Horses to Watch

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2008
    Shoot, for a second there i thought Model was going to win. Huge run for second behind Zenyatta @ 30/1.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited August 2008
    Stardom Bound goes today at Del Mar in the 7th. Had her on my watch list--not sure why now and I don't see her mentioned previously in this thread.
    edited August 2008
    She is indeed mentioned in this thread, in fact i caught some grief on another site recently because i mentioned her here. The "rumor" about her being Paasch's best filly ever was reported on Dave Tuley's site, Viewfromvegas.com (though it was also touched on by TVG, and in the Racing Form. Apparently, TVG was quoting Paasch as saying she was "better than Diplomat Lady", while DRF (Brad Free specifically) suggested she was better than Cosmic Queen.

Here is what Brad Free wrote in his June 30 column on the site:

"As impressive as Cosmic Queen was in her debut, trainer Chris Paasch might have one better.Jockey Mike Smith did not believe it until he worked Stardom Bound. After the workout, Smith said to Paasch, "You might be right." Stardom Bound cut her left rear leg and scratched from race 8 Wednesday. The gray Tapit filly will be live when she runs opening week at Del Mar."
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    The way Stardom Bound has been running She just might be" Stardom Bound".
    edited August 2008
    Eissoai (7/27 @ DMR, Race 3)

Well-regarded South American import for Frankel appeared to be full of run coming into the stretch after trailing the field up to that point, and was seemingly being steered to the outside by Gomez in an attempt to circle the field. But she had her head cocked sideways (to an extreme) as she had for most of the race, and despite Gomez attempting to steer her outward she started veering in extremely badly (with her head still cocked), at one point running up behind another horse and nearly causing a spill. Lots of run here, but the horse appeared completely unmanageable, and in fact there was an incident after the race in which Gomez struck the horse after the wire. You can probably Google it and get the whole story. Not sure where this horse will turn up next, but she'll certainly have another rider, and that could make all the difference here. Blinkers (or some other type of equipment change) might make a big difference also. One to keep an eye on, for sure.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited August 2008
    thanks, will watch for her
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    She is running on Wednesday at the SPA, let's hope we can get 8/5 or a little better.

FB
    edited August 2008
    Reynaldothewizard (8/14 @ SAR, Race 9)

Harty 2yo (and former free play here) went favored in the Sartoga Special yesterday, and hopped badly at the break to be away slowly. I didn't think it was huge deal at the time because he figured to drop back off the pace anyway, but he ended up much farther off the pace than he should've been, and was lacking for running room during a majority of the race. He was even shifted way outside on the turn while looking for room, but ran into another horse there and was shifted back inside again. You can can see him weaving back and worth looking for room pretty much the entire stretch, and he was finally able to come running late to take third. Might be worth a look in the Hopeful (assuming he turns up there, as i would expect him to turn in a much better effort with a clean trip. Figures to meet some very tough horses though, such as Heir to the Stone or Cribnote or Munnings or perhaps all three. I believe yesterday's winner Run Away and Hide is pointing for the Breeders Futurity @ Keeneland, which is two turns. Harty may decide that Reynaldothewizard is better off going two turns himself; it will be interesting to see where he turns up.
    edited August 2008
    I have been told this is one of Larry's best 2 yo, this one broke in the air and still won by 6 1/2 lengths at Delware on Monday. Keep an eye on this one as he will be training at Fairhill for the Breeders Cup Juvy.

FB
    edited August 2008
    Good info FB, thanks.

Btw, Eissoai is entered on Thursday (Race 7 @ DMR), with Gomez back aboard. Incredible! Blinkers on, of course.
    edited August 2008
    Cribnote (7/3 @ BEL, Race 4)

Cribnote had worked heads-up from the gate twice in a row with Heir to the Stone (heads-up 4 times total, btw).

In Cribnote's debut, he was right up on the pace early before being checked extremely hard (and bounced off the rail a couple of times), immediately dropping back to last. Certainly a whole lot better than shown, and should offer a good price next time out due to his "non-competitive" effort. Definitely worth a look when he turns up again.

Just now looking over the Hopeful Stakes, and it seems our horse-to-watch Cribnote has a big chance in here. Might offer some value too, as the Pletcher colt Munnings figures to take a ton of action.
    edited September 2008
    I'm not really one for complaining when i lose, but we got freaking robbed here. No doubt that Cribnote was best, at odds of 5/1 no less. Brutal way to end the meet.

Regarding whose fault it was, i haven't read any of the post-race comments yet, but i can say with certainty that it wasn't the jockey's fault. You could see that Maragh was having a lot of trouble with Cribnote just as they started moving into the turn, and my guess would be that Cribnote had some kind of equipment problem that caused him to bear out badly. It's possible he did it on his own, but something like a bit problem or a rein/bridle problem seems more likely, i think. I'll be interested to see what Maragh had to say immediately after the race.

