Horses to Watch

Comments

• jaanisjaanis Junior Member
    edited October 2010
    Looking forward to some good horses to watch in this thread.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Here's one i gave out on my site today. Can't tell you how impressed i was with this filly. She broke slowly to find herself caught behind horses, was moving noticeably well all the way up the backstretch and was clearly full of run entering the lane, but was still caught behind horses and didn't have much rpom at all. Came through a small opening the second it opened up, then came roaring up the rail while squeezing through another tight spot inside the leader in deep stretch. Won going away as much the best. This filly can run, guys. Check out the replay on the Keeneland website...

Keeneland - Race 4

#2 It's About Midnight (5/1 ml)

Very, very interesting 3yo filly here for Dan Peitz. She brought $725,000 as a yearling back in 2008, a huge price for any yearling, but especially so for a female. Making it more interesting is that this filly is owned by Robert and Lawana Low, the same owners that Peitz trained the sensational filly Capote Belle for many years ago. Reportedly has looked sharp in her training over the local polytrack, and figures to come out running here. Could be a good one.
    edited October 2010
    New horse-to-watch to report on. Heading into Saturday's 10th race @ Keeneland, i had an eye on #9 Philology, beacuse he had worked heads-up 3 out of his last 4 drills (and at two different tracks) with an unraced barnmate named Rampaige. In the race, Philology rallied strongly in the lane to take second, behind an impressive winner in Twinspired. So it looks like Rampaige will deserve a serious look when entered, which i'm guessing will be this coming week.

Edit: Rampaige has been entered Thursday. No morning line yet.

Incidentally, Philology was 10/1 on the morning line. Hopefully, Rampaige will be listed at a similar number.

Just got done going over the race. The only other horse that really sticks out to me is #11 Shadow Warrior (10/1 ml). Easily the best-bred horse in the race, being by AP Indy out of Victory Ride, who was a pretty solid stakes filly several years back. More importantly though, Shadow Warrior worked heads-up on Oct 10 with Cane Garden Bay, who came out of that drill to win for this trainer last Saturday. Prior to that, he also worked heads-up with Veiled Prophet, an older allowance winner who ran 4th in a graded stakes earlier this year. Might make for a nice exacta if they run in together.
  • jenroypajenroypa Senior Member
    edited October 2010
    Curlinello is entered on Saturday. What i find kind of interesting here is that it looks like Pletcher has gone out of his way to enter this colt at 7 furlongs. The race Saturday is 7 furlongs, and remember that he was entered for main-track-only in that turf race last Friday, which gets transferred to 7 furlongs on the main track if it comes off the turf. He also passed on some 6 furlong races during the interim.

Saturday Monmouth 9th race 1M..think his ml is 9-5.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited October 2010
    the pamplemousse....hollywood 5f 59.60 h...looks like he is ready...entry soon????
    edited October 2010
    I was thinking the same thing...the fast 5-furlong drill might be the pre-race blowout. Wouldn't be shocked if they start him off sprinting again, but we'll see.

Also of interest on the SoCal worktab, Sidney's Candy worked 7 furlongs today. I read some very positive quotes from Sadler regarding his current condition, so i'm happy about that, of course. Still a bit concerned about the layoff, as he hasn't been at his best when coming off previous breaks. The situation is different this time however, because we KNOW he'll be 100% cranked (whereas he wasn't when coming off the other breaks).

One more thing to put in the Horse-to-Watch thread today. I had a real nice winner on my site yesterday, a state-bred Rudy Rodriguez firster @ Belmont named Verbosity ($21.20). Be advised, in his final pre-race drill, Verbosity had worked heads-up with an unraced horse named Smooth Bore. I suspect that one will be entered next weekend, or shortly thereafter.
    edited November 2010
    Here's one i gave out on my site today. Can't tell you how impressed i was with this filly. She broke slowly to find herself caught behind horses, was moving noticeably well all the way up the backstretch and was clearly full of run entering the lane, but was still caught behind horses and didn't have much rpom at all. Came through a small opening the second it opened up, then came roaring up the rail while squeezing through another tight spot inside the leader in deep stretch. Won going away as much the best. This filly can run, guys. Check out the replay on the Keeneland website...

Keeneland - Race 4

#2 It's About Midnight (5/1 ml)

Very, very interesting 3yo filly here for Dan Peitz. She brought $725,000 as a yearling back in 2008, a huge price for any yearling, but especially so for a female. Making it more interesting is that this filly is owned by Robert and Lawana Low, the same owners that Peitz trained the sensational filly Capote Belle for many years ago. Reportedly has looked sharp in her training over the local polytrack, and figures to come out running here. Could be a good one.

Heads-up, guys. She's entered on the Breeders Cup undercard...
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    Heads up right back at you DC, Economic Summit is entered in a stakes @ Aqueduct today.
    edited November 2010
    I saw that, thanks. I was actually looking briefly at the horse who dueled with Uncle Mo last time out, but i hated how he shortened stride late. That did flatter Uncle Mo though, lol.
    edited November 2010
    Dominus (9/18 @ BEL, Race 7)

2yo Asmussen firster stumbled pretty badly a few steps out of the gate, and quickly found himself several lengths behind as a result. Looked like he was being pushed on pretty hard approaching the turn, but began to respond very strongly in the lane, making up solid ground along the rail before shifting out for some room in midstretch and blowing past the favorite Joe Vann for second. May very well have been best yesterday, and deserves a long look next time out.

Dominus is entered in Race 10 @ Churchill today.
    edited November 2010
    Rampaige is also entered in Race 6 on Sunday @ Philly
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    Dominus has scratched at CD today
    edited November 2010
    Thanks Jerman.

