My Top 3yr Olds for the Derby

cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
edited January 2017 in Horse Racing Forum
What's up guys?
I know it's early but I'd like to put out my choices as of now.

Nyquist, Awesome Banner, Zulu and Brody's Cause.

I'll love to see Awesome Banner on the stretch out. If he can can reserve that energy and speed, there's no catching him. He can definitely Sprint....

Who do you guys like ?

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    cinfront wrote: »
    What's up guys?
    I know it's early but I'd like to put out my choices as of now.

Nyquist, Awesome Banner, Zulu and Brody's Cause.

I'll love to see Awesome Banner on the stretch out. If he can can reserve that energy and speed, there's no catching him. He can definitely Sprint....

Who do you guys like ?

Mor spirit, Laoban.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    I really think if none of this crop stings off big consecutive wins in a row, we're looking at a 6-1 PTF for this year's Run For The Roses!!! I haven't seen anything from this crop AS OF NOW that screams out on my end. We should have a better gauge at the end of February.

Take Care...
    edited January 2016
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I really think if none of this crop stings off big consecutive wins in a row, we're looking at a 6-1 PTF for this year's Run For The Roses!!! I haven't seen anything from this crop AS OF NOW that screams out on my end. We should have a better gauge at the end of February.

Take Care...

Yeah too bad the field was 3/5 in the first pool. Wide open.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm thinking this will be the year that we break the APOLLO CURSE!

I just have a gut feeling that with all these unraced 2 year olds now getting good, that something will come forward? TAP has a shitload that are really expensive that are still unraced. The Boyz at Oaklawn think Synchrony will be a force in his next. In the Smarty Jones, his first around 2 turns, he was left at the gate and took alot of dirt and still came with a run late, and that was a mile! February will tell us much more!
    edited January 2016
    Hey what are you guys betting today?

I'm singling the Leopard.
    Betting the other Baffert in the maiden race.
    And Santiago on the triple 8.
    edited January 2016
    Sa 2nd--keying 4 over 2/3/5

OP
    3rd---5/6---5/6---3/11
    8th---ex bx 4/10/11 Moquett likes his 11 alot, but tough post
    9th---shitty arkie bred running for $68k--go figure? key 7 over 3/4/5

Brady over Manning!
    edited January 2016

OP
    3rd---5/6---5/6---3/11

Brady over Manning!

Yeah, all I wanna do is see Az win. Patriots will beat Denver but I hate
    Both.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Yeah, all I wanna do is see Az win. Patriots will beat Denver but I hate
    Both.

I just txt a co-worker the same thing!

R2: 4/3 Ex
    R6: P3 - 4/1,9/2,4,6

Good luck and enjoy the races and games today!
  • TurferGirlTurferGirl Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Drefong
    Path of David
    Brodys Cause
    Conquest Big E
    *Flexibility- need to see one more race.
    edited January 2016
    Talamo in today's first. Comical.

I go downstairs and tell him, "you stupid faggot, how does the 6 get inside you. What a shitty ride." He smiled and said "I don't know."

Smug piece of shit.
    edited January 2016
    Dirty, you must have put the fear of GOD into Talamo, cause he worked his ass off in the next race on the one from Ron Ellis. Sometimes I think that these jocks just get lazy, or they're not very smart? My biggest gripe over the last week or so is having one which I expect to "SPEED POP" the gate and they stumble and go to their knees, then spot the field 4 or 5 and then rush up into contention only to fold late from their efforts. These juiced horses just can't keep their balance out of the gate!
    edited January 2016
    Dirty, you must have put the fear of GOD into Talamo, cause he worked his ass off in the next race on the one from Ron Ellis. Sometimes I think that these jocks just get lazy, or they're not very smart? My biggest gripe over the last week or so is having one which I expect to "SPEED POP" the gate and they stumble and go to their knees, then spot the field 4 or 5 and then rush up into contention only to fold late from their efforts. These juiced horses just can't keep their balance out of the gate!

Lol. I told him before the race "literally just point this one in the right direction dipshit" and he lost his cool and shouts "why don't you ride the fucking horse"

I had to go down and tell him thanks after.
    edited January 2016

OP
    3rd---5/6---5/6---3/11

Brady over Manning!

Thanks for the moquett info. Going into the turn be looked like he was gonna win by 15. You had the tri, but I only fired win and exacta because TVG is giving me an extra 10%. Anybody else getting this?
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi TG, we'll be seeing Conquest Big E run this weekend against Mohaman.
    Who's undefeated in New York. Should be a good one....
    Good Luck.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Mohaymen is how it's spelled.
  • TurferGirlTurferGirl Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    @Cinfront,I'm going with Conquest Big E in The Bull,And Sunny Ridge in The Withers. I've had a run of slump (s) lately:cry.But with the Derby preps upon us,I can usually re-group:peace:.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Frankly, i would like Songbird right now, except that the Derby Points System doesn't award any points for filly races. She couldn't just enter last-minute with her graded earnings, like in the olds days.

