Horses to Watch

Comments

• emcmanusemcmanus Member
    edited May 2009
    Trnr - O'Neill having a good meet, Nakatani always solid....
  • emcmanusemcmanus Member
    edited May 2009
    Hol R9 today of course...going against Black Mamba and Diamond Diva....other than those two, Modification is right there....
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Starlarks!!!!! It's about freaking time...

No kidding. I had a large win wager too, thought she lost the photo at first and i had no place money. Its about time this horse made me my money back and then some :thumbup:
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited May 2009
    Nice Hit!!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    I thought she lost the head-bob also. Then they showed the replay, and i wasn't really sure, so mi was just crossing my fingers. So nice to see that #1 go up on the toteboard!!!

Starlarks paid $11.00 for the win.
    edited May 2009
    Emcmanus, i'm sorry but i didn't see your post until just now (same goes for Husker, i somehow missed his inquiry when i posted about Kanan Dume's entry last night).

As for Modification, i looked at her very briefly due to her close finish vs. Life is Sweet a few starts back, but there's absolutely no way i could've endorsed her in this stellar turf field. Very, very tough race loaded with top-class runners.
  • husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Discreet Cat--any horses you see to watch out for????
    edited June 2009
    Pacific Halo was entered last week, but was on the AE list and couldn't draw in. I thought he'd be entered back in a few days, but he hasn't been.

Noble Court had a pretty rough trip (while still winning) the other day, and so did Rush With Thunder (second in the same race). Regarding the latter, he showed exemplary form @ Del Mar a couple of years ago, so you might be able to upgrade him even a little bit further should he turn up next there. He did look much better over the unwatered Del Mar surface of 2007 than he did last year, but then again he wasn't as sharp last year as he is right now.
    edited June 2009
    Discreet cat--I see Pacific Halo by the condition book is running fri-@ hollywood in race #5---in the 1 slot...still a go????....any others coming up..I'll post some from Prairie meadows today---
    edited June 2009
    Pacific Halo is gonna be a tough call, because he disappeared after his last start with some the of injury (I would assume). He also hasn't been entered back as quick as I would've liked after being scratched a couple of weeks ago (though technically it wasn't a real scratch, because he was on the AE list). Worth noting however that the horse who beat him two back (My King) has now won two in a row, and of course Pacific Halo was much the best himself last time. Would expect him to hold an edge in just about any maiden-claming sprint that he enters, with his health being the key issue.
    edited June 2009
    Pacific Halo (2/26 @ SA, Race 8)

Maiden-claimer for Periban was under a tight hold just off the lead while covered up in traffic, clearly full of run but simply had nowhere to go as he turned into the lane with a wall of horses fanned out in front of him. He attempted to swing out for room, but found only a tiny opening, and was tried to force his way through by leaning on the horse to his outside. He wasn't able to make it through, lost some momentum with the bumping incident and ended up getting steadied after that. Finally found a tiny bity of room late and was able to close the gap despite never being able to extend his stride, and ended up just a length or so behind at the wire. Cleary was much the best in here, and figures very tough vs. any kind of similar group next time.

Pacific Halo returns tonight in Race 5.
    edited June 2009
    Hiya Silver (5/2 @ HOL, Race 6)

Speedy maiden was coming off a couple of good downhill races vs. Figeac, and moving back the the main track here. When last seen racing over the Hollywood cushion, he ran a very strong second behind the still-undefeated superstar Rail Trip. Anything resembling that race figured to be good enough here, but unfortunately Hiya Silver reared at the break and was away several lengths last (whereas he probably would've been on the lead otherwise). He gathered himself well though, and started making good progress up the backside until moving out for some room around the turn and losing even more ground while going about 4-wide. Just kept grinding away, and wasn't beaten by more than a couple of lengths at the wire. Clearly was much the best here, and likely would've won with a clean break. Tab for next time.

Hiya Silver wins again @ $10.20
    edited June 2009
    Discreet---It's Tuesday....any horses to watch for???
    I have a few--today @ colonial..race 1--#11-Chancellery is on my list...Richards horse #4-Alkinoos @ Prairie Meadows runs today in the 8 th race....also on my list and Native Ruler of chris richards that runs this saturday @ prairie meadows---big derby festival...friday..saturday
    edited July 2009
    Gallant Gent (7/3 @ HOL, Race 3)

2yo firster got body-slammed leaving the gate, knocked inward and taken up by the rider to wind up dead-last early, then started making a very sharp middle move about halfway up the backstretch to start coming after the leaders. Was taken up by the rider a SECOND time when trying to swing to the outside from behind a wall of horses on the turn, coming widest of all into the lane and still 7-8 lengths behind in this short 5.5-furlong affair. Really turned it on again big-time once straightened away, and came roaring down the stretch to just get up by a head at the wire. So much the best here it wasn't even funny. Granted, it was a very poor maiden-claiming field, but this horse has stakes-type ability and figures to be moving right up the ladder. Very nice prospect.
    edited July 2009
    Not Macho Any More (7/16 @ BEL, Race 2)

