Kentucky Derby Contenders Tid Bits

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited April 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
Please use this thread for any good nuggets of info for the Kentucky Derby contenders!

Dana Barnes on Dortmund

“He’s just a great big baby,” Barnes said fondly of Dortmund. While casual observers compare the 17-hand, nearly 1,300-pound chestnut to another tall redhead trained by Baffert, 2001 Horse of the Year and Preakness and Belmont Stakes winner Point Given, Barnes knows better from her unique experience in the saddle.

“He doesn’t hit the ground hard, like Point Given did,” Barnes said. “He’s much lighter and more agile on his feet.”

In collaboration with Baffert, Barnes has come up with a methodology of keeping Dortmund—who at times has been a bit fractious—calm and happy. She carries carrots in her pocket as she rides the son of Big Brown out for exercise at Santa Anita Park, and he will stop at the same place, the last barn before reaching the racing office, every day “and ask for a carrot.”

“Bob wanted me to take the carrots to settle him down,” she related, adding that Dortmund has responded well to the treat therapy. After giving the colt a carrot, “then I go to the gap and he could stand there all day. The other day there was a loose horse, and he just stood there and watched.”

With his size and intensity, Dortmund is not an easy ride, according to regular jockey Martin Garcia, who told Barnes he doesn’t know how she gallops the colt. But her instinctive horsemanship skills and quiet manner have given her the edge on many a strong colt over the years.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Exercise rider Dana Barnes must be related to long-time top Baffert assistant trainer Jim Barnes.

Jim Barnes has been in charge of American Pharoah since day one, and was in Hot Springs for the Rebel and is returning on Wednesday with the Arkansas Derby favorite. Bob doesn't travel much anymore since his heart problems but I would be surprised if he didn't show up Saturday(you would think Zayat would offer to give him a lift in his jet, wouldn't you?)
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Exercise rider Dana Barnes must be related to long-time top Baffert assistant trainer Jim Barnes.

Jim Barnes has been in charge of American Pharoah since day one, and was in Hot Springs for the Rebel and is returning on Wednesday with the Arkansas Derby favorite. Bob doesn't travel much anymore since his heart problems but I would be surprised if he didn't show up Saturday(you would think Zayat would offer to give him a lift in his jet, wouldn't you?)

Jim, is Dana husband of 30 years. They basically run the BB day to day operations.
    edited April 2015
    Firing Line worked five in 59:20 (5/41) at SA.
    edited April 2015
    International Star breezed four in 49:00 (7/9) at CDT.

Itsaknockout breezed four in 49.06 (8/15) at PBD.

Keen Ice breezed five in 1.00:20 ( 4/31) at CD.

Materiality breezed four in :48.45 (4/15) at PBD.

Stanford breezed four in :48.45 (4/15) at PBD.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    4/11/15 American Pharoah 9 Furlongs handily in 1:48 and change at OP
    edited April 2015
    4/11/15 American Pharoah 9 Furlongs handily in 1:48 and change at OP

Can you say CANTER last 1/8th of a mile!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Can you say CANTER last 1/8th of a mile!

I get a kick out of these people who post on Bloodhorse, DRF, and Paulick, who say that Pharoah hasn't raced against anybody, or that his time in the Rebel was slow, or that he will face 19 others in the Ky Derby, and so on.

Fact is, Pharoah will only be racing against 4 or 5 others in the Ky Derby. The other 15 or 16 won't even be able to catch up in the first 1/4.
    edited April 2015
    I get a kick out of these people who post on Bloodhorse, DRF, and Paulick, who say that Pharoah hasn't raced against anybody, or that his time in the Rebel was slow, or that he will face 19 others in the Ky Derby, and so on.

Fact is, Pharoah will only be racing against 4 or 5 others in the Ky Derby. The other 15 or 16 won't even be able to catch up in the first 1/4.