I guess if she entered (and won) a big final prep like the SA Derby, she could go. You guys think that's any kind of legit possibility?
    edited January 2016
    Frankly, i would like Songbird right now, except that the Derby Points System doesn't award any points for filly races. She couldn't just enter last-minute with her graded earnings, like in the olds days.

I guess if she entered (and won) a big final prep like the SA Derby, she could go. You guys think that's any kind of legit possibility?

2 things:

1. I've said this before, but songbird looks like a 5yo mare. Has since summer at Del Mar...

2. She's not even Triple Crown nominated, which you would never skip at this point with an animal that talented unless you know 100% you're not going that path. Maybe Jerry knows she's done growing....
    edited January 2016
    2 things:

1. I've said this before, but songbird looks like a 5yo mare. Has since summer at Del Mar...

2. She's not even Triple Crown nominated, which you would never skip at this point with an animal that talented unless you know 100% you're not going that path. Maybe Jerry knows she's done growing....

Wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Well Mohaymen stamped himself on the top of mostly everyone's derby list with that jog yesterday..
    edited January 2016
    rayphil wrote: »
    Well Mohaymen stamped himself on the top of mostly everyone's derby list with that jog yesterday..

Yeah, that fucking filly looked monstrous too.

I'm rocking with Mor spirit and that other baffert who keeps running into second.... But I bet you there's a few nice horses still in the garage...
    edited February 2016

I'm rocking with Mor spirit and that other baffert who keeps running into second.... But I bet you there's a few nice horses still in the garage...

Hoffenheim "the other Baffert who keeps running second"
    edited February 2016
    Let's see what Nyquist has, but I kinda want Mario to fuck up the ride because I'm sitting on a stack of these:

Today, 12:01 PM
    P5 | Race 1 | Santa Anita# 1,2 / 1,4,5,8 / 2 / 2 / 1,4,5,6

I have an even bigger stack with Nyquist singled, but I'm guessing I have to beat him to get paid. I'll bet a couple bucks on the 3 to prevent me from committing suicide. Let's get lucky one more time. If I had to pick the winner outside Nyquist... I'm giving Denman a shot.
    edited February 2016
    Let's see what Nyquist has, but I kinda want Mario to fuck up the ride because I'm sitting on a stack of these:

Today, 12:01 PM
    P5 | Race 1 | Santa Anita# 1,2 / 1,4,5,8 / 2 / 2 / 1,4,5,6

I have an even bigger stack with Nyquist singled, but I'm guessing I have to beat him to get paid. I'll bet a couple bucks on the 3 to prevent me from committing suicide. Let's get lucky one more time. If I had to pick the winner outside Nyquist... I'm giving Denman a shot.

Glorified jog. Really nice animal. Picked a great comeback spot, too.
    edited February 2016
    Glorified jog. Really nice animal. Picked a great comeback spot, too.

I thought he looked much-improved today. Better than i've ever seen him. Might've had something to do with the turnback, but whatever. He looked great.

PS - I thought Denman's Call might've run second (or perhaps even challenged for the win?) with a better trip. One to watch, though not necessarily for the Derby (he's not bred to run long).
    edited February 2016

I heard a couple good Baffert tidbits today...

The Mor Spirit earplugs thing is bullshit, he's lazy and Gary got tired. Period. Baffert royally pissed.

Also, Baffert having serious American pharoah withdrawals. Subpar horses, not much left in the garage for the year end races, and considering sending all his decent 3yo (maybe even spirit) out of town for points. He really wants to be back.
    edited February 2016
    I thought he looked much-improved today. Better than i've ever seen him. Might've had something to do with the turnback, but whatever. He looked great.

PS - I thought Denman's Call might've run second (or perhaps even challenged for the win?) with a better trip. One to watch, though not necessarily for the Derby (he's not bred to run long).

Denman down the hill at anything over 2-1 is money in the bank.
    edited February 2016
    I think Baffert may have something in the European turf import Moonlight Drive (who is Triple Crown nominated, btw).

I think he'll likely be entered in a Derby prep next month; perhaps even the San Felipe if Mor Spirit pulls out. Maybe even the San Felipe regardless. I was thinking perhaps the Sunland Derby, but the equine herpes thing going on there makes that prety dicey, i think.

The other option would seem to be the Rebel. One of those three races, i would think. We shall see...
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Really good stuff guys!
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    I think Baffert may have something in the European turf import Moonlight Drive (who is Triple Crown nominated, btw).

That would reinforce what I heard about Moonlight Drive a month ago, relative to his training very well on dirt before that turf race he won last out.