Btw, i was mentioning to a friend today after watching the race that it reminded me very much of an incident with a Kimmel filly around 10 years ago, named Fabulously Fast. I had bet her in her debut, where she immediately took the lead and was about 3 lengths in front approaching the turn, appearing to be an easy winner by every indication. But instead of rounding the turn, she completely blew it (even worse than Cribnote), leaving her way out by the outer rail where the track was all deep and clumpy (Cribnote narrowly avoided that part of the track today, i think). Same as Cribnote, she ended up running second, but the key point there was that ON PAPER it appeared as if Fabulously Fast had simply gotten tired and coughed up a big lead. You would never know what happened unless you saw the race, because there was no mention of it in her past performances. So what happened was, Kimmel jumped her directly into a stakes for her second start, and she went off @ 18/1 (if memory serves). One of the best bets i've ever had. Unfortunately, she ended up running second by a neck to some Lukas filly who was the even-money favorite. Could've been a really nice score. Fabulously Fast went on to win the Grade 1 Test Stakes the following year, btw.

The difference here of course is that the Fabulously Fast incident happened in some run-of-the-mill maiden race, whereas the Cribnote incident happened in the Grade 1 Hopeful. So it's not going to go unnoticed. The other thing is, due to the time of year, Cribnote will likely race around two turns next time out, which of course might negate his obvious sprinting ability. Impossible to say right now.
    edited September 2008
    Horse-to-watch Stardom Bound won the Grade 1 Del Mar Debutante yesterday.

I'm sorry to say i wasn't on her, as i went with Saucey Evening instead. Ugh.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Horse-to-watch Stardom Bound won the Grade 1 Del Mar Debutante yesterday.

I'm sorry to say i wasn't on her, as i went with Saucey Evening instead. Ugh.

I was also between these two and opted for Saucey Evening. Stardom Bound looked damn good blowing Saucey (and every1 else) out of the water.
    edited September 2008
    Nice run by another horse-to-watch (Street Hero) in the Del Mar Futurity today. Unfortunately, he had to settle for a close third, beaten about a neck.

Safe to say he's the best 0-for-4 maiden in the country, LOL.
    edited September 2008
    Royal Taat (8/29 @ DMR, Race 2)

New Zealand import from the John Sadler/Doubledown Stable combo made her American debut in a 5-furlong turf sprint that really wasn't conducive to her running style. As you may know, the short Del Mar turf sprints are dominated by speed-types, and Royal Taat dropped straight to the back and was trailing the leaders by 7-8 lengths down the backstretch. She was still far behind when turning for home, lugging in a bit (and late changing leads) coming off the sharp turn. However, she was then shifted out by Gomez, changed leads, and took off like a rocket down the straightaway, clearly moving best of all and wound up missing by just a length or so at the wire.

As you may know, Sadler has had a great deal of success with these New Zealand/Doubledown horses, winning multiple stakes with Crossing the Line and Black Mamba. It appears that Royal Taat has a good bit of talent as well, and should do quite well for herself when running over the downhill course @ Santa Anita (which is much kinder to late-runners). Definitely one to keep an eye on.
    edited September 2008

Eissoai (7/27 @ DMR, Race 3)

Well-regarded South American import for Frankel appeared to be full of run coming into the stretch after trailing the field up to that point, and was seemingly being steered to the outside by Gomez in an attempt to circle the field. But she had her head cocked sideways (to an extreme) as she had for most of the race, and despite Gomez attempting to steer her outward she started veering in extremely badly (with her head still cocked), at one point running up behind another horse and nearly causing a spill. Lots of run here, but the horse appeared completely unmanageable, and in fact there was an incident after the race in which Gomez struck the horse after the wire. You can probably Google it and get the whole story. Not sure where this horse will turn up next, but she'll certainly have another rider, and that could make all the difference here. Blinkers (or some other type of equipment change) might make a big difference also. One to keep an eye on, for sure.

Eissoai is entered today, switching to the main track for whatever reason. According to the Racing Form, she's been fitted with an inside-cup blinker and a new, special bit in order to prevent a repeat of her prior antics. And Gomez is back aboard. I do like her, but she's 2/1 ml and she'll probably go much lower than that. We'll see.
    edited September 2008
    Eissoai wins @ $4.60, but is clearly still having some major issues right now. She lugged in badly once again while taking command of the race into the stretch, and was fortunate that there were no other horses around her at the time. Loads of talent, but not the kind you can really trust right now. Even the great Lit De Justice didn't pull this kind of stuff, and he was as crazy as they come.
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Lit De Justice was fun to watch, when he made his move he would really come flying.
    edited September 2008
    Our original horse-to-watch Street Hero broke his maiden in the Grade 1 Norfolk Stakes today, paying $14.20 to win.