JG, you know me pretty well and my motto is I don't bet odds I bet horses! Say you bet a horse at 15/1 that you think should be 5/1, he runs up the track. The other horse in the race that was 3/1 AIRS the field and then you take your ticket to the trash can. I just don't understand betting a horse because he's an overlay and isn't near the as good as the lower price horse. I loved Battle Midway on Saturday and in my report I stated the FAV was bogus and we didn't get 15-1 on the ML, but a nice 9-1 when he crossed the finish line. I suggest to play against AP at your own risk, if this colt wasn't ever hampered with an injury he would be so far ahead of the field it would be funny. He was working so good before the BC Juvy race, people we amazed at how he could work like that as a 2yo!! The biggest obstacle will be the PP draw! IMO opinion the best PREP race this year was when Firing Line passed up Dortmund in the Bob Lewis to take a length lead in the stretch over the SA Freeway and Dortmund pinned his ears back and nailed him at the wire. You can train that type of effort, that's within!! Dortmund is battled tested and doesn't need the lead as most think! I can see Firing Line setting the pace coming off that 6 week layoff, he will be raring to go that day.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    I think Dubai Sky gets in, sitting at #30 spot and that they'll be less than 20 starters on Derby day.
    In reference to American Pharoh, no other horse is passing the one mile marker as fast or as easy as he is.
    He's been hand rode in all the preps. Even Carpe Diem s easy win, J.V. hit him twice in the stretch.
    So was Dortmund. The only horse that I can see that can run with him will be the horse from Dubai.....
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Any info on the Oaks? Pref. Condo Commando
    edited April 2015
    cinfront wrote: »
    I think Dubai Sky gets in, sitting at #30 spot and that they'll be less than 20 starters on Derby day.
    In reference to American Pharoh, no other horse is passing the one mile marker as fast or as easy as he is.
    He's been hand rode in all the preps. Even Carpe Diem s easy win, J.V. hit him twice in the stretch.
    So was Dortmund. The only horse that I can see that can run with him will be the horse from Dubai.....

Dubai Sky off the trail. Two weeks ago!!!
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    who from here is going to churchill?
  • noble tunenoble tune Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    AP kinda reminds me of verrazano couple years back crushing weak fields, and why is Dortmund winning all the races AP's dad won?
    edited April 2015
    Frosted works, Upstart gallops strongly at Palm Meadows

Two of the leading candidates for this year's Kentucky Derby, FROSTED and UPSTART, had a very good morning at Palm Meadows on Thursday.

Frosted was the first of the pair on the track immediately after the renovation break, working five furlongs in 1:01.38 with regular exercise rider Rob Massey aboard. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin and his brother Neal made a last minute call at 6:30 a.m. to push the work up one day with rain in the forecast the next two mornings in south Florida.

Looking a picture of health, Frosted eased away from the pole, just shading 13 seconds for his opening quarter before settling into a nice comfortable stride, posting splits of 25.14 and 37.14 before coming home his final quarter in :24.24 while going as easy as can be, Massey never moving a muscle in the saddle. Frosted galloped out six furlongs in 1:14.66.

"We normally go a half-mile the first work back after a race but he's fit, he wasn't blowing at all after the Wood, so we decided to work five furlongs," said McLaughlin who was in New York on Thursday., "He's doing great. My brother said afterwards that he was happy, the rider was happy and the horse was happy. All systems are go."

McLaughlin said Frosted would have one more five furlong work, scheduled for next Friday, at Palm Meadows, before the Derby.

"At the moment that's the plan," said McLaughlin. "There's an outside chance I could move him to Churchill Downs and have his last work there, but that's very unlikely right now."

Upstart jogged past Frosted, whom he defeated in both the Holy Bull and Fountain of Youth, while his rival was in the midst of his work. Upstart, who missed a scheduled work of his own on Saturday due to a sinus infection, jogged once around the nine furlong oval accompanied by trainer Rick Violette's stable pony, before reversing direction and galloping a very energetic mile and three eighths under regular rider Vicky King, getting stronger the further he went.

"He looked like his old self this morning," said Violette. "I couldn't be happier with the way he went. We took blood work on him yesterday and all the reports came back excellent. His appetite is good, his temperature is normal, everything is moving in the right direction for him right now."

Violette said he might give Upstart one more day of galloping before his next work, although he said the way he went this morning, he could move that work up to Friday, if need be, due to the weather.
    edited April 2015
    who from here is going to churchill?

I'm out this year, but will be making my annual Belmont trek once again with JG in tow. My daughter is making her 1st Holy Communion that Saturday morning. But I will be back in Louisville next year!!
    edited April 2015
    American Pharoah won without being asked for his best, it’s impressive that he still managed to post the fastest final time in the Arkansas Derby since Sir Cherokee’s 1:48.39 clocking in 2003. American Pharoah’s final time of 1:48.52 was faster than such Arkansas Derby winners as Smarty Jones in 2004 (1:49.41), Afleet Alex in 2005 (1:48.80), Lawyer Ron in 2006 (1:51.38), Curlin in 2007 (1:50.09), Bodemeister in 2012 (1:48.71) and Danza in 2014 (1:49.68)
    edited April 2015
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Any info on the Oaks? Pref. Condo Commando

Condo Commando works toward Kentucky Oaks

CONDO COMMANDO, among the favorites for the $1 million Kentucky Oaks on May 1, worked four furlongs in 48.67 seconds Thursday morning over Aqueduct's main track. It was her first breeze since her 2 1-2-length victory in the Gazelle Stakes on April 4.