Violette trainee appeared to have outworked the very impressive recent winner Bulls and Bears heading into that July 2 race, but was scratched after drawing the 9-hole. Alan Garcia had been named to ride both horses that day, so obviously Violette had intended to scratch one of them regardless. Anyway, Not Macho Any More broke a bit slowly today and found himself several lengths off the early lead, but moved up smartly approaching the turn and made the lead in upper stretch after challenging 4-wide. Went on to a nice win here and it looked like he was being geared down late. Time wasn't real flashy, but again he was off slowly and we'll have to see later how fast the track was running today. Looks like one to watch.
    edited July 2009
    Pacific Halo (2/26 @ SA, Race 8)

Maiden-claimer for Periban was under a tight hold just off the lead while covered up in traffic, clearly full of run but simply had nowhere to go as he turned into the lane with a wall of horses fanned out in front of him. He attempted to swing out for room, but found only a tiny opening, and was tried to force his way through by leaning on the horse to his outside. He wasn't able to make it through, lost some momentum with the bumping incident and ended up getting steadied after that. Finally found a tiny bity of room late and was able to close the gap despite never being able to extend his stride, and ended up just a length or so behind at the wire. Cleary was much the best in here, and figures very tough vs. any kind of similar group next time.

Well, it took him 3 races, but Pacific Halo finally got it done today @ $7.80, showing a nice profit over the 3-race compilation. Similar to Starlarks in that regard.
    edited July 2009
    Samardo (7/25 @ DMR, Race 7)

2yo firster for John Sadler broke from the rail here and was off a bit slowly, then had to steady slightly a few jumps out of the gate and ended up trailing the field early, some 10 lengths behind the pace. Was gathering momentum approaching the turn but came widest of all into the stretch to lose some ground, then started pouring it on big-time to pass about half the field before lugging in pretty badly and having to be shifted out again by the rider. That being said, he took off like a rocket again when straightened away and was cutting into the lead dramatically nearing the wire to end up missing by less than a length. Reminded me a lot of the debut performance by Stardom Bound last year. Stakes type for sure.
  • SobrenaturSobrenatur Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    Marcello ran in the same race,had a quick turn of foot around the far turn,,ducked inside and was full of run... i wouldnt be surprise to see him on the turf..Tiny Woods ran ok.Could be a key race..
    edited July 2009
    Gallant Gent (7/3 @ HOL, Race 3)

2yo firster got body-slammed leaving the gate, knocked inward and taken up by the rider to wind up dead-last early, then started making a very sharp middle move about halfway up the backstretch to start coming after the leaders. Was taken up by the rider a SECOND time when trying to swing to the outside from behind a wall of horses on the turn, coming widest of all into the lane and still 7-8 lengths behind in this short 5.5-furlong affair. Really turned it on again big-time once straightened away, and came roaring down the stretch to just get up by a head at the wire. So much the best here it wasn't even funny. Granted, it was a very poor maiden-claiming field, but this horse has stakes-type ability and figures to be moving right up the ladder. Very nice prospect.

Heads up.
    edited July 2009
    Gallant Gent wins @ $4.00
    edited July 2009
    DC go watch the replay of the Sanford Stakes.........Watch Bulls and Bears ,,spot the field 7 lengths Garcia lost his irons...then watch as he starts to make his bid,,,he luggs in badly and lost another three laenghts ...then he finally straightens out and lost the race a half a length..and he galloped well after the wire..this field will never beat this horse again...by the way i had him first time out..please watch the race i want to read your input
    edited July 2009
    Bulls and Bears (7/30 @ SAR, Race 9)

Pretty much agree, as i stated in Mike's thread earlier today. I didn't see the jockey losing the irons, but here's what i did see. Bulls and Bears got shut off at the start, then suddenly veered outward extremely badly, which contributed greatly to the ground that he lost early (watch the head-on replay). Despite this, he made up a lot of ground while off-camera down the backside, coming very wide into the stretch but still in with what looked to be a legitimate chance to win. Appeared ready to challenge in mid-stretch, but then ducked in badly while apparently shying away from the whip, right back into traffic again. Then had to come outside again, and was gaining slightly again at the wire to only miss by about a length or so. Without even counting the stretch incident (which obviously hurt him), he almost ceratinly would've won the race with a clean start. The ground the lost at the break just completely overwhelms his losing margin at the wire, and of course he lost some additional ground while coming very wide into the stretch as well. Still think this one is a very nice prospect.
    edited July 2009
    DC i ask what are reasonable odds to accept on this or any horse thats always getting in trouble.
    edited July 2009
    That would depend on the competition, of course. But i think it's way to early to categorize this horse as trouble-prone. It's true he's had problems in both career starts this far, but the first time it was way out of his control (and he managed to overcome it regardless). I would have no problem backing Bulls and Bears vs. a similar field next time out, even a bit lower than the 3/1 price he went off at yesterday. The potential problem (as i see it) is the plethora of young talent that alwayus emerges @ Saratoga. I mean, there's no way of telling who he might be facing next time out in a race like the Saratoga Special or the Hopeful (particularly the latter). We'll just have to play it by ear.
    edited August 2009
    Not Macho Any More (7/16 @ BEL, Race 2)

