2017 Kentucky Derby Futures

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2017
    So Conflated really caught my eye when i did some research on him the other day. The times in his Californian win were very slow (and a glance at the times of the other races that day confirm that), but i can't really hold it against him. He was purposely taken back off the pace early, then was just sitting and waiting along the inside (and later behind a wall of horses) before he scooted out and then just ran down everyone in front of him (while finishing a shade under 6 for the final sixteenth, i think). I then read some quotes from Gutierrez and the assistant trainer (who went up to Golden Gate instead of O'Neill), and they both sounded pretty excited about him. Gutierrez also sounded very pleased with his previous effort (when he got DQ'd into first over Dabster). He showed the same kind of late burst in that race, btw. I think this guy is gonna stay pretty much under-the-radar because i think they're wheeling him back @ Golden Gate again, but he looks kinda legit to me. Seems like he'll appreciate more ground too, based on how well he's been finishing (though admittedly, he should have finished fast in the Californian considering how slow the early fractions were).

Incidentally, he had worked with the older stakes horse Ralis going into that race. Not something you see all the time with early-season 3yo's, so that's probably a good sign.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Are there any other decent Malibu Moon's out there?

Surprisingly, Aristocratic not named as nominee, but I've got like 12 horses with decent connex. 1 with connex i've never heard of. Gormley def. the big name.
    edited January 2017
    So Conflated really caught my eye when i did some research on him the other day. The times in his Californian win were very slow (and a glance at the times of the other races that day confirm that), but i can't really hold it against him. He was purposely taken back off the pace early, then was just sitting and waiting along the inside (and later behind a wall of horses) before he scooted out and then just ran down everyone in front of him (while finishing a shade under 6 for the final sixteenth, i think). I then read some quotes from Gutierrez and the assistant trainer (who went up to Golden Gate instead of O'Neill), and they both sounded pretty excited about him. Gutierrez also sounded very pleased with his previous effort (when he got DQ'd into first over Dabster). He showed the same kind of late burst in that race, btw. I think this guy is gonna stay pretty much under-the-radar because i think they're wheeling him back @ Golden Gate again, but he looks kinda legit to me. Seems like he'll appreciate more ground too, based on how well he's been finishing (though admittedly, he should have finished fast in the Californian considering how slow the early fractions were).

Incidentally, he had worked with the older stakes horse Ralis going into that race. Not something you see all the time with early-season 3yo's, so that's probably a good sign.

Any chance they try the Frank Conversation route?
    edited January 2017
    Funny you mention that. That's exactly what the assistant trainer said.
    edited January 2017
    A couple of very sharp Pletcher horses (Battalion Runner and Malagacy) just broke their maidens @ Gulfstream a couple/few weeks ago. Both are pretty well-bred (particularly BR), though i heard Pletcher say that he "thinks Malagacy will get a mile", which of course doesn't sound too good when we're talking about 1 1/4 miles. He did say that (and i agree) that you never know until they do it, so who knows. He said he probably run BR in a stakes next (the Holy Bull on Feb 4, i'm guessing).

Turned up in Pool 2 of the KDFW.
    edited January 2017
    Might've worked with a Florida import named Venezuelan Gold, but i'm not 100% sure.

http://www.drf.com/news/preview/venezuelan-gold-can-brighten-day-bettors
    edited January 2017
    Lol. I just saw him, and was like... Where do I remember that name from...
    edited January 2017
    The workmate ran second the other day, btw.
    edited January 2017
    The workmate ran second the other day, btw.

And was bet like a good thing if memory serves. I was actually on the winner, a really nice Hollendorfer, IMO.
    edited January 2017
    Funny you mention that. That's exactly what the assistant trainer said.

Frank turned out to be a nice animal.
    edited January 2017
    Lol. I just saw him, and was like... Where do I remember that name from...

Praise be with Allah, I've got a nice double to him.
    edited January 2017
    And was bet like a good thing if memory serves. I was actually on the winner, a really nice Hollendorfer, IMO.