Under Gustavo Rodriguez, the assistant trainer to his brother Rudy, Condo Commando went in fractions of 12.57 seconds, a quarter in 24.92 and she got her final quarter in 23.75 seconds. Condo Commando galloped out five furlongs in 1:01.76 and pulled up six furlongs in 1:17.09.

Condo Commando did throw her head to the right and came into the stretch a few paths off the rail.

"We put a ring bit on her, maybe she didn't like that, we got to back to the regular bit," Gustavo Rodriguez said. "She breezed nice, she did everything on her own."

Rodriguez said Condo Commando's workout was moved up by a day due to the threat of rain on Friday. He said Condo Commando will likely van to Kentucky on Saturday and get in at least one work at Churchill Downs before the Oaks.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Wheeling her in doubles w All in the derby. Leaning El Kabier, Frosted n Firing Line
    edited April 2015
    Jockey Espinoza said, “No, not (any doubt American Pharoah can get 1 1/4 mile). He galloped out very strong in both races and in the last one, I was trying to pull him up and go easy with him, but he was pretty tough. He was full of himself and so the outrider helped me out. I have had all the confidence in him since the first time I rode him at Del Mar. The way he won that day, I just said ‘Wow, he’s an amazing horse.’ I’m more mature now (than I was on War Emblem in 2002). I’m not afraid to make quick decisions during races. I have more confidence now, and in my early years, I would think twice.... Post position is important for everybody.... We’ll just hope for the best.... Everyone scares me. Dortmund, Carpe Diem and a couple others. I see Dortmund every day, and he’s doing really good.”
    edited April 2015
    Jockey Stevens (Firing Line) said today, “This is the best group of 3-year-olds as a whole that I can remember, dating back to when I was a little kid. This will be my 21st or 22d Derby, but as far as depth goes, it’s there, with American Pharoah, Carpe Diem, Dortmund, Firing Line, Frosted -- even Far Right, El Kabeir and the colt that won the Lexington Saturday, Divining Rod. It’s going to be an interesting Derby, and I’m excited about it, not just for my horse, but to see so many other good ones. It’s fun to be a part of it.”
    edited April 2015
    Trainer Zito said of today's workout by Frammento (:51.20 under Sophie Doyle, first three furlongs in :38.60 -- Frammento is 23d on the Derby points leaderboard as of this post): “I just want to keep things easy. Judging by all the calls I am getting from (jockey) agents, I think we are going to get in. If, say, by next Saturday the 25th it doesn’t look like he will make it, we will go straight to the Preakness and then to the Belmont. He is a true distance horse. After the Blue Grass, Gary (Stevens) assured me this was a top horse. I put Sophie on him today because she reminds me a lot of Max (Maxine Correa), who works a lot of my horses. Juan (Bernardini) gets on him every morning and I just wanted to do a little something different today.”
    edited April 2015
    Upstart sharp in Palm Meadows drill

Any reservations trainer Rick Violette may have had regarding how his Kentucky Derby hopeful Upstart would be effected by the sinus infection he contracted over the weekend were erased in less than a minute, 59.47 seconds to be exact, the time it took the Florida Derby runner-up to work a half-mile and gallop out five furlongs Friday morning at Palm Meadows.

With regular exercise rider Vicki King aboard, Upstart broke off at the half-mile pole at a relaxed pace, completing his opening furlong in :12.03 then gradually picked up the pace without a hint of any urging from his rider, covering the final quarter in 23.66. Violette, via walkie-talkie, told King to "let him gallop out" once passing the wire and Upstart responded by shading :13 seconds for another eighth-mile into the turn, while at no time giving any indication he was travelling that fast.

"Wow," was Violette's initial reaction to the work back at the barn. "He scoped clean, he's cooling out great. We'll see how he comes out of it, but I kind of breezed a day early so I have an extra day to bounce out of this if it's taken any toll and I don't know that it has. He did this so easily, wouldn't pull up down the backstretch, and that was with order through the walkie-talkie to ease him up(after five furlongs). I'm not sure we could have done things any better. He's just a good horse and we try not to get in his way. He always fools you when you watch him work. This morning too. He looks like he's going in :50 and he goes in :47."

Violette, in reference to missing several days of training and a scheduled work last weekend due to the sinus infection said, "this morning he showed us we shouldn't be cancelling any travel plans."

Violette will allow Upstart to open gallop at a two minute lick during the week with one more scheduled work, likely to come either Saturday or Sunday, prior to shipping to Churchill Downs next Tuesday
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Upstart sharp in Palm Meadows drill

Any reservations trainer Rick Violette may have had regarding how his Kentucky Derby hopeful Upstart would be effected by the sinus infection he contracted over the weekend were erased in less than a minute, 59.47 seconds to be exact, the time it took the Florida Derby runner-up to work a half-mile and gallop out five furlongs Friday morning at Palm Meadows.