Violette trainee appeared to have outworked the very impressive recent winner Bulls and Bears heading into that July 2 race, but was scratched after drawing the 9-hole. Alan Garcia had been named to ride both horses that day, so obviously Violette had intended to scratch one of them regardless. Anyway, Not Macho Any More broke a bit slowly today and found himself several lengths off the early lead, but moved up smartly approaching the turn and made the lead in upper stretch after challenging 4-wide. Went on to a nice win here and it looked like he was being geared down late. Time wasn't real flashy, but again he was off slowly and we'll have to see later how fast the track was running today. Looks like one to watch.

Just ran across this short piece in the Daily Racing Form, which seems to jibe with what i write here. Keep an eye on this colt:

VIOLETTE HOPES FOR MORE JUVENILE SUCCESS

After the first 2-year-old he ran this year was beaten nearly 20 lengths, trainer Rick Violette thought to himself, "This could be an ugly summer." But in the last four weeks, Violette's belief that he has a solid group of 2-year-olds has proven correct.

Violette closed the Belmont meet with three victories in juvenile races, and all of them figure to run back in stakes at this meet. It starts Thursday in the Grade 2 Sanford with Bulls and Bears, who is coming off a neck victory in a maiden race. Bulls and Bears showed professionalism beyond his experience, and Violette thinks he will improve off the race.

"He had shown talent, but he wasn't necessarily the sharpest knife in the drawer," Violette said. "And he's a different horse when he's with other horses. He'll gallop around like a pony and then you put him with horses he becomes a man."

As much as he likes Bulls and Bears, Violette thinks Not Macho Any More could be better. Not Macho Any More won his debut by 5 1/2 lengths on July 16, running five furlongs in 59.08 seconds. He is being pointed to the Saratoga Special on Aug. 20.

Last week, Violette got lucky when a turf race was rained off to the main track and Worstcasescenario won the race by 5 3/4 lengths. By getting that race in, Violette can now target the Grade 2 Adirondack on Aug. 19.

Violette believes he has a few more maidens who could prosper at Saratoga, led by the filly Capital Adequacy, who could be ready for the middle or end of the meet.

Meanwhile, Violette hasn't given up on Quantitativeeasing, the filly who was beaten 19 1/2 lengths in her debut, or Chairman Now, a Tiznow colt who ran fifth after breaking slowly
    edited August 2009

Violette believes he has a few more maidens who could prosper at Saratoga, led by the filly Capital Adequacy, who could be ready for the middle or end of the meet.

Heads up.
    edited August 2009
    DC shes in a tough field..worth a shot as Cablelink will be overbet
    edited August 2009
    Encore Saritta (8/7 @ SAR, Race 7)

2yo firster for Dallas Stewart had worked the fastest furlong at the February Ocala Sale (9.3), and quickly rushed up to engage the 6/5 favorite Flower Exchange here through a blazingh opening quarter of 21.75. She had already gone clear of that one by the time they hit the turn, and she hit the half-mile in 45.35 while extending her lead into the stretch. Very fast, and just tons the best here. What makes this really noteworthy however is that she totally spaced out around midstretch, racing very erratically and then actually hitting the rail and getting her hind end knocked out from under her (clearly visible on t he head-on replay). Ended up finishing the race in a slow 59.17 (with a snail-like 13.82 final furlong), and saw her winning margin shrink to just a length or so at the wire. So on paper, it will appear that she ran out to a big lead, then tired badly and almost got beat. Nothing could be further from the truth. Should be some definite value on this filly when she turns up in stakes company next time out.
    edited August 2009
    Samardo (7/25 @ DMR, Race 7)

2yo firster for John Sadler broke from the rail here and was off a bit slowly, then had to steady slightly a few jumps out of the gate and ended up trailing the field early, some 10 lengths behind the pace. Was gathering momentum approaching the turn but came widest of all into the stretch to lose some ground, then started pouring it on big-time to pass about half the field before lugging in pretty badly and having to be shifted out again by the rider. That being said, he took off like a rocket again when straightened away and was cutting into the lead dramatically nearing the wire to end up missing by less than a length. Reminded me a lot of the debut performance by Stardom Bound last year. Stakes type for sure.

Just read that Samardo will make his next start in the Del Mar Futurity. Wow.
  • laffingeyslaffingeys Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    Gallant Gent wins @ $4.00

Noticed that this one is entered again today - Del Mar R2.
    Got up well over 5 1/2F last time ... Runs over 6F today.

Not yet had a close look to see who this one is up against ... won't get a chance to take a look at the rest of the field until a short while before the race starts.