Horses to Watch

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Another unraced horse to watch for. Yesterday's 2yo race @ Belmont was won impressively by a well-bet Violette firster named Bail Out the Cat. That one had worked heads-up with an unraced barnmate named Pretend and Extend (also entered yesterday but scratched) on 5 different occasions. They also worked together a 6th time, with Pretend and Extend getting the better of it on a wet track (definitely something to keep in mind if you see him entered on a sloppy track). Incidentally, those six drills compose their entire respective worktabs, so you would've been hard-pressed to find any two unraced colts who mirror each other to any greater degree. And since the first one won impressively, well...let's just keep an eye out for this one. Should be entered back soon.

Heads-up, Pretend and Extend is entered in Belmont's 2nd race on Friday. 7/2 morning line.
    edited June 2010
    Another Emerald Downs horse to watch for. Yesterday's 2yo race was won by the Jim Penney firster The Gang and I, who went wire-to-wire in fractions of 21.4, 45.2, and 51.4. What's notable here is that The Gang and I had worked heads-up 3 straight times with another Penney horse named Big Bad Brown (who was actually entered in Race 1 today, but is scratched). That bodes very well for Big Bad Brown, especially considering Penney hits at almost 30% with first-time starters. Look for this horse to be entered next week.
  • IcemanIceman Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Good stuff in here. Hope to add some things in the future. Thanks for sharing all.
    edited June 2010
    Going back to our old friend Mr. Vegas here. He turned back into a 7-furlong turf sprint last month @ Be lmont, and ran a heckuva nice race, tons better than it will look like on paper when he's entered next time out (which should be pretty soon).

Here's the replay, have a look. Mr. Vegas is #6, and he's racing along the rail under a very snug hold, but got trapped behind horses while full of run and simply had nowhere to go.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/BEL/2010/5/27/7/race-7
    edited July 2010
    Another Emerald Downs horse to watch for. Yesterday's 2yo race was won by the Jim Penney firster The Gang and I, who went wire-to-wire in fractions of 21.4, 45.2, and 51.4. What's notable here is that The Gang and I had worked heads-up 3 straight times with another Penney horse named Big Bad Brown (who was actually entered in Race 1 today, but is scratched). That bodes very well for Big Bad Brown, especially considering Penney hits at almost 30% with first-time starters. Look for this horse to be entered next week.

Big Bad Brown is entered tomorrow.......in a stakes
    edited July 2010
    I mentioned earlier in FB's thread that Wine Police (a super-impressive 7-length winner @ Saratoga yesterday) had worked heads-up twice in a row (once from the gate) with an unraced AP Indy colt named Astrology. Well, i was just doing a little more research on Astrology, and it turns out that he's a half-brother to Lunargal, who was a 2yo stakes winner for Asmussen a few years back. Expect this one to come out firing.
    edited July 2010
    One horse to keep an eye on is Switch. An impressive winner over Blind Luck in her previous start, she somehow went off @ 5/1 in the San Clemente Handicap, and was close up behind the leaders turning for home with plenty of gas left in the tank. Unfortunately, she had been completely boxed in up to that point, and simply had nowhere to go, and by the time she was finally able to get through a small opening along the rail around the midstretch mark, several others (most notably the runaway winner Evening Jewel) had gotten away from her. You can clearly see that she was crying out for room in the stretch, and although she finished well-beaten and failed to hit the board, she did respond noticeably well once she got through, and it was obvious she would've been a major threat had she gotten some room earlier.

Check out the replay, Switch is the #5 horse with the purple silks:

YouTube - 2010 San Clemente Hdcp GII. Evening Jewel
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    a horse ive been meaning to post about is otto von voom because he ran in a one mile turf 50k claimer to close out the card on saturday..the horse was loaded and had no where to go..he also got claimed by hollendorfer out of the race so look for this guy to come back soon and maybe jumping up in class....
  • thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    watched the race live and went right to the computer to put him into the stable OTTO VON VOOM i just love saying that name
    edited July 2010
    lol...switched to hollendorfer so be prepare to fire back...
    edited July 2010
    I mentioned earlier in FB's thread that Wine Police (a super-impressive 7-length winner @ Saratoga yesterday) had worked heads-up twice in a row (once from the gate) with an unraced AP Indy colt named Astrology. Well, i was just doing a little more research on Astrology, and it turns out that he's a half-brother to Lunargal, who was a 2yo stakes winner for Asmussen a few years back. Expect this one to come out firing.

Astrology has been entered on Saturday.
    edited July 2010
    mr vegas just fired at arlington and paid 21.60... He couldnt win last time when i needed him to hit the$300 pik3 NOOOOOOO he wins today aND i had 2 bucks left in my friggen account ... hey at least i got 21.60 now in my account ...oh how i love this game!!
    edited July 2010
    always when you dont have them heavy...
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    thebox138 wrote: »
    mr vegas just fired at arlington and paid 21.60... He couldnt win last time when i needed him to hit the$300 pik3 NOOOOOOO he wins today aND i had 2 bucks left in my friggen account ... hey at least i got 21.60 now in my account ...oh how i love this game!!

For future references, give the board a heads up when no one else has. Many of us follow the same horses and miss them without reminders. I cant believe I missed this one.
    edited July 2010
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    For future references, give the board a heads up when no one else has. Many of us follow the same horses and miss them without reminders. I cant believe I missed this one.

will do. i didnt know myself till 10 mtp a friend who was at chester called me askin "wasnt Mr Vegas the horse u needed to hit the pik3@belmont , cause he's entered in the upcomin race at arlington."
    edited July 2010
    Going back to our old friend Mr. Vegas here. He turned back into a 7-furlong turf sprint last month @ Be lmont, and ran a heckuva nice race, tons better than it will look like on paper when he's entered next time out (which should be pretty soon).

