Horses to Watch

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2016 in Horse Racing Forum
I think i'll make this a weekly feature, to be posted on Tuesdays. I'll keep everything in the same thread for convenience purposes. Please feel free to add your own horses-to-watch.

Street Hero (6/29 @ HOL, Race 9)

2yo firster from the obscure Myung Kwon Cho barn was listed at 12/1 on the morning line, but went off at 3/1, due at least partly to a couple of bullet workouts that were clear as day in the Racing Form. He veered in sharply at the break and bumped hard with the horse to his inside, and as a result was away very slowly. He was soon running last down the backstretch, but began making an eye-catching move into the turn while angled very wide. He veered in again while coming off the turn, but was angled outside again and really started moving well (a second time) after finally being straightened away. Clearly this horse has run, but he was green, and the incident at the gate (in conjunction with the lost ground around the turn) did him in. I would expect dramatic improvement next time out, particualrly if he's drawn toward the outside with an opportunity to race in the clear.

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    I have been told by someone close to the connections of this up and coming filly she is the real deal. She won Astoria Stakes and ran a second + faster than the boys in the Tremont, look for her back at The Spa and there main goal is Breeders Cup Juv for Fillies. Lock this one away in your horse vault.

FB
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2008
    Thanks FB. When doing some research on her race the other day, i found that her debut win compared pretty favorably (timewise) with the excellent sprint-filly Zada Belle, who ran on the same card.
    edited July 2008
    No problem DC, we can tag team this thread and run off with it like Euro weed runners.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited July 2008
    Any idea when he'll run again?
    edited July 2008
    My guess is he'll turn up @ Del Mar.
    edited July 2008
    Massone (6/29 @ Hol, Race 9)

Massone horse comes out of the same race with Steet Hero (listed above). This second-time starter for McAnally broke from the rail and was stalking the pace from along the inside while apparently having plenty of run. Tried to squeeze thru a small opening along the rail in upper stretch to challenge for the lead, but got completely shut boff and had to check badly, losing all chance and causing him to drop way back. Finished well-beaten due to the traffic incident, and figures to be somewhat overlooked next time out as a result. Worth an eyeball next time he's entered.
    edited July 2008
    Huge performance by the 2yo firster Heir to the Stone @ Belmont race today. He approached the track record for 5.5 furlongs, and as slow as the track has been running recently, that must've taken some doing (i'll look at the charts of today's card later this afternoon). Heir to the Stone is trained by Richard Violette, who had a ton of success with 2yo firsters last year, but i believe had yet to record a 2yo winner @ Belmont so far this year.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited July 2008
    Date: July 11, 2008
    Track: HOLLYWOOD PARK
    Distance: Five Furlongs
    Time: 1.02:80 Handily
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: All Weather Track

DP, you are probably already aware of this, but fyi...was this a good workout, not sure what the rank means.
    edited July 2008
    28/31 means the workout was timed 28th-fastest out of 31 horse who worked at the distance.

The slow time doesn't necessarily mean anything, particularly since it was his first workout since being raced. Most likely it was a simple maintainence move where he was just out to stretch his legs.
    edited July 2008
    These two are worth a wager next time out on the weeds at 6f or longer.

Sky Victor

Stathy
    edited July 2008
    Cribnote (7/3 @ BEL, Race 4)

Cribnote had worked heads-up from the gate twice in a row with Heir to the Stone (heads-up 4 times total, btw).

In Cribnote's debut, he was right up on the pace early before being checked extremely hard (and bounced off the rail a couple of times), immediately dropping back to last. Certainly a whole lot better than shown, and should offer a good price next time out due to his "non-competitive" effort. Definitely worth a look when he turns up again.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited July 2008
    thanks for the heads-up DC
  • cdunn1830cdunn1830 Member
    edited July 2008
    moderator should keep this current
    edited July 2008
    Two Brash (7/3 @ BEL, Race 4)

This Kimmel-trained colt is coming out of the same race as Cribnote (listed above). He was checked hard on the backstretch to lose ground, but incredibly was able to gather himself and move up strongly to take control of the race, posting a highly-impressive win. He was also flattered yesterday, when a work-partner named Break Water Edison scored a wire-to-wire win in Belmont's 4th race. Those two had worked heads-up together on June 6.
    edited July 2008
    Stardom Bound (7/20 @ DMR, Race 4)

I heard a rumor before this race that Stadfome Bound was "the best filly Paasch has ever had", which is saying quite a lot considering he trained the fine stakes filly Diplomat Lady. In the race, Stardom Bound broke slowly and was away last, and from the head-on it appears she hit the gate. Stardom Bound was roughly 15 lengths behind during the early going, and this race was only 5.5 furlongs. She suddenly kicked into gear however and was rallying widest of all around the turn, then poured it on in the stretch and was making up some big-time ground. Just lost by a nose at the wire, while vin the process beating a very highly-regarded Hollendorfer filly named Montana Fields (who went off as the 7/5 favorite). Stardom Bound should clearly improve from the experience, and won't be a maiden much longer. Stakes horse for certain.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited July 2008
    Street Hero and Massone running together 7/26 at Del Mar race #7
    edited July 2008
    Looks like a big day of racing tomorrow. Huge card @ Saratoga as well.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited July 2008
    Add Cribnote, running Sunday at Saratoga in race 2
    edited July 2008
    Thanks laker5, i hadn't seen that yet.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited July 2008
    No sweat, got my virtual stable workin'
    edited July 2008
    Street Hero (5/2) missed by a nose today after a rough trip. Was clearly best.

Massone (6/1) was closing fast to miss by about a half-length in the same race.
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    Cribnote Is Back Inn The Barn...won By 14...103-1
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited July 2008
    Turf, thanks to this thread I played and won with Cribnote today.

What do you mean he is back in the barn...103-1?

Thanks.
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    he has won his race...he is now back in his barn.....time of the race 103-1....1/5 off track
    mark......
    edited July 2008
    I must say, i was very disappointed with Cribnote's price. I passed the race, but it was fun to watch him win by 13 1/2 lengths...
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    Horse made a monster move around the turn. Shit blew right by them all nice looking horse
    edited July 2008
    Model (7/21 @ DMR, Race 2)

Drysdale filly seems improved on the main track if this race is any indication, She hopped badly at the start to be off several lengths last, then made gradual progress on the backstretch to come within a length of the lead along the inside. She was then checked hard in traffic and shuffled back to last again before moving to the outside and going widest of all around the turn. In spite of all this, she was able to rally strongly thru the lane and ran right past the loose frontrunner Renagade Ruby to win going away. Looks pretty tough vs. mid-level route fillys on the main track, and she appears to relish the Del Mar poly.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited August 2008
    Model running 8/2 at DMR race 9
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, i know. I was just looking at the race. There are some things to like here, though obviously it's an extremely tough spot for her.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited August 2008
    DC, did you see Model actually closing the gap on Zen near the wire? Nice call.