With regular exercise rider Vicki King aboard, Upstart broke off at the half-mile pole at a relaxed pace, completing his opening furlong in :12.03 then gradually picked up the pace without a hint of any urging from his rider, covering the final quarter in 23.66. Violette, via walkie-talkie, told King to "let him gallop out" once passing the wire and Upstart responded by shading :13 seconds for another eighth-mile into the turn, while at no time giving any indication he was travelling that fast.

"Wow," was Violette's initial reaction to the work back at the barn. "He scoped clean, he's cooling out great. We'll see how he comes out of it, but I kind of breezed a day early so I have an extra day to bounce out of this if it's taken any toll and I don't know that it has. He did this so easily, wouldn't pull up down the backstretch, and that was with order through the walkie-talkie to ease him up(after five furlongs). I'm not sure we could have done things any better. He's just a good horse and we try not to get in his way. He always fools you when you watch him work. This morning too. He looks like he's going in :50 and he goes in :47."

Violette, in reference to missing several days of training and a scheduled work last weekend due to the sinus infection said, "this morning he showed us we shouldn't be cancelling any travel plans."

Violette will allow Upstart to open gallop at a two minute lick during the week with one more scheduled work, likely to come either Saturday or Sunday, prior to shipping to Churchill Downs next Tuesday

Kenny,

Maybe I just missed this info, but when did the infection start? Was it in effect during his Florida Derby race? Or did this pop up several days later?
    edited April 2015
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Kenny,

Maybe I just missed this info, but when did the infection start? Was it in effect during his Florida Derby race? Or did this pop up several days later?

He spiked a fever on the 11th the day of his 1st work since the Fla Derby, Rick stated it was a sinus infection and he didn't think he would miss any amount of time. I guess he was correct as he galloped a few days and worked a hole in the wind today. This is a warrior of a horse.
    edited April 2015
    Tap sent out his runners at PBD this morning and the star of show Materiality 5/8 in 100.52 last 1/4 23.57 totally in hand with Stanford out in 113.91
    edited April 2015
    Itsaknockout 4F 48.17 asked late to match strides with well held Competitive Edge thru nice 23.09 final 1/4 out 3 back 101.49
    edited April 2015
    I just watched Danzig Moon's work, and he looks AWESOME and really worked well over the CH surface as well. Don't leave him off your tickets for Tri's and Supers!
  • SkyMaster7SkyMaster7 Banned
    edited April 2015
    I have noticed Danzig Moon picking up a lot of steam when I read various forums, so I know your not alone on being high on DM, but personally I just don't see it ...

The horse took 3 tries to break the Maiden against really ordinary looking fields and than got trounced in the Tampa Bay Derby with no excuses. Granted he than came back to run second in the Blue Grass, but it was a fairly well beaten second. DM was under urging and Carpe Diem was not being asked and DM was still not really making up any ground, and the only other noteworthy horse in the race was Ocho Ocho Oxho who just got done being drilled by Dortmund by 15 lengths.

I wish everybody good luck, but there just seems to be several other horses in the race with better credentials ....
    edited April 2015
    SkyMaster7 wrote: »
    I have noticed Danzig Moon picking up a lot of steam when I read various forums, so I know your not alone on being high on DM, but personally I just don't see it ...

The horse took 3 tries to break the Maiden against really ordinary looking fields and than got trounced in the Tampa Bay Derby with no excuses. Granted he than came back to run second in the Blue Grass, but it was a fairly well beaten second. DM was under urging and Carpe Diem was not being asked and DM was still not really making up any ground, and the only other noteworthy horse in the race was Ocho Ocho Oxho who just got done being drilled by Dortmund by 15 lengths.

I wish everybody good luck, but there just seems to be several other horses in the race with better credentials ....

I don't see him being in the realms of AP, CD, or Dort as a win contender. But he will be a part of my tris and super! He's still learning and will win a nice race down the road.
  • SkyMaster7SkyMaster7 Banned
    edited April 2015
    I don't see him being in the realms of AP, CD, or Dort as a win contender. But he will be a part of my tris and super! He's still learning and will win a nice race down the road.
    I agree with you Danzig Moon is a very nice horse and it wouldn't surprise me to see him take down a Grade 1 at some point in his career. I just don't think this years Kentucky Derby is going to be his day even when it comes to including him on tri and super tickets.

Although I also very much agree with you on what you said on the other thread that was talking about the head to head match ups that were listed by the Wynn sports book. I agree that DM is a solid bet to finish ahead of Stanford.

I see Standord flashing some early pace but then being cooked fairly early on and just throwing in the towel and fading BADLY and horses that fade in the derby usually really fade bad. DM on the other hand has the running style where he should keep grinding and clunk up and pass the fading cheap speed like Stanford fairly easily ...