Here's the replay, have a look. Mr. Vegas is #6, and he's racing along the rail under a very snug hold, but got trapped behind horses while full of run and simply had nowhere to go.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/BEL/2010/5/27/7/race-7

I can't believe it, i missed him too. I didn't bother looking at the Arlington entries with Saratoga going on. I do have Mr. Vegas in my DRF Stable Mail, but i received no notification at all. Zero. If they send me an email with the results, i may throw my computer through the window.
  • FloydrturboFloydrturbo Member
    edited July 2010
    I use Equibase Virtual stable and Drf 's and Equibase's is much better as they give an early notice final notice and race day notice and your right drf sometimes nothing at all.
    edited July 2010
    I use both as well, but i've had problems with Virtual Stable also. Sometimes i won't receive an alert until halfway through the morning on raceday. It doesn't generally matter, because obviously the tracks i'm handicapping are the ones i'll be receiving alerts from, but sometimes a horse will sneak out of town. I'm so pissed that i missed it. Would've been my third $20 winner in less than a week.

Here's the replay. Mr. Vegas is #10 in the green cap.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/AP/2010/7/29/6/race-6
    edited August 2010
    I have some info on unraced 2yo Pletcher colt. His name is Curlinello, and it seems that he's a full-brother to a former Pletcher stakes winner named Pleasant Strike.

Check this out. Pletcher had two open-lengths debut winners today (both given out on my site, btw), Hysterical Cat and Summer Laugh. Both of those horses were coming off team drills with Curlinello, and in fact, Curlinello appeared to have outworked Hysterical Cat from the gate. So be on the lookout for this one; should be entered soon.
    edited August 2010
    woodbine race6 today...delightful mary who is a half sister to delightful kiss brought 500,000 in which her sire limehouse stands for 10k just stalked the pace 3 wide and pounced coming down the lane with a long monsterous stride.....went off at 8/5 and won by 4 or 5 easy...
    edited August 2010
    rayphil wrote: »
    woodbine race6 today...delightful mary who is a half sister to delightful kiss brought 500,000 in which her sire limehouse stands for 10k just stalked the pace 3 wide and pounced coming down the lane with a long monsterous stride.....went off at 8/5 and won by 4 or 5 easy...

Limehouse filly from Hobeau dispersal tops OBS spring sale - Thoroughbred Times
    edited August 2010
    she went 20.40 for a quarter...wow...she ran very well today...would not be surprised to see her pop up in a 2yo stakes soon...
    edited August 2010
    I have some info on unraced 2yo Pletcher colt. His name is Curlinello, and it seems that he's a full-brother to a former Pletcher stakes winner named Pleasant Strike.

Check this out. Pletcher had two open-lengths debut winners today (both given out on my site, btw), Hysterical Cat and Summer Laugh. Both of those horses were coming off team drills with Curlinello, and in fact, Curlinello appeared to have outworked Hysterical Cat from the gate. So be on the lookout for this one; should be entered soon.

Curlinello is entered on Friday in a two-turn grass race, but he's listed as main-track-only. He seems certain to be entered this weekend.
    edited August 2010
    Just checked the entries for Saturday. There are two open MSW sprints on the card, and Curlinello isn't entered in either of them. That's surprising. Looks like Pletcher may want to debut him around two turns, which i guess might explain why he was entered in that Friday turf race. If that's the case though, i have no idea why he was entered main-track only, because there are no two-turn main track races for 2yo's yet (even the turf races that get rained off the turf are transferred to 7 furlongs, i think), and besides, he's a full brother to a stakes-winning turf horse. Pretty weird.
    edited August 2010
    tomorrow

3rd (3:00)

1 1/8 Miles (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds Allowance Optional Claiming ($80,000) | Purse: $57,000

Prg. # PP Horse Jockey Trainer Wt. Claim $ Equip. Med. ML
    1 1 Lyons Barton Rosario J Stute Gary 118 $80,000 L 7-2
    2 2 Seattle Ruler Santiago Reyes C Harrington Mike 118 L 20-1
    3 3 Juniper Pass Blanc B Bell Thomas R II 118 L 10-1
    4 4 Jairzihno (GB) Smith M E Callaghan Simon 118 L 3-1
    5 5 Fantastic Pick (GB) Nakatani C S Lloyd James 118 L 7-2
    6 6 In the Paint Flores D R Mitchell Mike 118 L 5-1
    7 7 Otto Von Voom Bejarano R Hollendorfer Jerry 118 $80,000 L 5-2
    edited August 2010
    Thanks buddyro, good luck with him.
    edited August 2010

Curlinello is entered on Saturday. What i find kind of interesting here is that it looks like Pletcher has gone out of his way to enter this colt at 7 furlongs. The race Saturday is 7 furlongs, and remember that he was entered for main-track-only in that turf race last Friday, which gets transferred to 7 furlongs on the main track if it comes off the turf. He also passed on some 6 furlong races during the interim.
    edited August 2010
    Heads up all!
    Mr Vegas in 7th @ Arlington today.
    Couple tough competitors in here but mr vegas sits @ a juicy 10-1.
    I'll be playing him WP and boxing with Tawaared and Sporty.
    edited August 2010
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Heads up all!
    Mr Vegas in 7th @ Arlington today.
    Couple tough competitors in here but mr vegas sits @ a juicy 10-1.
    I'll be playing him WP and boxing with Tawaared and Sporty.

He ran out. Looked like he was going to come on as they turned for home but didn't have anything in the tank.

Tawaared goes wire to wire and Sporty rallies late to complete the exacta.
    $26 Exacta, so ended up slightly positive for the race.
    edited August 2010

Curlinello wins @ $5.40

Btw, there's another Horse to Watch entered today. Heads up.