A look ahead to the Breeders Cup

2»

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    DC it was a very game race for indyanne yesterday. the race that was wow to me was when square eddie exploded at the finish and bobby frankel was right when he said vineyard haven didnt get enough credit because he looked impressive yesterday aswell
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2008
    Indeed, Frankel knew what he was talking about regarding Vineyard Haven. I should've taken heed, as Frankel very rarely shoots his mouth off. Nice price @ 4/1 on the Hopeful winner.
    edited October 2008
    from SFGate:

Indyanne wins at Keeneland: Northern California's Indyanne ($5.40) led from soon after the start and held off the closing charge of Wild Gams to win the Grade 3, $300,000 Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes by a head Saturday at Keeneland.

Indyanne's fifth victory in six starts earned her an automatic berth in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint on Oct. 24 at Santa Anita, but trainer Greg Gilchrist wouldn't commit to that.

"That was a helluva race," he said. "I knew from looking at the past performances that nobody was going to draw off and win by far. It could have been a Grade 1 instead of a Grade 3. We need to get her back home and see how tired she is or isn't. There are only 20 days until the Breeders' Cup. Probably it will take us a few days to make that decision."
    edited October 2008
    DC. i had to ask why was r.baze not on her but riding in oak tree at the time. i think she will run in the sprint but she should hope that indian blessing goes against the boys.
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    I don't talk in absolutes, anyone that's been around long enough knows anything can happen. BUT-- No way do I see her winning at 7F's against the horses she's going to be up against, and not in 20 days coming off that race. I'd be surprised if she went, and if she does, I'll definitely be playing against.
    edited October 2008
    I would have to agree I just think that it was to tough of a race to close to the breeders cup. I also do not see this happening and i also thikit is a bet against.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    DC, just wanted to see your thoughts on the Juvenile races as we approach the BC.

The male juvenile seems to be completely up in the air for me. Street Hero, Midshipman, Coronet of a Baron, Munnings, Cribnote, etc.

I can't find anyone in the female group that seems to be able to compete with Stardom Bound. Unless the pace dooms her completely I don't really see anyone outrunning her.

What do you guys think?
    edited October 2008
    First off, i do agree with 2w2p2s regarding the distance and pace set-up of the F&M Sprint. It isn't really conducive to an Indyanne win. That being said, i' don't believe she's a need-the-lead speedball, such as Dearest Trickski (who will almost certainly be setting the pace). Indyanne showed at Calder that she can lay off the pace a bit, and that will be key here. The draw figures to be extremely important for her, assuming she's entered at all. The 7 furlong distance appears to be a definite negative, but whatcha gonna do. Not liking her at the raceday price and not liking her @ 40/1 are completely different matters. She would certainly be one of the fastest and most talented fillies in the race.
    edited October 2008
    The Juvenile races, huh? Hard to say right now, at least in the male version. Stardom Bound appears best of the females. I'll need to watch some replays (over and over again), but at the moment i have a favorable impression of Midshipman. He seems like a pretty good place to start. Square Eddie obviously deserves a look as well. Incidentally, i just read this morning that he's been transferred to Doug O'Neill for the Breeders Cup.
    edited October 2008
    Doug O' Neill was at keeneland and he was for a lost of words after that performance. A key thing that i heard and saw was that midshipment worked without blinkers now if he runs without them is a different story. I do agree that the males juvenile is much more up in the air then females. I do want to say that cribnote did let me down with a bad race.
    edited October 2008
    well the juvenile males took another hit because charitable man for McLaughlin has a injured front leg. also abraaj is out of the sprint.
    edited October 2008
    from Keeneland barn notes:

INDYANNE TO HEAD BACK HOME TUESDAY
    Before beginning a coast-to-coast trip back home to San Francisco via Charlotte, North Carolina, trainer Greg Gilchrist stopped by Barn 25 early Sunday morning to check in on Indyanne, winner of Saturday’s Thoroughbred Club of America (G3).

“She cleaned up all her feed last night and looked good this morning,” Gilchrist said. “She will head back home to the Bay Area (at Golden Gate) on Tuesday.”

Owned by David and Jill Heerensperger, Indyanne won for the fifth time in six career starts and claimed her second Grade 3 in front-running fashion as she held off Wild Gams by a head in covering the six furlongs in 1:08.50.

The victory earned Indyanne a spot in the starting gate for the $1 million Sentient Flight Group Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint to be run at Santa Anita on October 24.

“The most important thing for us is to get her back home and see how she is doing after this race,” said Gilchrist, who never had started a horse at Keeneland before Indyanne’s triumph. “If anything is going to show up, it is usually the second day because the day after they still have that adrenaline going and are still a little worked up.

“We probably won’t make a decision on the Breeders’ Cup until next week on whether we go or not.”

The Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint is run at seven furlongs, a distance that Indyanne has yet to attempt.
    “I don’t think seven-eighths will be a problem for her,” Gilchrist said. “Usually the pace is softer and I really think that she can get a mile.”
    edited October 2008
    it is going to interesting to see if hey go or not. I think that they will go and you never know she may get better when they go longer. If anyone can do it, it is gilchrist.
    edited October 2008
    well now it is smooth air to go in the classic and commentator out unitl next year.
    edited October 2008
    from the Breeders' Cup website:

* Indyanne's trainer, Greg Gilchrist, confirmed Wednesday that "we're planning on running" in the Filly and Mare Sprint. Robby Albarado has the call.
    edited October 2008
    Thats good. I think she is a top class filly sprinter so I was expecting her to go. DC have you read anything about where bob baffert is running indian blessing.
    edited October 2008
    I'm sure he'll run her in the F&M Sprint, in part because he's entering Midnight Lute in the Sprint.
    edited October 2008
    I think that midnight lute is going to run a big race in the sprint, even though im a huge black seventeen fan you just cant beat his stride when he is right.