I wasn't aware Rampaige was entered Sunday, i'll have to make a note of that. Thanks FL.
    edited November 2010
    A few weeks ago, I gave out a nice 9/1 winner on my site named Verbosity. That Rudy Rodriguez-trained firster was coming into the race off a heads-up gate drill with an unraced filly named Smooth Bore. That one has now been entered in a maiden-claimer on Wednesday, 6/1 morning line. Worth a look, for sure.
    edited November 2010
    Cat,

Does Verbosity's performance in the 3rd today change your mind at all on Smooth Bore?
    edited November 2010
    Slow start, rushed up. Went 5 or 6 wide at turn and down middle of track for I think 4th.. Nice run. Will keep an eye on. Thx.
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, she completely missed the break. Looked like she hit the side of the gate on the way out. Might've cost her the race, tough to tell. Huge price too, she went off @ 21/1.
    edited December 2010
    Quick update on an unraced horse that's currently down @ Palm Meadows. His name is The Bird, and he actually worked heads-up from the gate with Dialed In shortly before that one's huge debut win @ Churchill for trainer Nick Zito. Zito doiesn't win real often with firsters these days, but considering the circumstances, The Bird will deserve a very close look when he's entered @ Gulfstream.

Here's the maiden win by Dialed In that i'm referring to:

http://www1.drf.com/replays/dailyreplays.jsp?RACE=173
    edited December 2010
    Rampaige entered this weekend as well. Believe @ Remington if Im correct.
    edited December 2010
    That maiden race Rampaige won @ Keeneland has been pretty live, despite the piss-poor Beyers that everyone received. At least one return winner and a second-place that i know of (not counting Rampaige's second in the stakes).
  • HoudiniHoudini Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    Houdini wrote: »
    Turbulent Descent 2 year old filly won her debut impressively.She won by a half length and was never asked,very confident ride by Flores 2 nd place finisher made a strong bid and TD just shrugged her off.Looks like any kind.

Wrote this right after seeing the race,since she is 3 for 3 and IS THE BEST 2 YEAR OLD RACING THIS INCLUDES UNCLE MO.
    edited December 2010
    Smooth Bore goes today in the 5th at AQU.. Hopefully he gets out of the gate a little better this time.
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. Too bad she won't be 20/1 this time.
    edited December 2010
    Smooth Bore broke slowly again, and came running late for second. Almost felt like i was watching a replay of her last one.
    edited January 2011
    Came upon something very interesting @ Gulfstream today. The Todd Pletcher firster Travelin Man won by about 6 lengths in 1:09 flat, and guess what? Coming into today's race, he had worked heads-up with an unraced horse named Trippi's Charm, not just once, but 6 out his his last 8 drills. So very obviously, keep an eye out for Trippi's Charm. He's not entered in the next few days, but perhaps next week sometime.

Along those same lines, Travelin Man also worked heads-up in his most recent drill with R King of the Road, who was scratched out of today's race when Pletcher opted to run Travelin Man (Velazquez was named aboard both, meaning one would scratch for sure). So keep an eye out for him as well.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    DC:

I quickly read through this post yesterday. Later in the day, I noticed that pletcher had a horse entered at GP named R Gypsy Gold, who I mistook for R King of the Road. Naturally, I placed a good sized wager across the board and R Gypsy Gold ran 2nd and paid $13.40 & $6.80. Sometimes dumb luck is better than no luck at all!
    edited January 2011
    Wtg John, lol.
    edited January 2011
    Came upon something very interesting @ Gulfstream today. The Todd Pletcher firster Travelin Man won by about 6 lengths in 1:09 flat, and guess what? Coming into today's race, he had worked heads-up with an unraced horse named Trippi's Charm, not just once, but 6 out his his last 8 drills. So very obviously, keep an eye out for Trippi's Charm. He's not entered in the next few days, but perhaps next week sometime.

Along those same lines, Travelin Man also worked heads-up in his most recent drill with R King of the Road, who was scratched out of today's race when Pletcher opted to run Travelin Man (Velazquez was named aboard both, meaning one would scratch for sure). So keep an eye out for him as well.

No workouts in 12 days for this one. Hope nothing is wrong...

Trippi's Charm

12/30/2010 PMM 5F 1:03.20 Dirt Fast B
    12/20/2010 PMM 5F 1:02.00 Dirt Fast B
    12/13/2010 PMM 4F :49.40 Dirt Fast B G
    12/06/2010 PMM 5F 1:01.10 Dirt Fast H
    11/28/2010 PMM 5F 1:01.30 Dirt Fast B
    11/21/2010 PMM 5F 1:00.20 Dirt Fast H
    10/31/2010 MTH 4F :50.40 Dirt Fast B
    10/24/2010 MTH 3F :36.00 Dirt Fast B
    edited January 2011
    Important update on Trippi's Charm. Not only did he work heads-up on multiple ocasions with the impressive debut winner Travelin Man, but his most recent drill (again, surprisingly 13 days ago) came heads-up with Razmataz. That drill was flattered yesterday, when Razmataz came out of it to win an allowance race @ Gulfstream. Really think we have something here, i just hope there isn't some kind of issue keeping him on the sidelines. Crossing my finhgers he'll turn up on this morning's worktab.
    edited January 2011
    you can uncross your fingers Cat.. Just got this-
    This notice is to inform you that one or more of your horses has worked out.

Trippi's Charm (3-Year-Old Colt)

Date: January 13, 2011
    Track: PALM MEADOWS TRAINING CENTER
    Distance: Five Furlongs
    Time: 1.01:30 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt