Horses to Watch

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Starlarks (2/25 @ SA, Race 7)

European import for Gallagher was staliing the pace from close up along the inside while noticeably rank in the early going, and maintained a striking position into the stretch while appearing to have some run left, but just got buried behind horses as a hole never really opened up for her. She was getting shuffled back thru the lane and even had to check slightly at one point. Her effort seems much better-than-looked, and as mentioned she also seemed a little too fresh down the backside, so hopefully the race took some edge off and she'll be set for a top effort next time out.

Starlarks is entered tomorrow, Race 4 @ Santa Anita. Down the hill, as hoped.
    edited March 2009
    Correction, make that Race 5.
    edited April 2009
    Worth noting that Starlarks is entered back today. She ran into even more traffic last time than she had in the debut, and could improve dramatically with a clear run.
  • edited April 2009
    Horse In Race 7...........
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    DC or Gambler, could you verify that Starlarks is the #6 horse?
    Im at work, so only had phone access to equibase to check. Don't see any matching trainers or owners in the race either, just wanted to verify.

My 3 wagers of the day:
    SA R1-WP #2 Pluginthejug
    SA R5-Win #7 Jen's New Chapter
    SA R7-Win #6 Starlarks
  • edited April 2009
    flyinlate..................yes he is the # 6 horse in race 7 at santaanita.............dont no if your going in the infield on oaks or derby day but i was reading churchill web site and they are allowing fans to bring in coolers loaded with beer/food this year.......
    edited April 2009
    GAMBLER911 wrote: »
    flyinlate..................yes he is the # 6 horse in race 7 at santaanita.............dont no if your going in the infield on oaks or derby day but i was reading churchill web site and they are allowing fans to bring in coolers loaded with beer/food this year.......

Yes I will in fact be in the infield. Last year they allowed food to be brought in. Is it really true they are allowing alcohol in this year? That would save me about $200 off my trip :laughing:

P.S. Thanks for verifying the entry. Do you have a link for the news about alcohol allowed in?
  • edited April 2009
    Flyinlate...............sorry Pal I Just Went Back To Churchill Web Site Your Right No Alcoholic Bevareges Allowed In Coolers..........nothing With Glass Allowed In Either In Coolers......sorry Better Hit A Early Exacta Or Double To Cover The Beer Money....thats Why I Go To Vegas Sit In The A/c Free Alcohol You Cant Beat It..lol.lol...
    edited April 2009
    GAMBLER911 wrote: »
    Flyinlate...............sorry Pal I Just Went Back To Churchill Web Site Your Right No Alcoholic Bevareges Allowed In Coolers..........nothing With Glass Allowed In Either In Coolers......sorry Better Hit A Early Exacta Or Double To Cover The Beer Money....thats Why I Go To Vegas Sit In The A/c Free Alcohol You Cant Beat It..lol.lol...

:laugh: It's ok, I have a plan. Last year some lady taught us her trick. She sneaks mini shooter bottles inside her sandwiches and plastic wraps the crap out of them. Should cover a couple drinks for myself. Then its back to $10 mint juleps :toast:
    edited April 2009
    Worth noting that Starlarks is entered back today. She ran into even more traffic last time than she had in the debut, and could improve dramatically with a clear run.

Wow I swear this horse is a jinx. Another awful trip/ride.
    edited April 2009
    I was just about to post the same thing. How the hell do they manage to get her into so much traffic trouble??? You'd think he did it on purpose this time. She did come flying late for third after she FINALLY got into the clear, but by then the race was long over. I don't know what to think anymore. Hard to keep backing her if she's going to be ridden this way; i can only hope for a new jockey next time.
    edited May 2009
    Hiya Silver (5/2 @ HOL, Race 6)

Speedy maiden was coming off a couple of good downhill races vs. Figeac, and moving back the the main track here. When last seen racing over the Hollywood cushion, he ran a very strong second behind the still-undefeated superstar Rail Trip. Anything resembling that race figured to be good enough here, but unfortunately Hiya Silver reared at the break and was away several lengths last (whereas he probably would've been on the lead otherwise). He gathered himself well though, and started making good progress up the backside until moving out for some room around the turn and losing even more ground while going about 4-wide. Just kept grinding away, and wasn't beaten by more than a couple of lengths at the wire. Clearly was much the best here, and likely would've won with a clean break. Tab for next time.
    edited May 2009

Speedy maiden was coming off a couple of good downhill races vs. Figeac, and moving back the the main track here. When last seen racing over the Hollywood cushion, he ran a very strong second behind the still-undefeated superstar Rail Trip. Anything resembling that race figured to be good enough here, but unfortunately Hiya Silver reared at the break and was away several lengths last (whereas he probably would've been on the lead otherwise). He gathered himself well though, and started making good progress up the backside until moving out for some room around the turn and losing even more ground while going about 4-wide. Just kept grinding away, and wasn't beaten by more than a couple of lengths at the wire. Clearly was much the best here, and likely would've won with a clean break. Tab for next time.

What is the official horse #? I can't check at work.
  • dodgers45dodgers45 Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Horse is not listed as running today
    edited May 2009
    He ran on 5/2, as stated.
    edited May 2009
    He ran on 5/2, as stated.

