2017 Kentucky Derby Futures

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Huge performance by the Pletcher colt One Liner in today's Southwest Stakes. Even more impressive when you consider it was his 2-turn debut.
  • SmartyCideSmartyCide Member
    edited February 2017
    Huge performance by the Pletcher colt One Liner in today's Southwest Stakes. Even more impressive when you consider it was his 2-turn debut.

I moved him from unranked to 9th in my power rankings. too much to pst all here you can see them on www.derbypowerrankings.com.

I think there is a drop off after 8 though. at least as of this moment. not to take anything away from One Liner though. Very impressive.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited February 2017

I just caught the replay and was impressed with how Pletcher had him ready. Still feel Tapwrit is ahead at this point.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited February 2017

I'm calling him a nag. Nothing in this field IMO. But visually looked really good doing it. i'll always have a soft spot for Into Mishchief, who we made such a big score on at Hollywood Park.

Welcome to the team, One Liner.
    edited February 2017
    One Liner ran a 102 bsf. Pretty nice fractions to go with a visually nice performance.

5/2 on the field looks better daily, shit, i doubt classic empire even makes the gate.
    edited February 2017
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I'm calling him a nag. Nothing in this field IMO. But visually looked really good doing it. i'll always have a soft spot for Into Mishchief, who we made such a big score on at Hollywood Park.

Welcome to the team, One Liner.

Interesting breeding, not just with Into Mischief, but also having Cherokee Run on the bottom side. Pedigree probably doesn't scream 1 1/4 miles, for whatever that's worth. I thought he finished extremely well though, so who knows. Sounded like Velazquez was pretty impressed with him after the race. He made a point of mentioning One Liner's competitiveness, which I had noticed myself. He definitely had his eyes on the prize. Still unbeaten, btw. Helluva two-turn debut.
    edited February 2017
    I'm about to cop some more all others pool 3. You'll get 5-10 horses at 5-1. It's an ok bet. Great bet at 7-1 or if you have pool 2 all.
    edited February 2017
    Amazing that So Conflated still isn't listed. I've got him Top 10, let alone Top 23.
    edited February 2017
    The Baffert decision is in:

American Anthem to Oaklawn for the Rebel, Mastery will stay home for the San Felipe.
    edited February 2017
    Ok, Iliad is a huge number right now. I think thats the value here? I'm seriously gonna get more ALL. Don't I already get a horse from today?

You'll be able to get better prices on IWC, Mckrak, and Mastery on Derby day.

FADE ALERT: The Unique Bella x Field exacta. Most overbet thing in races. Find something else. Maybe Abel Tasman.
    edited February 2017
    KY Derby Futures R3 $100.00 Win
    $100.00 - - Active

KY Derby Futures R3 $2.00 Exacta Box
    $40.00 - - Active

Just adding a little bit to our portfolio.
    edited February 2017
    Dabster, Reach the World, So Conflated, Unique Bella (if she crushes, she still might go SA Derby) the nag from today, plus like 5-9 more in the gate. Huge price @ 8-1 right now.
    edited February 2017
    KY Oaks Futures R1 $5.00 Exacta Box
    $10.00 - -

KY Oaks Futures R1 $20.00 Win
    $20.00 -

This is a waste of $, but I just need something other than the chalk. Abel Tasman FTW.
    edited February 2017
    i updated my power rankings at www.derbypowerrankings.com

Im liking Petrov at 70-1 in this future pool
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    SmartyCide wrote: »
    i updated my power rankings at www.derbypowerrankings.com

Im liking Petrov at 70-1 in this future pool

Again, nice work. I foresee this list changing often with all the contenders this year. I still want to see Tapwrit break your top ten. :)

Looking forward to American Anthem's next race and what he can show us. Gutsy run against Gormley in the Sham and I find it interesting he's shipping while Mastery stays home.
    edited February 2017
    Ok, Iliad is a huge number right now. I think thats the value here? I'm seriously gonna get more ALL. Don't I already get a horse from today?

FADE ALERT: The Unique Bella x Field exacta. Most overbet thing in races. Find something else. Maybe Abel Tasman.

Actually, it's Bella over Elate and Farrel that is a joke. $20 for $2. 3 months out. lol.
    edited February 2017
    shh10 wrote: »
    Again, nice work. I foresee this list changing often with all the contenders this year. I still want to see Tapwrit break your top ten. :)

Looking forward to American Anthem's next race and what he can show us. Gutsy run against Gormley in the Sham and I find it interesting he's shipping while Mastery stays home.