Yeah, there's some buzz about that horse right now. Battle of Midway is his name. Reportedly might run back in the San Vicente.
    edited January 2017
    A couple of very sharp Pletcher horses (Battalion Runner and Malagacy) just broke their maidens @ Gulfstream a couple/few weeks ago. Both are pretty well-bred (particularly BR), though i heard Pletcher say that he "thinks Malagacy will get a mile", which of course doesn't sound too good when we're talking about 1 1/4 miles. He did say that (and i agree) that you never know until they do it, so who knows. He said he probably run BR in a stakes next (the Holy Bull on Feb 4, i'm guessing).

Looks like Battalion Runner has been entered in a 1 1/16th allowance next Friday. Thought he was headed to a stakes next, but I guess not.
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, there's some buzz about that horse right now. Battle of Midway is his name. Reportedly might run back in the San Vicente.

He's part of the team.
    edited January 2017
    Looks like Battalion Runner has been entered in a 1 1/16th allowance next Friday. Thought he was headed to a stakes next, but I guess not.

Also entered in this race is Painter's Rags, a two-turn maiden winner for Graham Motion who has worked h/u twice in a row with Irish War Cry.
    edited February 2017
    So Conflated drilled a best-of-68 bullet (46.80) at Santa Anita this morning.

Meanwhile, Canadian stakes winner King and his Court worked yesterday for trainer Mark Casse at his private training center. Derby prep upcoming?
    edited February 2017
    Reach The World. He's actually out out a Galileo mare. Could potentially get switched to turf.

Yeah, he's interesting for sure. I'm keeping an eye on him, but I wasn't overly enthused about how slow this race was (low-level claimers went 7 furlongs in 1:23 something, so track probably wasn't running THAT slow). He had kind of a tough trip on the rail behind horses, but Dabster drifted out (again) coming off the turn and Reach The World had every chance to get through if he was good enough. First time out so i'll cut him some slack. Late-starter in any case, though.

Reach the World goes in Race 1 today (half an hour before the Bob Lewis, so we'll get a nice time comparison there).
    edited February 2017

Battalion Runner came back to win an allowance race yesterday in 1:43 1/5. Onward and upward.
    edited February 2017
    Reach the World goes in Race 1 today (half an hour before the Bob Lewis, so we'll get a nice time comparison there).

Romped. Against so so horses. Probably still a better horse than El areeb.

I picked up Royal Mo. Irish war cry was listed. Bummer.
    edited February 2017

Romped.
    edited February 2017
    Oh I already posted this? Don't do drugs.
    edited February 2017
    Meanwhile, Canadian stakes winner King and his Court worked yesterday for trainer Mark Casse at his private training center. Derby prep upcoming?

KahC is entered in the Sam Davis Stakes on Saturday (vs. McCracken) :shrr:
    edited February 2017
    Tapwrit my pletcher derby horse.
    edited February 2017

Iliad won today's San Vicente Stakes :toast:
    edited February 2017
    Iliad won today's San Vicente Stakes :toast:

And he impressed. Good looking stride, and game all the way. Ghostzapper has 2 of the top 10 prospects IMO. McCracken the other zapper.

also, really I think Tapwrit will improve, he was green AF. Love having Tapwrit and Iliad in the ALL others.
    edited February 2017
    So Conflated drilled a best-of-68 bullet (46.80) at Santa Anita this morning.

According to Doug O'Neill, So Conflated is headed to Fair Grounds for the Risen Star.

Mo Town is also targeting that race.
    edited February 2017
    Does the late starting Pletcher that crushed a first condition last week have a shot? Looked athletic as fuck.

Thanks for the update DC. I'll take my So Conflated, Tapwrit, Iliad, and Dabster combo.
    edited February 2017
    You're referring to Malagacy. He's looked great in both starts, but both were sprints, and Pletcher seems very hesitant about running him two turns. Said just a couple of days ago that it'll "depend how he's training". Which has been fine (he recently worked h/u with Battalion Runner), and Pletcher did mention the Rebel. So perhaps he'll end up there.

In other Pletcher news, Faja is out until summer. No Derby for him.
    edited February 2017
    Oh that's right... He did sound sketchy about 2 turns. said "we know we got a nice sprinter"

Fuck it.., what's he know.
    edited February 2017
    He'll get his chance somewhere. Pretty interesting pedigree on that guy, too. His sire Shackleford won the Preakness, and he has Dehere on the bottom side (a name you don't see too often anymore). He was a 2yo champ, if i remember correctly.