I have to be honest though, i went in a different direction and bet Midshipman to win. That one did run second however, resulting in a nice exacta that paid better than 24/1. Pretty much the only good news i've had lately, as my picks have been running ice-colt of late.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    that was a very good race yesterday and now street hero will get plenty of action in the breeders cup now and I was hoping midshipman would win but he just needs to be a little closer because he is just a horse that plots away. Discreet Cat i have to say i was hysterical lady won but you were right Zenyatta should run against the boys because she is just an absolute freak. She has my total respect now.
    edited September 2008
    Zenyatta is simply phenomenal. I actually tried to bet her to win the Distaff today @ 8/5, but the odds had been lowered to 6/5, so i passed. It's not worth sweatng the injury factor for a month, when she may not be much lower on raceday. Possible she goes off as low as 3/5, but i would tend to doubt it with Music Note (among others) also lining up for the race.

Personally, i do think Shirreffs should run her in the Classic. It won't happen, but it should. She's quite possibly the best horse on the planet right now, male or female. And you'd have to think the extra distance would be a plus.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    DC did you hear any reasoning both Azul Leon and Regal Ransom not firing? Azul Leon just didn't have that closing kick he showed in his last two (atleast he ran straight this time though). Regal never showed anything after that very impressive maiden/key race.
    edited September 2008
    I haven't heard a thing. No telling with Regal Ransom, but he certainly wasn't the first Eastern horse to ship to California and run poorly. Throw in the fact that it was his two-turn debut, and it's not entirely surprising. I doubt synthetic was a factor, but who knows.

Azul Leon, i dunno. One thing i DID notice was that he seemed to be dead on the board. Despite being the morning-line favorite for the race, i believe he opened @ 10/1. Regal Ransom opened @ 7/5, for all that was worth. Probably doesn't mean a whole lot, but just something that caught my eye.
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Zenyatta is simply phenomenal. I actually tried to bet her to win the Distaff today @ 8/5, but the odds had been lowered to 6/5, so i passed. It's not worth sweatng the injury factor for a month, when she may not be much lower on raceday. Possible she goes off as low as 3/5, but i would tend to doubt it with Music Note (among others) also lining up for the race.

Personally, i do think Shirreffs should run her in the Classic. It won't happen, but it should. She's quite possibly the best horse on the planet right now, male or female. And you'd have to think the extra distance would be a plus.

I'm afraid that good showing by Tiago may keep that from happening.
    edited October 2008
    Royal Taat (8/29 @ DMR, Race 2)

New Zealand import from the John Sadler/Doubledown Stable combo made her American debut in a 5-furlong turf sprint that really wasn't conducive to her running style. As you may know, the short Del Mar turf sprints are dominated by speed-types, and Royal Taat dropped straight to the back and was trailing the leaders by 7-8 lengths down the backstretch. She was still far behind when turning for home, lugging in a bit (and late changing leads) coming off the sharp turn. However, she was then shifted out by Gomez, changed leads, and took off like a rocket down the straightaway, clearly moving best of all and wound up missing by just a length or so at the wire.

As you may know, Sadler has had a great deal of success with these New Zealand/Doubledown horses, winning multiple stakes with Crossing the Line and Black Mamba. It appears that Royal Taat has a good bit of talent as well, and should do quite well for herself when running over the downhill course @ Santa Anita (which is much kinder to late-runners). Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Royal Taat won impressively on the downhill course today, paying $7.00 to win.
  • hotbustophotbustop Member
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for this one. I put it in my stable alert and cashed!
    edited November 2008
    I was struck by the performance of Hello Broadway in the Nashua today. The half-brother to Nobiz Like Shobiz was bottled up in traffic most of the way and had no room to run, then finally got out for some room around midstretch and was able to kick it in pretty well despite having already lost all chance (as Break Water Edison had opened an insurmountable lead). He was closing the gap noticeably and was only beaten a couple of lengths at the wire. Looks like he may appreciate some added distance, and Tagg has had some success with Derby-types, winning with Funny Cide some years ago and running a surprising third with Tale of Ekati this year. Interesting prospect here.
    edited November 2008
    I was struck by the performance of Hello Broadway in the Nashua today. The half-brother to Nobiz Like Shobiz was bottled up in traffic most of the way and had no room to run, then finally got out for some room around midstretch and was able to kick it in pretty well despite having already lost all chance (as Break Water Edison had opened an insurmountable lead). He was closing the gap noticeably and was only beaten a couple of lengths at the wire. Looks like he may appreciate some added distance, and Tagg has had some success with Derby-types, winning with Funny Cide some years ago and running a surprising third with Tale of Ekati this year. Interesting prospect here.

Cat totally agree with you on this one, look for him next out and will be a graded winner soon.

FB
    edited November 2008
    I was @ the Wynn today, and according to the Derby sheet they had Hello Broadway listed @ 75/1. That was actually BEFORE Sunday's race however, as the sheet was dated 10/30. He's probably lower now, but who the hell knows. I didn't even bother to ask....even @ 75/1 he's still too short. At least at this point in time.