Horses to Watch

Comments

• jenroypajenroypa Senior Member
    edited October 2009
    cross entered in juvy turf..
    edited October 2009
    Im sure you know this, but Brady Blue Eyes goes tomorrow(Sat) in 7th at SA...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, i saw that. I was rather disappointed in his last race though. Had a clear lead into the lane and then coughed it up. Blinkers back off though, and original rider Talamo back aboard (Talamo had gotten off Brady Blue Eyes to ride the winner last time). Looks like he turned in an improved workout since last raced, also. Could be ready to bounce back here.
    edited October 2009
    Brady Blue Eyes went off @ 9/2, and ran second behind the 8/5 favorite (a well-bet Baffert firster) for an an exacta that paid almost 14/1.
    edited October 2009
    really. wow- missed it bkz of those darn trick or treaters.. hope you got some. Guess I will pull up the replay to see if still worth keeping track of.
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah, he ran well. Unfortunately, he stumbled pretty badly leaving the gate, which cost him some early position. Not sure if it cost him the race (I rather doubt it), but it's debatable. Safe to assume he won't be 9/2 next time.
    edited November 2009
    Thx. What did you think of Wispering Hush's performance? When I saw she was 3rd in ML I was kind of hoping she would stay close to ML. When they banged her to even money with 10mp, I walked away knowing I had her singled in the pick 4. Was kicking myself when she floated up to 5-2.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    jenroypa wrote: »
    Thx. What did you think of Wispering Hush's performance? When I saw she was 3rd in ML I was kind of hoping she would stay close to ML. When they banged her to even money with 10mp, I walked away knowing I had her singled in the pick 4. Was kicking myself when she floated up to 5-2.

lol I did the exact same thing.
    When I saw the ML after finishing so closely to Camille C and other good horses I thought the price was a gift from God. However, just like you I saw even money, backed up, used her in a Pick 3 which I didnt end up cashing, and got awful angry when I saw her go off at 5-2 :idoit:
    edited November 2009
    Not sure if you guys noticed, but Gallant Gent has been entered in the Breeders Cup Juvenile.

Gallant Gent is enter in the Breeder's Cup Juvenile Turf now.
    What do you think of his chances there?
    Have you heard anything about how he's been getting over the turf?
    He looks like an awful juicy play at those large odds of (30-1).
    edited November 2009
    Haven't gotten to the Juvenile Turf just yet, but obviously i'll be a taking a hard look @ Gallant Gent at that kind of price. The fact that he's 30/1 here after running competitively vs. the 8/5 Juvenile favorite pretty much defies explanation. But so did his price in the Norfolk. He just gets no respect, it seems.
    edited November 2009
    Let's get our friend home today, guys. The price should be out-of-this-world, and we all know that he's capable.
    edited November 2009
    This comes straight from my website. He's entered today but i don't know if he's running; all Belmont races are off the turf. Scratches haven't been announced yet.

Belmont - Race 9

#3 Mr. Vegas (12/1 ml)

I must be seeing things with this morning line. Simply unreal. Yet another case of Beyers not telling the whole story. I honestly haven't seen many debuts better than this one. The trouble started as soon as the gates opened, as he was broke VERY slowy, then he was being steadied repeatedly while in tight as he tried to make his way through the crowd on his way up the backstretch (having already made up the lost early ground to regain touch with the pack). Never did get any room to run, at all, though you could see that Prado clearly had a ton of horse under him as he helplessly waited for an opening. I already knew the horse had won the race when i was watching this replay for the first time, and i sat here in front of my computer at the top of the stretch wondering just how in the hell he did it (didn't seem possible at the time). Finally around midstretch a small hole opened, and Prado shifted this guy pretty sharply out into the open thru another pretty tight spot, and then you could really appreciate this horse as he took off like a shot after the leaders. Still looked to be in pretty bad shape in deep stretch but he basically just put his head down and bulled his way right thru the two leaders like they were just a minor inconvenience. Reminded my of Lit De Justice a bit, and that's saying something. I know i'm being effusive in my praise here, but like i said, i was very excited by what i saw. Just looked like a man among boys out there. Speaking of which, he's a pretty big horse with what looked to be a very large stride, though he never really got to show it off too much. Didn't look like today's extra distance will be any kind of problem for him, quite the contrary in fact. Pretty tough stretchout here from 5.5 furlongs to 1 1/16 miles, especially considering the class jump, but i'm confident he's the best horse in the race, and like i said i think he may be even better going long. And anything resembling a clean trip won't hurt him either. Lastly, the turf course was listed as "good" when he ran, so i would have to assume the course had some water in it, though the opening quarter looks awfully fast to have been run on any kind of soft ground. It would seem to help his case here, as there's no doubt the course will be a little soft here (perhaps a lot soft), assuming they keep the race on the grass at all. Tempted to call this play turf-only, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't going to back him on whatever surface he runs on today. Besides, if the race comes off the grass and Hushion thinks it's a problem, he'll likely be scratched anyway (UPDATE: just checked on the Belmont website and the race is indeed off the grass. No word on scratches yet). Hope they get the race into this guy because i think he may be the Juvenile Turf winner. Perhaps even the Juvenile winner, who knows. Obviously, i HIGHLY recommend watching the replay. He broke from the 2-hole but he's wearing saddlecloth #1. Have a look, and enjoy.

