Horses to Watch

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2011
    LOL. That's what i'm talking about. Looks like he went heads-up with Holiday Flare. That one was last seen running third in a maiden race @ Calder. Worth noting he broke from the 10-hole going five furlongs.
    edited January 2011
    Trippi's Charm and R King of the Road have both been entered in a state-bred race on Thursday, with Velazquez named on both (meaning one will definitely scratch). Seeing as how R King of the Road was entered-and-scratched under identical circumstances once before, it wouldn't shock me if Trippi's Charm is the one that gets scratched this time. We'll see...
    edited January 2011
    LOL. That's what i'm talking about. Looks like he went heads-up with Holiday Flare. That one was last seen running third in a maiden race @ Calder. Worth noting he broke from the 10-hole going five furlongs.

FWIW, Holiday Flare is entered @ Gulfstream today.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Don't forget, both are entered today inthe 7th race @ Gulfstream.
    edited January 2011
    Oh, I haven't forgotten. Btw, Holiday Flare was scratched yesterday, so no additional information there.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Trippi's Charm and R King of the Road have both been entered in a state-bred race on Thursday, with Velazquez named on both (meaning one will definitely scratch). Seeing as how R King of the Road was entered-and-scratched under identical circumstances once before, it wouldn't shock me if Trippi's Charm is the one that gets scratched this time. We'll see...

JJ is listed on Trippi's Charm now, they both will run according to Equibase.
    edited January 2011
    Hey FB, do you have Formulator or anything? I'm wondering how Pletcher does with Castellano. I know he doesn't use him all that often. And i do find it pretty strange that Velazquez would be on R King of the Road here, instead of the other way around. Both are very capable riders though (Castellano won for me yesterday aboard Gloomy I'm Knot, in fact), and frankly i don't care which horse wins. As long as one of them does, lol.
    edited February 2011
    Pink Blanket (2/4 @ SA, Race 4)

Hugely impressive performance by this first-time starter yesterday. He completely blew the start (looked like he hit the side of the gate coming out) to be off several lengths last, but then rushed up almost immediately to pass the entire herd and challenge the loose frontrunner who had gotten clear. Put that one away ionmto the stretch and started to open up, while i basically just sat there in amazement, thinking ****-shit, he's gonna win this race anyway! It wasn't to be though, as a Kory Owens firster came and got him late, but he was well-claer for second and obviously would've won with ease if not for the starting gate mishap. Today's race was 5 1/2 furlongs, i'd like to see him stay short next time, but this horse can run. Figures tough to stop when run back, quite possibly on a class-jump (this one was a MCL75).
    edited February 2011
    Naples Bay (2/9 @ GP, Race 6)

I gave this filly out here yesterday, so you can see what i wrote about her before the race. This half-sister to the multiple Grade 1 winner Med D'Oro broke well from the inside but let the others go, and ended up being steadied a bit into the first turn. Settled down along the rail several lengths off the pace while caught inside some traffic, then made a pretty nice move up the backstretch that ended up being very brief, as she got caught bewteen horses while attempting to split and had to just sit thee and wait for room. That pretty much continued around the turn and into the lane, but then was able to finally split horses and get some running room in upper stretch before rolling on by the leaders pretty easily to post a sharp win. As mentioned in my other post, she had been working with a couple of older stakes horses heading into her debut yesterday, and coupled with her big-time breeding and the big performance here, it looks like she may be a very nice one. Here's the replay if you wanna take a look; she's the #2 horse in the maroon silks:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/GP/2011/2/9/6/race-6
    edited February 2011
    How She Rolls (2/13 @ GP, Race 2)

First-time starter for Kelly Breen hopped badly at the start to be off very slow, then made a very sharp run from last to pass most of the field before getting caught extremely wide (and then being bumped) coming around the turn. Clearly has more talent than will show in the PP's next time out, and could be pretty tough at a price.
    edited March 2011
    Pink Blanket (2/4 @ SA, Race 4)

Hugely impressive performance by this first-time starter yesterday. He completely blew the start (looked like he hit the side of the gate coming out) to be off several lengths last, but then rushed up almost immediately to pass the entire herd and challenge the loose frontrunner who had gotten clear. Put that one away ionmto the stretch and started to open up, while i basically just sat there in amazement, thinking ****-shit, he's gonna win this race anyway! It wasn't to be though, as a Kory Owens firster came and got him late, but he was well-claer for second and obviously would've won with ease if not for the starting gate mishap. Today's race was 5 1/2 furlongs, i'd like to see him stay short next time, but this horse can run. Figures tough to stop when run back, quite possibly on a class-jump (this one was a MCL75).

Pink Blanket is entered on Saturday...
    edited March 2011
    Oh brother.....Brad Free had to go and tell everyone.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Oh brother.....Brad Free had to go and tell everyone.

Don't worry about your price as Temptation Bound will be a live clocker play today, as she is buzzing through the backstretch, I'm personally on Home Sweet Aspen and the last work on the 9th has me all in on the cutback.

fb
    edited March 2011
    Nice call on Home Sweet Aspen. Pink Blanket had trouble at the break again. Not sure if it would've madea difference though, Home Sweet Aspen ran huge.
    edited March 2011
    How She Rolls (2/13 @ GP, Race 2)

First-time starter for Kelly Breen hopped badly at the start to be off very slow, then made a very sharp run from last to pass most of the field before getting caught extremely wide (and then being bumped) coming around the turn. Clearly has more talent than will show in the PP's next time out, and could be pretty tough at a price.

How She Rolls is entered today.......5/1 ml
    edited March 2011
    How She Rolls ran second @ 6/1.
    edited March 2011
    Came upon something very interesting @ Gulfstream today. The Todd Pletcher firster Travelin Man won by about 6 lengths in 1:09 flat, and guess what? Coming into today's race, he had worked heads-up with an unraced horse named Trippi's Charm, not just once, but 6 out his his last 8 drills. So very obviously, keep an eye out for Trippi's Charm. He's not entered in the next few days, but perhaps next week sometime.

Along those same lines, Travelin Man also worked heads-up in his most recent drill with R King of the Road, who was scratched out of today's race when Pletcher opted to run Travelin Man (Velazquez was named aboard both, meaning one would scratch for sure). So keep an eye out for him as well.

Trippi's Charm has been entered on Sunday. Definitely worth a look here, because i find it very hard to believe that he could've run that poorly first time out based on a lack of talent. Will be interesting to see what he's ben up to over the last month or so; i'll post back here after i look at the PP's.
    edited March 2011
    Curiosity got the better of me, so i went ahead and looked it up now. It turns out that Trippi's Charm worked heads-up with the older turf-stakes horse Loup Breton on March 6. Prior to that, he worked heads-up in a team drill with Katz My Song and Blimey on Feb 20. Blimey came out of that drill to win a one-mile maiden race last Sunday.
    edited March 2011
    Dominus (9/18 @ BEL, Race 7)

2yo Asmussen firster stumbled pretty badly a few steps out of the gate, and quickly found himself several lengths be hind as a result. Looked like he was being pushed on pretty hard approaching the turn, but began to respond very strongly in the lane, making up solid ground along the rail before shifting out for some room in midstretch and blowing past the favorite Joe Vann for second. May very well have been best yesterday, and deserves a long look next time out.

Been away a long time, but this one is entered @ Santa Anita on Saturday.
    edited March 2011

I gave this filly out here yesterday, so you can see what i wrote about her before the race. This half-sister to the multiple Grade 1 winner Med D'Oro broke well from the inside but let the others go, and ended up being steadied a bit into the first turn. Settled down along the rail several lengths off the pace while caught inside some traffic, then made a pretty nice move up the backstretch that ended up being very brief, as she got caught bewteen horses while attempting to split and had to just sit thee and wait for room. That pretty much continued around the turn and into the lane, but then was able to finally split horses and get some running room in upper stretch before rolling on by the leaders pretty easily to post a sharp win. As mentioned in my other post, she had been working with a couple of older stakes horses heading into her debut yesterday, and coupled with her big-time breeding and the big performance here, it looks like she may be a very nice one. Here's the replay if you wanna take a look; she's the #2 horse in the maroon silks:

This one is entered today as well...
    edited March 2011
    Dominus wins by open lengths @ $4.60
    edited March 2011
    Naples Bay also wins @ $6.20

2-for-2 on the Horses To Watch today! :drinking:
    edited April 2011
    Eye Candy Annie (4/20 @ KEE, Race 7)

First-time starter for the extremely obscure trainer John Dyer broke a bit slowly from the gate, which caused her to be shuffled back a bit and then petty much buried down on the rail towards the rear of the pack. Made a sudden, sharp move up the rail approaching the turn and then swung out for running room on the turn, then just kept on coming throughout the length of the stretch to pass everyone and get up for a head win. Very impressive performance, especially considering it was her career debut. Talented, strong-willed animal that is definitely worth keeping an eye on.
    edited May 2011

The still-unbeaten Naples Bay makes her stakes debut on Monday, in the Grade 2 Sands Point @ Belmont..
    edited July 2011
    I think i may have picked up some very good information the other day. While handicapping the opening day Shuylerville Stakes fior 2yo fillies, i was doing some research on the favorite Georgie's Angel (a Pletcher trainee that had gone wire-to-wire @ Churchill earlier this month, winning by 6 lengths in 51 1/5). Well, i found that in Georgie's Angel's final drill before the Shuylerille, she had apparently been outworked by an unraced 2yo barnmate named Bluegrass Star. That was impressive enough (for Bluegrass Star), but then Georgie's SAngel made it look even better, winning the Schuylerville impressively as the odds-on favorite. Unfortunately, i've only got them working together the one tme, but by all means, be in the lookout for Bluegrass Star. He may be a very good one.
    edited August 2011
    Lanida (8/6 @ DMR, Race 4)

3yo firster for Puype broke a tad awkwardly and then was immediately wrangled back to last by the rider (Quinonez), dropping some 10 lengths behind the early pace down the backstretch. Despite this, Quinonez remained still in the saddle, refusing to ask for any run until they approached the turn. Once asked, Lanida took off very strongly, looping around the field on the turn while of course giving up even more ground in the process. Leveled off beautifully into stretch and was coming very strongly, reaching out with big, powerful strides down the lane. Just had too much to do to catch the winner, but did end up second after the strong rally. Worth noting here that Puype is very strong with second-time starters, and there's no doubt in my mind that Lanida was much the best here. Figure to improve second time out for Puype (especially with a better ride), and should be very tough to handle next time out.
    edited August 2011
    Okay then. Let's first preface my remarks by posting a video of Laertes (#6 horse, racing along the rail), who was a first-time starter for trainer Roger Attfield @ Woodbine yesterday:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/CAN/WO/2011/8/12/5/race-5

As you can see, he was quite impressive, and boy do we have some nice information here. Laertes has a special training partner named Seekingthediamond, an unraced colt by Perfect Soul who had worked heads-up with Laertes no less than 9 times in a row heading into that race yesterday. Have to think that he'll be entered very soon, perhaps next week.
    edited August 2011
    Okay then. Let's first preface my remarks by posting a video of Laertes (#6 horse, racing along the rail), who was a first-time starter for trainer Roger Attfield @ Woodbine yesterday:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/CAN/WO/2011/8/12/5/race-5

As you can see, he was quite impressive, and boy do we have some nice information here. Laertes has a special training partner named Seekingthediamond, an unraced colt by Perfect Soul who had worked heads-up with Laertes no less than 9 times in a row heading into that race yesterday. Have to think that he'll be entered very soon, perhaps next week.

Doing a little more research on this one, i found that he's a half-brother to the graded stakes winner Internallyflawless. Btw, still not entered at least thru Saturday...
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    i meant to post this a little bit ago but forgot...a maiden named unusual beam was well meant on aug.5 but got a rough trip but finished a good third...watch for this one next out...if you go to calracing.com you can watch his latest race..
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Seekingthediamond entered Aug 21st Woodbine Race 1