Horses to Watch

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Very much looking forward to seeing Afleet Express. Chicago Gal looks like she may have some mental issues.
  • Road sodaRoad soda Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Thanks!
    edited March 2010
    Hadn't updated this list in a while, so i thought i'd make you guys aware of a situation i've been following @ Gulfstream.

Back on March 7, there was a two-turn maiden race on grass for 3yo fillies. One of the entrants was a Roger Attfield trainee named Perfect Shirl, who incidentally is a half-sister to a big turf star from a few years ago named Shakespeare. Attfield also happened to be an incredible 4-for-7 with first-time starters going a mile-or-longer, so obviously i had some interest in the horse as i was handicapping the race. The way the race unfolded, Perfect Shirl was racing along the rail from several lengths off the pace, then came turning for home while seemingly full of run, but she was unfortunately kind of trapped behind horses. As a result of that, she was never able to threaten the runaway winner, but she did quicken very noticeably one finally getting an opening, surging late to take second. Very well might have won the race (or at least made it close) with a better trip.

Part of my interest here is in Perfect Shirl herself, but while handicapping the race, i came to find out that Perfect Shirl had worked heads-up SIX TIMES IN A ROW with another fily named Perfect Rah. That being the case, i expected Perfect Rah to be entered in a similar grass event very soon, and though it's a bit later than expected, sure enough Perfect Rah has been entered in a $50,000 maiden claimer at a mile on grass this coming Friday. So be sure and give that one a look...

Here's trhe video of the Perfect Shirl race. She's the #5 horse, wearing white silks and racing along the rail in midpack.

YouTube - GULFSTREAM PARK, 2010-03-07, Race 8
    edited March 2010
    Perfect Rah has been listed @ 10/1 ml, guys...
    edited March 2010
    Bulls and Bears (7/30 @ SAR, Race 9)

Pretty much agree, as i stated in Mike's thread earlier today. I didn't see the jockey losing the irons, but here's what i did see. Bulls and Bears got shut off at the start, then suddenly veered outward extremely badly, which contributed greatly to the ground that he lost early (watch the head-on replay). Despite this, he made up a lot of ground while off-camera down the backside, coming very wide into the stretch but still in with what looked to be a legitimate chance to win. Appeared ready to challenge in mid-stretch, but then ducked in badly while apparently shying away from the whip, right back into traffic again. Then had to come outside again, and was gaining slightly again at the wire to only miss by about a length or so. Without even counting the stretch incident (which obviously hurt him), he almost certainly would've won the race with a clean start. The ground the lost at the break just completely overwhelms his losing margin at the wire, and of course he lost some additional ground while coming very wide into the stretch as well. Still think this one is a very nice prospect.

Bulls and Bears makes his long-awaited return in Friday's 9th race @ Gulfstream. Looks like he's been training awfully well, too. Unfortunately, he's listed as the 9/5 ml favorite here, and it's hard to imagine him offering any value in this first-level allowance race. Should be fun to watch though...
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    another horse for you guys to watch is trappe shot..runs in a alw. on sunday at the gulf 3rd race...this horse looked like a freak show when he won his last..talent is unlimited with this guy...
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, will definitely take a look...
    edited March 2010
    took a look at the bulls and bears race...he has the class of the race because he beat the risne star winner...but i also think that nathan h q has a nice shot..this race will show how good he can be..the thing thats weird with him is that his trainer is his jockey...he is 6-1 m/l....
    edited March 2010
    not a good race for bulls and bears but my horse nathan h q won but got bet down to 9-5
    edited March 2010
    I saw that Bulls and Bears ran third, but I haven't looked at the charts or the replay yet. I do know that he worked a heads-up bullet a couple of weeks ago with an unraced barnmate named Bail Out The Banks, who is entered tomorrow, so keep your eye on that one.
    edited March 2010
    bulls and bears made a middle move but flattened out..i like that horse with garcia up for r.violette
    edited March 2010
    trappe shot is 1/9 at gulfstream 3rd
    edited March 2010
    watch out for this guy in a big race soon.....2 nice sprints and should just be getting better with distance...
    edited April 2010
    Hadn't updated this list in a while, so i thought i'd make you guys aware of a situation i've been following @ Gulfstream.

Back on March 7, there was a two-turn maiden race on grass for 3yo fillies. One of the entrants was a Roger Attfield trainee named Perfect Shirl, who incidentally is a half-sister to a big turf star from a few years ago named Shakespeare. Attfield also happened to be an incredible 4-for-7 with first-time starters going a mile-or-longer, so obviously i had some interest in the horse as i was handicapping the race. The way the race unfolded, Perfect Shirl was racing along the rail from several lengths off the pace, then came turning for home while seemingly full of run, but she was unfortunately kind of trapped behind horses. As a result of that, she was never able to threaten the runaway winner, but she did quicken very noticeably one finally getting an opening, surging late to take second. Very well might have won the race (or at least made it close) with a better trip.

Here's the video of the Perfect Shirl race. She's the #5 horse, wearing white silks and racing along the rail in midpack.

YouTube - GULFSTREAM PARK, 2010-03-07, Race 8

Perfect Shirl is entered on Wednesday @ Keeneland.
    edited April 2010
    also steal the shot is entered in a msw on weds at adq. in the 6th at 2-1...2 sprints to a mile should be ready this go..
    edited April 2010
    I'll take a look at that one, thanks.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    Thanks guys booked a small win wager on both.

Another one you guys might want to look into is Recruit in tomorrow's 2nd at GP.
    2 races back as a heavy favorite came from dead last circling the field to run 2nd after the pacesetter went wire to wire through cake fractions. Came back well up in class running 4wide throughout only to fade badly in the stretch. Back in where he fits. 7/2 is ML i believe.
    edited April 2010
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Thanks guys booked a small win wager on both.

Another one you guys might want to look into is Recruit in tomorrow's 2nd at GP.
    2 races back as a heavy favorite came from dead last circling the field to run 2nd after the pacesetter went wire to wire through cake fractions. Came back well up in class running 4wide throughout only to fade badly in the stretch. Back in where he fits. 7/2 is ML i believe.

Wrong horse all together! I got the virtual stable alert and got this one mixed up with another.
    Still worth a play but ignore my analysis lol
    edited April 2010
    Lol, good thing you noticed that!
    edited April 2010
    Very interesting unraced (i think?) horse to watch out for; a little background first.

A couple of horses that i've given out recently have been the Todd Pletcher firsters Zermatt and Embur's Song.

Zermatt ran first of the two, finishing a strong second @ Gulfstream about a length behind at the wire after six furlongs in 109 and change, with over 8 lengths back to the rest of the field.

Embur's Song turned up @ Keeneland last Saturday, and won by 13 lengths while paying $17.60 to win.

What do each of those horses have in common (other than the fcat they had worked heads-up together at Palm Meadows)?

They each ALSO worked heads-up (on seperate occasions) with a horse named Cascabella, who as mentioned apperas to be unraced. Be on the lookout for that one, should be entered pretty soon.
    edited April 2010
    Very interesting unraced (i think?) horse to watch out for; a little background first.

A couple of horses that i've given out recently have been the Todd Pletcher firsters Zermatt and Embur's Song.

Zermatt ran first of the two, finishing a strong second @ Gulfstream about a length behind at the wire after six furlongs in 109 and change, with over 8 lengths back to the rest of the field.

Embur's Song turned up @ Keeneland last Saturday, and won by 13 lengths while paying $17.60 to win.

What do each of those horses have in common (other than the fcat they had worked heads-up together at Palm Meadows)?

They each ALSO worked heads-up (on seperate occasions) with a horse named Cascabella, who as mentioned apperas to be unraced. Be on the lookout for that one, should be entered pretty soon.

Embur's Song won by 13?! I bet him but missed the race. Never got around to watching the replay. Normally when a Pletcher horse is gonna win they dont go off near to ML, let alone above it.
    edited April 2010
    Yep, wire-to-wire by 13 and some change.
    edited April 2010
    apple charlotte worked 4f in 49 today at fair hills.....watchout for this filly if she goes back to the turf...
    edited May 2010
    fresh off his maiden win steal the shot goes 4f in 48.26...a lot of potential with this guy just keep your eye out and ill keep posting...
    edited May 2010
    Cascabella has vacated South Florida and just turned in a slow drill @ Saratoga this morning. Seems like she'll be entered @ Belmont, but i think it's kind of strange she just didn't go straight there.
    edited May 2010
    wow cat..what a boo boo...7th race at hollywood miss pleasent won...we were on this horse when switched to turf to try to break maiden...sent her up to no..cali broke it and came back today to pay 26 bills....ouch
    edited May 2010
    rayphil wrote: »
    wow cat..what a boo boo...7th race at hollywood miss pleasent won...we were on this horse when switched to turf to try to break maiden...sent her up to no..cali broke it and came back today to pay 26 bills....ouch

You're right. She was gone so long i had forgotten about her. Looks like Mandella brought her back and gave her a warmup race, similar to what he did at the start of her career. Here's the old thread...

http://www.horseracingtalk.com/horse-racing-forum/horse-watch-next-out-7551.html
    edited May 2010
    just want to kick myself...ugh
    edited May 2010
    Cascabella was entered in Race 4 @ Belmont today, and showed nothing, finishing a well-beaten third. Huge disappointment.
    edited May 2010
    causeithertz.....megahertz first filly was very green yesterday jumping shadows going 6f on the turf...galloped out strong and talamo toldthe trainer that he liked it and next go 1m or 1 1/8 and she will get the job done....