Mr. Vegas ran poorly over a boggy surface @ Belmont last time, but rebounded in a big way @ Aqueduct today, paying $19.20 to win!
    edited November 2009
    Go figure-Mr Vegas and Brady Blue Eyes both win on same day..BBE pd 24.60.
    edited November 2009
    I'm embarrased to say that i didn't bet Brady Blue Eyes today. I just thought Make Music For Me would be too tough. First time i don't bet the horse, and he wins @ 11/1. Just an awful feeling.
    edited November 2009
    I'm embarrased to say that i didn't bet Brady Blue Eyes today. I just thought Make Music For Me would be too tough. First time i don't bet the horse, and he wins @ 11/1. Just an awful feeling.

Atleast you weren't alone. I laid out heavy Exacta's for 4 w/ 2,6 and Heavy Tri's with 4 w/ 2,6 w/ All.
    Needless to say it came in 6-2.

What happened to MMFM? Was it just that bad of a ride? Even after he got blocked inside I thought he'd eventually shake free and atleast make a move to finish itm. Do you think Smith just chalked it up as a loss after he couldn;'t get out and didn't want to exert any effort from him?
    edited November 2009
    MMFM was in some traffic, but it looked to me like he just didn't fire. Hard to say why. Frankly, i expected better from him in the Breeders Futurity as well.
    edited December 2009
    Chicago Gal (12/3, Race 4 @ HOL)

First-time starter for Gallagher was actually entered in a MCL $50k last week, but scratched out, quite possibly because connections were fearful of a claim. She was entered back in a non-claiming event here, and was also stepping up to face males, indicating a good bit of confidence from Gallagher. Broke a tad slowly and was racing mid-pack behinda run-off leader, but then started moving extremely well up the rail approaching the turn before getting shut off and having to steady. Luckily though, the leader drifted way off the rail turning for home and she was able to re-rally intro the lead, but she had some trouble (a lot of trouble, really) changing leads, and was unable to hold off the two favorites. If she has gotten through unimpeded the first time, it might have beena different story. Definitely tab back for next time.
    edited December 2009
    Afleet Express (12/5 @ AQU, Race 2)

2yo colt by Afleet Alex was completely shut off at the start and checked hard, dropping way back towards the rear early. Remained out of the camera view all the way down the backside, but came circling wide into the lane and ran right past the entire field down the stretch run, even being taken in hand late. Looks like an up-and-comer, for sure.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    A sweet ride by Johnny V. a 1:12/2 over a muddy track. He's definitely a horse to watch.
    edited December 2009
    Brady Blue Eyes has been entered in the CashCall Futurity...
    edited December 2009
    Here's some info on an unraced Tale of the Cat colt named Inverness Cape. He worked heads-up three straight times (including twice from the gate) with Concorde Point, who came out of those drills to win his debut in 1:15 flat on opening day @ Santa Anita. So keep Inverness Cape in mind whenever he's entered. The bad news is, he hasn't recorded a workout since Dec 5th, which happens to be the last of those three drills with Concorde Point. Looks like he injured himself, or perhaps got sick.
    edited January 2010
    Some good Gulfstream info. I had a very nice winner on Sunday named Tahitian Warrior, a first-time starter for Danny Miller who went wire-to-wire in Race 9 and paid $16.60 to win. The reason i mention this is that Tahitian Warrior had worked heads-up with another horse named Savemyspotimbeting 3 straight times heading into that race. So obviously, that one will deserve a very hard look when he turns up, perhaps as early as this coming weekend (he is not entered at least thru Friday). And as with the winner on Sunday, the price should be very nice due to the low-profile connections.
    edited January 2010
    Chicago Gal (12/3, Race 4 @ HOL)

