prado now gets the mount. She's been pointed to this race.......every clocker I know of has said that Proud Spell is the star filly of the Jones barn recently. She has looked super in the mornings, better than EB's. Also, Golden Doc A is training up a storm heading into this race and this is a filly that is really maturing into a very good racehorse.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    2W2P2S wrote: »
    Well, this will start some controversy. She would have been my 4th choice in the Oaks. After watching the last race, their is no chance anyone will convince me that Pure Clan wasn't going to beat her at 1 1/8. She should have won the last race except for a terrible ride, and the reason Prado now gets the mount. She's been pointed to this race.......every clocker I know of has said that Proud Spell is the star filly of the Jones barn recently. She has looked super in the mornings, better than EB's. Also, Golden Doc A is training up a storm heading into this race and this is a filly that is really maturing into a very good racehorse.

So who do you like on top for the Oaks?
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    FB,

Why are the connections so interested in racing her in the Derby. other than ego..only 2 fillies have won...Genuine Risk was obviously a freak horse, but when it came to breeding she only delivered 2 live foals in 17 tries....I would have to think maybe those 3 grueling races had some effect on not being able to deliver....she was retired from breeding in 2000

Good luck...but I can't say I give her much of a chance.
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    So who do you like on top for the Oaks?

I"ll play Pure Clan keyed on top of Proud Spell and Golden Doc A
    And those 2 reversed on top of Pure Clan