2017 Kentucky Derby Futures

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    klimnt to sherman... because he's going to dubai.
    iliad to oniell because he can win a derby.

baffert is a piece of shit, good on kaleem. see now im all muslim pride.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2017
    edited January 2017
    Speaking of which, the winner from that race is another Baffert named American Anthem. That one actually went favored pretty strongly (8/5), with Iliad being the longer half of the entry (and running like it).

American Anthem has worked twice since that race, btw. I'm guessing he'll turn up pretty early @ Santa Anita. As for breeding, he's by Bodemeister out of an A.P. Indy mare.

American Anthem (and Gormley) have been entered Saturday in the 1-mile Sham Sakes.
    edited January 2017
    Gonna watch my boy Gormley romp. Or pull the Giacomo.
    edited January 2017
    American Anthem (and Gormley) have been entered Saturday in the 1-mile Sham Sakes.

Harrington says American Anthem is the real deal. Gormley working ok as well.
    edited January 2017
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Gonna watch my boy Gormley romp. Or pull the Giacomo.

My boy just ran a monster race.
    edited January 2017
    My boy just ran a monster race.

Both did. Too bad the track was sloppy though.

Btw, that Aristocratic that he's been working with was one of those Shah horses that got transferred. Probably will run well next out. Not bred for the Derby though (Speightstown on bottom side, I think).
    edited January 2017
    Are there any other decent Malibu Moon's out there?
    edited January 2017
    I'm too lazy to look it up, but Aristocratic has started already right?
    edited January 2017
    I'm too lazy to look it up, but Aristocratic has started already right?

Yes. He ran second to Blabimir (who was entered in the Sham yesterday).
    edited January 2017
    I think the field was shit, but Unique Bella certainly a derby type. She 's big and powerful. Hopefully the connex give her a shot. And thank god Rick porter doesn't own her.
    edited January 2017
    I think the field was shit, but Unique Bella certainly a derby type. She 's big and powerful. Hopefully the connex give her a shot. And thank god Rick porter doesn't own her.

I was thinking the exact same thing, even before today's race. Problem is, it's Hollenfdorfer, and if he didn't run Songbird last year, then it's probably foolish to expect him to run Unique Bella this year.

I agree it was more Rick Porter's decision than Hollendorfer's, and there's a different owner this year, but i'd still have to think Jerry had a lot to do with the decision. Besides, Songbird wasn't the first excellent 3yo filly he's trained (Pike Place Dancer, etc.), and i don't remember any of those ever being considered for the Derby.

One thing i'll definitely be doing though is looking for any kind of quote from Jerry or the owner that even suggests they might be willing to try this one in the Derby. Because she would clearly be Top 5 material right now.
    edited January 2017

Gormley has been dropped down to 20/1 @ Wynn. American Anthem also dropped to 30/1.

Each were previously 50/1, btw.
    edited January 2017
    I was thinking the exact same thing, even before today's race. Problem is, it's Hollenfdorfer, and if he didn't run Songbird last year, then it's probably foolish to expect him to run Unique Bella this year.

I agree it was more Rick Porter's decision than Hollendorfer's, and there's a different owner this year, but i'd still have to think Jerry had a lot to do with the decision. Besides, Songbird wasn't the first excellent 3yo filly he's trained (Pike Place Dancer, etc.), and i don't remember any of those ever being considered for the Derby.

One thing i'll definitely be doing though is looking for any kind of quote from Jerry or the owner that even suggests they might be willing to try this one in the Derby. Because she would clearly be Top 5 material right now.

Here's some post-race quotes from Hollendorfer. I also like that note down at the very bottom. I wonder if the owner being from Kentucky might affect his desire to run in the Derby?

JERRY HOLLENDORFER, UNIQUE BELLA, WINNER: “Well, I’ve always liked her. Today, she showed that she’s brilliant. We thought she’d jump out of there a little better. I thought she would be close to the lead. Mike used his judgement, got behind and then got to the outside so it worked out well and our other filly also got Grade II placed, so we’re very pleased right now.

“We’ll relax a little bit and see where we go next. We purposely waited this long with her and pointed towards this race. I don’t know if we’ve seen all there is to Unique Bella but I’ll ask Mike.”

NOTES: The winning owner, Don Alberto of Don Alberto Stable, resides in Lexington, KY.
    edited January 2017
    Couple things....

1. this site has a cool series https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/why-gormley-looks-strong-contender-santa-anita-derby/

2. harrington thinks bella will go in the SA derby. straight from horses mouth.
    edited January 2017
    Are there any other decent Malibu Moon's out there?