First-time starter for Gallagher was actually entered in a MCL $50k last week, but scratched out, quite possibly because connections were fearful of a claim. She was entered back in a non-claiming event here, and was also stepping up to face males, indicating a good bit of confidence from Gallagher. Broke a tad slowly and was racing mid-pack behind a run-off leader, but then started moving extremely well up the rail approaching the turn before getting shut off and having to steady. Luckily though, the leader drifted way off the rail turning for home and she was able to re-rally into the lead, but she had some trouble (a lot of trouble, really) changing leads, and was unable to hold off the two favorites. If she has gotten through unimpeded the first time, it might have been a different story. Definitely tab back for next time.

Chicago Gal is entered in Race 1 @ Santa Anita today. Unfortunately, she's listed @ 4/5 on the morning line.
    edited January 2010
    Chicago Gal ran second. Same problem as last timer, she broke slow and then couldn't change leads through the stretch run.
    edited January 2010
    Mr. Vegas is entered in a turf stakes @ Gulfstream on Saturday.
    edited January 2010
    Brady Blue Eyes just won down the hill.
    edited January 2010
    Some good Gulfstream info. I had a very nice winner on Sunday named Tahitian Warrior, a first-time starter for Danny Miller who went wire-to-wire in Race 9 and paid $16.60 to win. The reason i mention this is that Tahitian Warrior had worked heads-up with another horse named Savemyspotimbeting 3 straight times heading into that race. So obviously, that one will deserve a very hard look when he turns up, perhaps as early as this coming weekend (he is not entered at least thru Friday). And as with the winner on Sunday, the price should be very nice due to the low-profile connections.

Savemyspotimbeting blew out 3 furlongs this morning. Looks like he'll probably be entered this weekend.
    edited January 2010

Savemyspotimbeting won today by open lengths. :toast:
    edited January 2010
    Bulls and Bears (7/30 @ SAR, Race 9)

Pretty much agree, as i stated in Mike's thread earlier today. I didn't see the jockey losing the irons, but here's what i did see. Bulls and Bears got shut off at the start, then suddenly veered outward extremely badly, which contributed greatly to the ground that he lost early (watch the head-on replay). Despite this, he made up a lot of ground while off-camera down the backside, coming very wide into the stretch but still in with what looked to be a legitimate chance to win. Appeared ready to challenge in mid-stretch, but then ducked in badly while apparently shying away from the whip, right back into traffic again. Then had to come outside again, and was gaining slightly again at the wire to only miss by about a length or so. Without even counting the stretch incident (which obviously hurt him), he almost ceratinly would've won the race with a clean start. The ground the lost at the break just completely overwhelms his losing margin at the wire, and of course he lost some additional ground while coming very wide into the stretch as well. Still think this one is a very nice prospect.

from DRF:

Violette also reported that Bulls and Bears, perhaps his most promising 2-year-old last summer, is back breezing again, although it will still be a while before he hits the entries again. Bulls and Bears was an impressive maiden winner at first asking but has not started since finishing fifth following a poor start and extremely unlucky trip in the Grade 2 Sanford on July 30.

"He got real sick on me and the bottom just fell out," said Violette. "I had to give him six weeks off after Saratoga. We're still a ways away with him right now."
    edited January 2010
    Chicago Gal ran second. Same problem as last timer, she broke slow and then couldn't change leads through the stretch run.

Just got a notice Chicago Girl running down the hill Friday 2nd at SA.. Solis aboard- which doesnt thrill me. Wonder if they addressed the start

Also Afleet Express Saturday at GP.