American Anthem's work yesterday was his first in almost 2 weeks. I wonder if him going to the Rebel is so that Baffert could give him a little more time. Some minor unreported setback, perhaps?
    edited February 2017
    Impressive performance by Girvin in the Risen Star. He got his final sixteenth in 6 1/5 (while completing a 1:43 flat, always a very solid time @ Fair Grounds). In fact, he went a full second faster than Farrell went in the Rachel Alexandra, and he also matched the time of older stakes horses in the Mineshaft. He also didn't have the greatest of trip, fwiw. He looked pretty herky-jerky in the stretch, but really appeared to turn it on late once he finally got straightened away (again, note the quick final sixteenth). Interesting breeding, too. Neither Tale of Ekati or Malibu Moon necessarily scream 1 1/4 miles, but if you look a little farther back, he has Sunday Silence on the top side and A.P. Indy on the bottom side
    edited March 2017

Abel Tasman one sickness away from being the favorite for the Oaks.
    edited March 2017
    I'm still mad about Arrogate futures, but we get $ in right at HRT. It's still a tough game.
    edited March 2017

These fucking gooks with the China Horse Club just gave Abel Tasman to Baffert. What a fucking score for me. Probably moves this big girl up a ton, if he doesn't cripple her.
    edited March 2017
    I'm still mad about Arrogate futures, but we get $ in right at HRT. It's still a tough game.

No kidding. Me too. We could've had him @ 75/1 last June.
    edited March 2017
    A couple of late-bloomers to keep an eye on:

Always Dreaming - Recent allowance winner for Pletcher who will run next in the Florida Derby. Very positive vibes coming out of the barn right now. Just outworked barnmate Theory, who happened to be the training partner of Malagacy as that one headed into his impressive Rebel win. Also note that Pletcher has apparently opted to ship Battalion Runner out of town, rather that run him in the Florida Derby vs. Always Dreaming (both need either a 1st or 2nd to gain enough Derby Points to get in). His top prospect One Liner is headed to the Wood Memorial, btw.

Bronze Age - This guy had done nothing before his last race, but suddenly jumped up with a huge front-running performance (over a sealed track) when winning a one-mile maiden race over the very highly-regarded West Coast, who has since come back to win. Runs this weekend in the Sunland Derby, where a win gets him into the Derby. Rates an interesting dark horse at long odds, if you consider that he's a rapidly-improving Baffert runner with a decent shot of getting into the starting gate.
  • noble tunenoble tune Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    yeah I think tap's hand is stronger than bafferts moving to the derby
    edited March 2017
    A couple of late-bloomers to keep an eye on:

Always Dreaming - Recent allowance winner for Pletcher who will run next in the Florida Derby. Very positive vibes coming out of the barn right now. Just outworked barnmate Theory, who happened to be the training partner of Malagacy as that one headed into his impressive Rebel win. Also note that Pletcher has apparently opted to ship Battalion Runner out of town, rather that run him in the Florida Derby vs. Always Dreaming (both need either a 1st or 2nd to gain enough Derby Points to get in). His top prospect One Liner is headed to the Wood Memorial, btw.

Bronze Age - This guy had done nothing before his last race, but suddenly jumped up with a huge front-running performance (over a sealed track) when winning a one-mile maiden race over the very highly-regarded West Coast, who has since come back to win. Runs this weekend in the Sunland Derby, where a win gets him into the Derby. Rates an interesting dark horse at long odds, if you consider that he's a rapidly-improving Baffert runner with a decent shot of getting into the starting gate.

I like both of these animals for obvious reasons. Bronze Age looked like a real runner, and the third horse in that race, Glacier, came back to win nicely on turf, and is a helluva good looking horse. Believe Pletcher really likes the other one you mentioned, or somebody at home, because he isn't going to Dubai for the DWC. I'm not sold on One Liner, but he'll take $$$ after he beats a bunch of NY nags. He's ALL OTHERS anyways.

Also agree that Pletcher is in a better spot for this Derby outwardly NOW, but Baffert mentioned being so deep early in the season, and I think he's bringing horses along more slowly, so he has depth as well. It should be noted, that he'll be there always with one horse, but won't run a bunch unless they all have a chance. Pletcher will let anything that qualifies run.
    edited March 2017
    Bronze Age is bred beautifully... now as far as One Liner, is it confirmed he is going to the Wood Memorial? All of a sudden the wood is shaping up like a nice race. El Areeb, Irish War Cry, Mo Town, Cloud Computing, and now maybe One Liner. Not a bad field. Good betting race.... Havent had a good field in the Wood Memorial in quite a while seems like.
    edited March 2017
    Add more nags to my squad. Alfredo Jaurez Jr. gonna win the motherfucking derby on Hence.
    edited March 2017
    Abel Tasman one sickness away from being the favorite for the Oaks.

Or a bucked shin. Unique Bella done. Abel Tasman FTW.
    edited March 2017
    Unique Bella went off @ even-money in the Kentucky Oaks Future Wager.

Abel Tasman was 23/1, btw.
    edited March 2017
    Reach The World. He's actually out out a Galileo mare. Could potentially get switched to turf.

Yeah, he's interesting for sure. I'm keeping an eye on him, but I wasn't overly enthused about how slow this race was (low-level claimers went 7 furlongs in 1:23 something, so track probably wasn't running THAT slow). He had kind of a tough trip on the rail behind horses, but Dabster drifted out (again) coming off the turn and Reach The World had every chance to get through if he was good enough. First time out so i'll cut him some slack. Late-starter in any case, though.

His work was pretty nice this AM.