:idoit: Thought he was running today with a morning line of 5/2
    I'll add him in my stable, thx dc
    edited May 2009
    Kanan Dume (4/24 @ HOL, Race 8)

Big, talented colt for Mandella returned from a very lengthy layoff last month and showed high speed from the gate, dueling with the Onetimeatbandcamp down the backstretch before somehow becoming unmanageable approaching the turn, and then bolting on the turn, taking himself about 7-wide while costing hgimself 4 or 5 lengths. Looked like he had lost all chance, but managed to gather himself and came roaring right back through the stretch run, missing by less than a length at the wire. Little doubt he would've won the race if he hadn't blown the turn. Simply a sensational effort from a horse coming back off a 20-month layoff. He's returned worked three times since that race, capped off by a solid 1:12 3/5 drill on Wednesday. Should be entered shortly, and worth a look when he is.
    edited May 2009

Heads up.
    edited May 2009
    Hiya Silver wins @ $4.60
    edited May 2009
    Karona Kid (5/13 @ CD, Race 6)

2yo firster for Asmussen had been working in company with Hot Dixie Chick, who ran a strong second to Decelerator the following day (5/14). Karona Kid broke okay and was right up on the heels of the leaders early, but checked hard and dropped back quickly as a result of that incident, losing no less than 5 lengths in the process. Gathered himself thereafter and started making a sharp move to close ground again, but started faltering in the stretch as he was simply out of gas from everything that had happened. Clearly has more talent than will appear in his past performance line the next time he's entered, and should offer some value as a result.
    edited May 2009
    Karona Kid (5/13 @ CD, Race 6)

2yo firster for Asmussen had been working in company with Hot Dixie Chick, who ran a strong second to Decelerator the following day (5/14). Karona Kid broke okay and was right up on the heels of the leaders early, but checked hard and dropped back quickly as a result of that incident, losing no less than 5 lengths in the process. Gathered himself thereafter and started making a sharp move to close ground again, but started faltering in the stretch as he was simply out of gas from everything that had happened. Clearly has more talent than will appear in his past performance line the next time he's entered, and should offer some value as a result.

Slight typo there, it's actually Korona Kid. Here's a video of the race, btw. Koronoa Kid is #3.

YouTube - CHURCHILL DOWNS, 2009-05-13, Race 6
    edited May 2009
    Pacific Halo (2/26 @ SA, Race 8)

Maiden-claimer for Periban was under a tight hold just off the lead while covered up in traffic, clearly full of run but simply had nowhere to go as he turned into the lane with a wall of horses fanned out in front of him. He attempted to swing out for room, but found only a tiny opening, and was tried to force his way through by leaning on the horse to his outside. He wasn't able to make it through, lost some momentum with the bumping incident and ended up getting steadied after that. Finally found a tiny bity of room late and was able to close the gap despite never being able to extend his stride, and ended up just a length or so behind at the wire. Cleary was much the best in here, and figures very tough vs. any kind of similar group next time.

Pacific Halo is entered @ Hollywood tomorrow. He actually went on the shelf for a while following his last race though, so i'm not quite sure what to expect. May have been injured somehow. Definitely worth a look though.
    edited May 2009
    Pacific Halo is entered @ Hollywood tomorrow. He actually went on the shelf for a while following his last race though, so i'm not quite sure what to expect. May have been injured somehow. Definitely worth a look though.

Heads up DC. Skylarks is entered Saturday. Seems Solis is still aboard after those two terrible rides. Maybe he won't mess up this time?
    edited May 2009
    Pacific Halo is scratched...
  • husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    I see KANAN DUME is running tomorrow(sat--30 th) @ hollywood R 4--any thoughts and I see STARLARKS is in R7
    edited May 2009
    Kanan Dume (4/24 @ HOL, Race 8)

Big, talented colt for Mandella returned from a very lengthy layoff last month and showed high speed from the gate, dueling with the Onetimeatbandcamp down the backstretch before somehow becoming unmanageable approaching the turn, and then bolting on the turn, taking himself about 7-wide while costing hgimself 4 or 5 lengths. Looked like he had lost all chance, but managed to gather himself and came roaring right back through the stretch run, missing by less than a length at the wire. Little doubt he would've won the race if he hadn't blown the turn. Simply a sensational effort from a horse coming back off a 20-month layoff. He's returned worked three times since that race, capped off by a solid 1:12 3/5 drill on Wednesday. Should be entered shortly, and worth a look when he is.

Kanan Dume is entered today.
    edited May 2009
    Kanan Dume looked like he started fighting the jockey again as they approached the turn, trying to get out for some reason. It actually looked to me like Espinoza intentionally let the horse to his outside draw alongside into the turn, to prevent Kanan Dume from bolting again. Even then however, he still looked to be having some trouble. No real excuse in the stretch, as he was still pretty much on even terms after straightening away, and of horse he had fired big-time down the straightaway last time. Only difference was that he happened to be on the rail this time, down inside of horses, and last time he was way outside by himself. Not really sure what to think here. Obviously the horse is capable of better, but evidentally he has some kind of mental issue.
    edited May 2009
    Starlarks goes in about 1 minute. Note Solis has gotten off the even-money favorite to stay on her.
    edited May 2009
    Starlarks!!!!! It's about freaking time...
  • emcmanusemcmanus Member
    edited May 2009
    DC, as a longshot, what do you think about Modification at Hollywood? Two last runs unlucky, good works