Horses to Watch

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Great info, thanks!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    definitly put that one in the stable...steal the shot worked today 4f in 49.04 at bel...hopefully next out going over a mile again in a nw2..
    edited May 2010
    steal the shot was entered on sat at belmont as a mto entrant in a turf alw..
    edited May 2010
    good sign guys....trappe shot worked 4f in 47.82...
    edited May 2010
    steal the shot worked 4f in 49.31 today...this one should be showing up in a race soon...

another horse to watch out for is a filly named kaysa deeya..she was a long shot yesterday in the 6th on the turf..she was running good on the rail and got shuffled back a few lengths and the around the turn she tried to get out in the clear and got hit and almost clipped heels...the reason i mention her is because she looked good during the race and even though she was a long shot she still had trouble...if it was the favorite everyone in the world would of saw it....next out going 1 mile or longer on green
    edited May 2010
    embur song won again today at woodbine at 2-5 by 3...looks to be headed to the canaian oaks in 22 days...
    edited May 2010
    steal the shot is entered in a alw race on thurs at belmont..

6th (3:40)

1 Mile | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Allowance | Purse: $39,000

Post # Horse Jockey Weight Claim Price Equip. Med.
    1 Juicy Jacklyn Rodriguez J 110 L
    2 Game Token Velazquez J R 117 L
    3 Steal the Shot Maragh R 119 L
    4 Spa City Fever Chavez J F 121 L
    5 Shrewd One Prado E S 117 FTL
    6 Next Day Serpa A 116 L
    7 Fortunate Run Jara F 117 L
    edited May 2010
    steal the shot is 4-1 ml...the entry is 4/5
    edited May 2010
    he ran ugly...
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    Heads up,
    Mr Gruff is entered in the Shoemaker Mile tomorrow @ Hollywood.
    What are everyone's thoughts on him stretching out?
    He is too impressive to not think he can handle the added distance. The way he often draws away and gallops out well shows he should be able to handle a bit longer. We'll see tomorrow.
    edited May 2010
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Heads up,
    Mr Gruff is entered in the Shoemaker Mile tomorrow @ Hollywood.
    What are everyone's thoughts on him stretching out?
    He is too impressive to not think he can handle the added distance. The way he often draws away and gallops out well shows he should be able to handle a bit longer. We'll see tomorrow.

He deserves the chance, sure, but it's a tough spot to make your two-turn debut. Will be an interesting race to handicap.
    edited May 2010
    Im trying to remember who has early speed off names (havent picked up PPs yet).
    Compari I believe tends to run on the front end and isn't Noble Court typically a sprinter? So we can expect some speed out of him in the stretch out.

Field is pretty loaded. Isn't Karelian the horse that edged out Gio Ponti at Tampa?
    edited May 2010
    karelian did edge out gio ponti and came back to win after that..noble court was a closing sprinter so i dont think he will be to close...maybe 4 or 5 off.
    edited May 2010
    Just got done handicapping the Shoemaker, and it looks like a very tough spot for Mr. Gruff. Not because he lacks the talent, but there's just a ton speed lined up here, and unless he takes back a bit early (hard to see considering he drew the rail), i think he figures to be a bad side of a potential speed duel. Also note that Compari, though he figures to be on the favorable outside should a speed duel develop, is breaking from the 10-hole with the race starting close tro the turn. Mr. Gruff figures to cut the corner pretty well from his rail draw and get early position on Compari, i think, and considering that one has been pretty one-dimensional so far in his career, i think they may rush him out of the gate pretty strongly early in order to get position, and once he's up there i don't think they'll be slowing down too much, as Karelian figures to be involved early as well. Tangled Tango might even be in the mix. I really think this race might set up for an off-the-pace type. I gave a play out on my site, can't say who it is but it's obviously not one of the ones mentioned above. I have all the respect in the world for Compari, but i do think he's faced some pretty favorable pace scenarios in his last two route wins, and that won't be the case today. Could be vulnerable here.
    edited May 2010
    im going to guess who you have........victors cry...gallant son....
    edited May 2010
    My guess is going to be Gallant Son, mainly because that is who I will be backing.

I firmly believe if Compari did not run I would be smashing Mr Gruff and vice versa.
    With the three likely favorites all pressuring one another on the front I don't see much good happening. As DC notes, the rail may actually work to Mr Gruffs advantage of getting the lead, but the question is how fast will he have to go on the front? He did win from off the pace when he broke slowly a few back, but the combination of the rail, attempting to rate, and mostly importantly his first time stretching out may prove too be too difficult a task.

Small win/place money on Gallant Son for me. Exacta Box Gallant Son/Mr Gruff/Compari incase they are game enough to hold on or one successfully rates.
    edited May 2010
    i also think cnak is coming back to prove something...watch out for him late...
    edited May 2010
    Well, i had the right idea, but i went with the wrong longshot closer. My pick was Blue Chagall. Victor's Cry just won the race @ 20/1.
    edited May 2010
    look back at comment 256...i had you taking him....i have a double with the 6 for 1300....
    edited May 2010
    Nice hit!
  • jenroypajenroypa Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Some good Gulfstream info. I had a very nice winner on Sunday named Tahitian Warrior, a first-time starter for Danny Miller who went wire-to-wire in Race 9 and paid $16.60 to win. The reason i mention this is that Tahitian Warrior had worked heads-up with another horse named Savemyspotimbeting 3 straight times heading into that race. So obviously, that one will deserve a very hard look when he turns up, perhaps as early as this coming weekend (he is not entered at least thru Friday). And as with the winner on Sunday, the price should be very nice due to the low-profile connections.

Got my email this am that Tahitian Warrior is in the Trappe Shot race Saturday.. they are the 2 ml favs in race
    edited June 2010
    im going trappe shot.....hopefully everything is sound...
    edited June 2010
    Tahitian Warrior was purchased privately by Godolphin following that maiden race. They must have just shipped him in.

Btw, reagrding that original post, Savemyspotimbeting ended up winning his debut by 5 lengths..
    edited June 2010
    Very interesting unraced (i think?) horse to watch out for; a little background first.

A couple of horses that i've given out recently have been the Todd Pletcher firsters Zermatt and Embur's Song.

Zermatt ran first of the two, finishing a strong second @ Gulfstream about a length behind at the wire after six furlongs in 109 and change, with over 8 lengths back to the rest of the field.

Embur's Song turned up @ Keeneland last Saturday, and won by 13 lengths while paying $17.60 to win.

What do each of those horses have in common (other than the fact they had worked heads-up together at Palm Meadows)?

They each ALSO worked heads-up (on seperate occasions) with a horse named Cascabella, who as mentioned apperas to be unraced. Be on the lookout for that one, should be entered pretty soon.

Cascabella is entered back today @ Churchill (Race 11), though she's on the MTO list and probably won't run. Interesting that Pletcher has entered her at a mile; perhaps he feels she'll be better with some added ground. Can't say i'm real excited about her anymore, as disappointing as her debut was (no apparent excuse), but just something to keep in mind should she be entered back going long again.

Edit: Looks like she's been entered right back on Saturday, 7 furlongs @ Churchill (Race 9).
    edited June 2010
    2yo to watch for @ Emerald Downs. They ran a maiden race on Sunday, which was won by a Frank Lucarelli colt named Marvin's Magic, who led wire-to-wire in fast time. In Marvin's final workout heading into that race, it looks like he worked heads-up fro the gate with a horse named Flight of a Dream, who i believe is unraced. Probably another Lucarelli 2yo who will be entered soon.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    2yo Dogwood filly "GLACKETY" entered July 7 at Belmont. Well thought of since her days at Aiken where she was running with the likes of 2yo winners Lou Brissie and Firepole. should be ready and able to handle msw NY Bred @ 5F. Currently working at Saratoga OK Tr. track, works are so-so, but that is typical of George Weaver.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    flight of a dream entered on june 12 at emerald downs
    edited June 2010
    Another unraced horse to watch for. Yesterday's 2yo race @ Belmont was won impressively by a well-bet Violette firster named Bail Out the Cat. That one had worked heads-up with an unraced barnmate named Pretend and Extend (also entered yesterday but scratched) on 5 different occasions. They also worked together a 6th time, with Pretend and Extend getting the better of it on a wet track (definitely something to keep in mind if you see him entered on a sloppy track). Incidentally, those six drills compose their entire respective worktabs, so you would've been hard-pressed to find any two unraced colts who mirror each other to any greater degree. And since the first one won impressively, well...let's just keep an eye out for this one. Should be entered back soon.
    edited June 2010
    2yo to watch for @ Emerald Downs. They ran a maiden race on Sunday, which was won by a Frank Lucarelli colt named Marvin's Magic, who led wire-to-wire in fast time. In Marvin's final workout heading into that race, it looks like he worked heads-up fro the gate with a horse named Flight of a Dream, who i believe is unraced. Probably another Lucarelli 2yo who will be entered soon.

Heads up.
    edited June 2010
    Strangely, Flight of a Dream showed no early speed at all, but he did finish well late to take third. Might just need some more ground.