The answer was right in front of my face... Aristocratic is another reportedly decent Malibu Moon. Wish Baffert still had him, oneill not the worst though...
    edited January 2017
    Kaleem Shah getting a chance to watch that Baffert juice kick in and run right by him. Aquamarine nice, Arisotcratic may not have loved the going.
    edited January 2017
    Couple things....

1. this site has a cool series https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/why-gormley-looks-strong-contender-santa-anita-derby/

2. harrington thinks bella will go in the SA derby. straight from horses mouth.

That's funny, because i just read a quote from Hollendorfer say that his plan is the SA Oaks, followed by the Kentucky Oaks.

Incidentally, Unique Bella just got added to the Wynn sheet @ 150/1.
    edited January 2017
    Dabster is entered Monday, going two turns.
    edited January 2017
    That's funny, because i just read a quote from Hollendorfer say that his plan is the SA Oaks, followed by the Kentucky Oaks.

Incidentally, Unique Bella just got added to the Wynn sheet @ 150/1.

Well fuck what Andy's talking about then. She deserves that shot tho...
    edited January 2017
    Even if true, they still have a chance to change their minds. They were pretty straightforward about it last year with Songbird though.
    edited January 2017
    Add maiden winner Swinging Star to my Malibu moon list. Turf runner, but I got him!!!!!
    edited January 2017
    Dabster is entered Monday, going two turns.

Dabster won yesterday in a slow 138 and change. Track was likely still drying out from all the rain.
    edited January 2017
    Dabster won yesterday in a slow 138 and change. Track was likely still drying out from all the rain.

I kinda liked the Tapit to his inside... What's you think about that one DC?
    edited January 2017
    Reach The World. He's actually out out a Galileo mare. Could potentially get switched to turf.

Yeah, he's interesting for sure. I'm keeping an eye on him, but I wasn't overly enthused about how slow this race was (low-level claimers went 7 furlongs in 1:23 something, so track probably wasn't running THAT slow). He had kind of a tough trip on the rail behind horses, but Dabster drifted out (again) coming off the turn and Reach The World had every chance to get through if he was good enough. First time out so i'll cut him some slack. Late-starter in any case, though.
    edited January 2017
    Reach The World. He's actually out out a Galileo mare. Could potentially get switched to turf.

Yeah, he's interesting for sure. I'm keeping an eye on him, but I wasn't overly enthused about how slow this race was (low-level claimers went 7 furlongs in 1:23 something, so track probably wasn't running THAT slow). He had kind of a tough trip on the rail behind horses, but Dabster drifted out (again) coming off the turn and Reach The World had every chance to get through if he was good enough. First time out so i'll cut him some slack. Late-starter in any case, though.

I think the barn liked this one. Harrington said he was always second best to dabster. You're certainly right about the late start, but decent 2 turn debut.
    edited January 2017
    The 7th at Santa Anita has some runners. Who's the Miller horse working with DC?
    edited January 2017
    Might've worked with a Florida import named Venezuelan Gold, but i'm not 100% sure.

Race looked strong on paper as best as i could tell, but it's about as late as it gets for horses making their debuts to wind up in the Derby (let alone win it).

A couple of very sharp Pletcher horses (Battalion Runner and Malagacy) just broke their maidens @ Gulfstream a couple/few weeks ago. Both are pretty well-bred (particularly BR), though i heard Pletcher say that he "thinks Malagacy will get a mile", which of course doesn't sound too good when we're talking about 1 1/4 miles. He did say that (and i agree) that you never know until they do it, so who knows. He said he probably run BR in a stakes next (the Holy Bull on Feb 4, i'm guessing).
    edited January 2017
    Might've worked with a Florida import named Venezuelan Gold, but i'm not 100% sure.

Race looked strong on paper as best as i could tell, but it's about as late as it gets for horses making their debuts to wind up in the Derby (let alone win it).

A couple of very sharp Pletcher horses (Battalion Runner and Malagacy) just broke their maidens @ Gulfstream a couple/few weeks ago. Both are pretty well-bred (particularly BR), though i heard Pletcher say that he "thinks Malagacy will get a mile", which of course doesn't sound too good when we're talking about 1 1/4 miles. He did say that (and i agree) that you never know until they do it, so who knows. He said he probably run BR in a stakes next (the Holy Bull on Feb 4, i'm guessing).

Fuck a guy who needs 60 starters, knee deep mud, and Calvin to win a derby. But what do I know.
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, Pletcher is not necessarily a positive. But you know he gets good stock, and they'll be given every shot to get there (if they're good enough).